Texas King

Your favorite grunge-era album?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Your favorite grunge-era album?

• Dirt - Alice in Chains
    • Nevermind - Nirvana
    • Ten - Pearl Jam
    • Badmotorfinger - Soundgarden

AIC is a great band. They kind of define the word grunge with their tuned down raw sound. And Mike Inez is a great bassist and really nice guy.

The drummer is good too, alwayd found what he did, interesting in songs.

• Like 1

The first three Alice In Chains albums might just have blown me apart.

I cannot believe I've been so ignorant of this band they are the bomb shizzle!

• Like 2

Check out the movie Singles if you haven't already. Besides being a good Cameron Crowe flick, it's got cameo performances of AIC & Soundgarden, + Pearl Jam as the non-existent band Citizen DICK fronted by Matt Dillon.

Edited to add the interview scene with Cliff Poncier (Matt Dillon) of Citizen Dick...

:LOL:

Edited by JohnnyBlaze
  • Like 1

Check out the movie Singles if you haven't already. Besides being a good Cameron Crowe flick, it's got cameo performances of AIC & Soundgarden, + Pearl Jam as the non-existent band Citizen DICK fronted by Matt Dillon.

I was just looking at this on Amazon! Love Crowe so I am amazed I've never heard of this.

• Like 1

I was just looking at this on Amazon! Love Crowe so I am amazed I've never heard of this.

Oh man you'll like it! Check out that scene I just edited in in my last post.

Actually, the interviewer in that is Cameron Crowe.

• Like 1

Ok maybe it's just me but AIC self-titled sounds like it could have been Kings X follow up to Faith Hope Love.

I really hear so much KX in the production style and the vocals! It's beautiful.

All three albums are beautiful. My goodness I loved them so much! Like...freakishly deep connection man...and the music is insanely good.

AIC are amazing. 100% A fan.

But still currently voting for Ten.

• Like 1

I also seem to remember Nevermind coming out before Ten.

They were released less than a month apart, with Ten being the earlier of the two, released Aug 27, 1991.

It's interesting how things over time seem different than they actually were. PJ, AiC, Soundgarden had a littl more in common with the AoR bands from before while nirvana was connected a little closer to punk movement. It's the only reason I have for what made nevermind stand out more than the others and seem, in hindsight, like it was so groundbreaking.

Edited by Ancient Ways
  • Like 1

I voted Badmotorfinger, but Superunknown was a better album....more balanced.

Last on my list is Nirvana. All hype and noise with no real musical ability.

Edited by HemiBeers

Bullshit.

Yeah...silly. So many hooks, great melodies with incredible underlying tension.
  • Like 2

They were released less than a month apart, with Ten being the earlier of the two, released Aug 27, 1991.

Then I didn't discover Ten until it was out awhile. Because when Core came out I remember thinking I liked each "new" grunge band more than the last.

Then I didn't discover Ten until it was out awhile. Because when Core came out I remember thinking I liked each "new" grunge band more than the last.

I'm pretty sure Smelled Like Teen Spirit broke on MYV before Evenflow or Jeremy, though

I'm pretty sure Smelled Like Teen Spirit broke on MYV before Evenflow or Jeremy, though

I definitely discovered Teen Spirit first. Then I fell in love with Evenflow.

I know it's about a year and a half later but the album I actually remember blowing up the biggest (though not grunge) and being constantly played everywhere was dookie not nevermind. Everywhere I went that was on all the time.

Now do you understand why you got so much flack for liking Bon Jovi when there was stuff like this out there to enjoy lol.

• Like 1

Now do you understand why you got so much flack for liking Bon Jovi when there was stuff like this out there to enjoy lol.

Ok let me point out...two years ago when I wasn't well I needed empty happy stuff.

Now life is worse but I have more of a handle on things I need music that I can connect with!

I need different things from music at different times in life. You can often tell my state of mind by what I am listening too.

It's bad right now for me and oddly grunge is keeping me from losing hope. It's a reminder to me that I'm not alone. REM as well!

Seriously, the soul and depths of feeling these guys put into their music really, REALLY hits close to home and it's just...invigorating and empowering.

I may never need bands like Bon Jovi again but they were what I needed at that point in life!

Alice In Chains though are exactly the sort of artists I was craving for back in my teens. Amazes me I didn't give them a chance! Oh well...it feels life affirming to be listening to this era at this point in life. Even old favourites like Pearl Jam and REM speak to me on a whole new level now! It is like I am hearing all this for the first time!

• Like 2

Ok let me point out...two years ago when I wasn't well I needed empty happy stuff.

Now life is worse but I have more of a handle on things I need music that I can connect with!

I need different things from music at different times in life. You can often tell my state of mind by what I am listening too.

It's bad right now for me and oddly grunge is keeping me from losing hope. It's a reminder to me that I'm not alone. REM as well!

Seriously, the soul and depths of feeling these guys put into their music really, REALLY hits close to home and it's just...invigorating and empowering.

I may never need bands like Bon Jovi again but they were what I needed at that point in life!

Alice In Chains though are exactly the sort of artists I was craving for back in my teens. Amazes me I didn't give them a chance! Oh well...it feels life affirming to be listening to this era at this point in life. Even old favourites like Pearl Jam and REM speak to me on a whole new level now! It is like I am hearing all this for the first time!

:goodone: Cool to hear you're getting into some AIC, Segue. I'm a mostly outwardly positive, happy (mostly) person with a boatload of life obstacles...but I'm definitely drawn to the dark angst of the "grunge" era. For me AIC is king. They must be a strong outlet for me.

• Like 1

:goodone: Cool to hear you're getting into some AIC, Segue. I'm a mostly outwardly positive, happy (mostly) person with a boatload of life obstacles...but I'm definitely drawn to the dark angst of the "grunge" era. For me AIC is king. They must be a strong outlet for me.

When I was younger, I was drawn to edgy, dark music and style as I always liked things a bit more...intense. When things hit the fan I was, looking back on it, blessed to already have things to call to mind when feeling broken.

And I find as I get older I go back to a lot of what I listened to way before my time on this forum and...i really think I had amazing taste as a kid but lacked the understanding of just how great that music was.

Only in the last six years have I been bingeing on AOR, and my interest in pop is way overblown where it used to be ABBA, and nothing else.

But yes. I really am pleased I am revisiting grunge. I am both familiar with it and in a sense new to it.

• Like 2

Bullshit.

Yeah...silly. So many hooks, great melodies with incredible underlying tension.

and apparently the minority opinion based on poll results so far.

I will admit Nirvana don't move me like the other bands I'm currently hooked on.

But they wrote phenomenal hooks and I can honestly say, to decry them for not being world class musicians is missing the point. They were lightning in a bottle, a flash of brilliance that shone brightly, seemingly from nowhere, made a racket, and I know so many my age, who became teens the decade after this came out, who were awestruck by the brilliance of Nirvana.

They are, to me, one of the most exciting musical acts of all time. Whatever they lack, it isn't excitement or energy, charisma or vitality.

Nirvana turned me to rock music, beginning with a brief snippet of Teen Spirit on a rock documentary way back in early 2004. I found it so exciting I bought my first Nirvana album weeks later and it blew me away.

I would not have had the same reaction to a Yes or Gentle Giant song.

Fantastic soundtrack...in addition to those mentioned above, it has a great Screaming Trees song on it as well.

• Like 1

Fantastic soundtrack...in addition to those mentioned above, it has a great Screaming Trees song on it as well.

I just bought my first Screaming Trees album.

• Like 2

Excellent!

That early to just-barely-mid-1990s period is as classic and defining a moment for grunge (from '91 to absolutely no later than early '94) as a similar two or three-year period was in the late '60s bridging into the early '70s was, for classic rock. The label that the genre carried, carried on- but in those early days of it, it was really something special indeed.

That's some great stuff you're getting into lately.

• Like 1

Excellent!

That early to just-barely-mid-1990s period is as classic and defining a moment for grunge (from '91 to absolutely no later than early '94) as a similar two or three-year period was in the late '60s bridging into the early '70s was, for classic rock. The label that the genre carried, carried on- but in those early days of it, it was really something special indeed.

That's some great stuff you're getting into lately.

Go back ten years...grunge was one of my favourite things.

I've returned to it and after a couple of weeks playing what I already know I'm now expanding it. And oh my word what treasures!

I agree with you absolutely. Amazing era and so many my age feel a part of it, because at least where I live grunge was still huge in the media up until like 2006 (with retrospective articles, re-releases, the fact all our new bands loved those old bands).

I've adored finally getting into Alice In Chains.

I have also loved getting back into Pearl Jam, Stone Temple Pilots and Temple Of The Dog again.

One notable exception I've yet to return too is Soundgarden.

As for Nirvana, I've never been that far away from their music. But even they have grown in appeal to me.

I absolutely love grunge now more than I did as a kid. It makes total sense to me where I am in life right now.

• Like 2