Rank the Pink Floyd albums

Funny, everyone seems to love Animals and Dark Side.

Why is it funny? They are probably, beginning to end, the best two Floyd albums.

More like interesting I guess. I don't disagree; those are my favorite two Floyd albums (and the only really essential ones in my life). However, it's really interesting to see how opinions on even WYWH and The Wall are very much split in this community, though in general they receive as much, or more, praise as Animals and DSOTM by critics and fans alike. Maybe it's a Rush fan thing to be attracted to Animals and Dark Side, or maybe it's just a coincidence. I think it's neat/interesting/funny nonetheless.

• Like 1

Why is it funny? They are probably, beginning to end, the best two Floyd albums.

More like interesting I guess. I don't disagree; those are my favorite two Floyd albums (and the only really essential ones in my life). However, it's really interesting to see how opinions on even WYWH and The Wall are very much split in this community, though in general they receive as much, or more, praise as Animals and DSOTM by critics and fans alike. Maybe it's a Rush fan thing to be attracted to Animals and Dark Side, or maybe it's just a coincidence. I think it's neat/interesting/funny nonetheless.

On this forum Wish You Were Here and The Wall have critics. I am one of them. Other that "Shine On You Crazy Diamond", I think Wish You Were Here is mediocre Floyd, plus overplayed. The Wall is brilliant in spurts, but overall its incoherent and threaded with half ideas.

• Like 1

On this forum Wish You Were Here and The Wall have critics. I am one of them. Other that "Shine On You Crazy Diamond", I think Wish You Were Here is mediocre Floyd, plus overplayed. The Wall is brilliant in spurts, but overall its incoherent and threaded with half ideas.

I tend to be one of those critics as well (well, I may have gotten a bit more into The Wall recently), but what I find interesting is that such a trend of criticism for those two and such a trend of love for the other two even exist here, being a bit different from the general trends outside this forum.

1. Wish you Were Here

2. Dark Side of the Moon

3. Animals

4. Meddle

5. The Wall

6. The Final Cut

7. The Division Bell

8. Atom Heart Mother

9. Obscured by Clouds

10.Saucerful of Secrets

11. Ummagumma

12. Piper at the Gates of Dawn

13. More

14. A Momentary Lapse of Reason

15. The Endless River

positions 1-7 would be albums I love

positions 8-12 would be albums I like

positions 13-14 would be albums that are too hit/miss for me

position 15 is meh.

Favorite post-Floyd album: Amused to Death - one of my all-time favorites. I'm very much looking forward to Roger's new disc (May 19!!)

Pink Floyd concerts I've seen: Momentary Lapse of Reason (Syracuse, NY 1987), Division Bell (Tampa, FL 1993)

I've also seen Roger Water on two different tours.

• Like 1

Great

01. Meddle

02. Animals

03. Dark Side of the Moon

04. Saucerful of Secrets

05. Wish You Were Here

Good

06. Atom Heart Mother

07. Obscured By Clouds

08. Piper At The Gates Of Dawn

OK, Occasionally Uneven

09. The Wall

10. More

11. Division Bell

12. Momentary Lapse of Reason

Very Spotty

14. Ummagumma (based on studio content only)

13. Endless River

Don't like it

15. The Final Cut

• Like 1

1. The Final Cut

2. Animals

3. Dark Side'

4. Meddle

5. Wish You Were Here

6. Obscured by Clouds

7. The Division Bell

8. Atom Heart Mother

9. The Wall

Than I honestly don't care for those Early early albums or Momentary Lapse

Mick

Is The Wall's low ranking a "burned out" thing, or do you just not like the songs?

the Wall is good but it's so filler loaded to me anyway. i really have to be in the mood for it.

funny thing is.......it works WAY better live for me.

i saw Roger's recent wall show. and wow does it really work better live.

Mick

I love The Wall. It works best as a single piece of work for me. To be honest, it was only after I saw the film in a theater, after getting high, that it really clicked for me.

• Like 1

Animals

Wish You Were Here

The Dark Side of the Moon

The Wall

Meddle

The Final Cut

Obscured by Clouds

The Piper at the Gates of Dawn

A Saucerful of Secrets

The Division Bell

Ummagumma

More

Atom Heart Mother

A Momentary Lapse of Reason

The Endless River

I'm the only person to put Atom Heart Mother that low. I've just never been able to get into that album at all.

• Like 1

Interestingly, for some reason I listened to The Delicate Sound of Thunder and Is There Anybody Out There? yesterday never seeing this thread.

And A Momentary Lapse of Reason is my favorite album title of all time.

A cool album title for sure, yet also appropriate for Gilmour's state of mind when he decided to write most of the music for it : wacko:

Interestingly, for some reason I listened to The Delicate Sound of Thunder and Is There Anybody Out There? yesterday never seeing this thread.

And A Momentary Lapse of Reason is my favorite album title of all time.

A cool album title for sure, yet also appropriate for Gilmour's state of mind when he decided to write most of the music for it : wacko:

Totally off topic, but I just saw in your sig that we were in the same building. Quest Center baby! :cheers:

Ranked....

1. Meddle

2. Wish You Were Here

3. Animals

4. Dark Side of the Moon

5. Saucerful of Secrets

6. Piper At The Gates of Dawn

7. Obscured by Clouds

8. Early Singles - Cre/ation 2 CD set/Works/Relics etc ... I love these sets.

9. The Division Bell

10. The Wall

11. Ummagumma

12. Momentary Lapse Of Reason

13. Atom Heart Mother

14. The Final Cut

15. More

16. The Endless River

To me the big mystery is the love for the Final Cut. The same people that slag the Wall sing the praises of its music and ideas recycled as a single-album follow up. I can"t decide if it's simply more proggish contrarianism or an attention span issue.

To me the big mystery is the love for the Final Cut. The same people that slag the Wall sing the praises of its music and ideas recycled as a single-album follow up. I can"t decide if it's simply more proggish contrarianism or an attention span issue.

i slag the Wall because it's bloated and just kinda boring if i'm not in the mood

TFC Is more conciese to me and filled with much more heart.

yes.......i realize it's basically waters solo.......but i still love it. it's not about attention span for me......i LOVE plenty of double albums. the wall ain't one of 'em.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

Just cause I can fit in more discussions on this board lol

I seem to have hardly anything in common with the majority here

• Like 1

Just cause I can fit in more discussions on this board lol

I seem to have hardly anything in common with the majority here

I think seem is the key word there buddy. ;)

Idk, I think it's great that your taste is so unconventional compared to a lot of folks. Makes for lots of interesting discussion.

• Like 1

I played dark Side earlier.

still up there with one of the best sounding records ever made.

songs kick ass too.

Mick

People were saying The Wall is something that they can put on anytime earlier. That's my experience with DSOTM. I don't have to be in the mood for it, I don't need it to sweep me away, I don't have any prerequisites for putting it on. It practically plays itself when I play it. It fits pretty much any mood I'm in.

• Like 2

I sympathize with Segue too. i've often in the minority here too......quite often, lol but embrace it. it's makes you......um....you, lol

Mick

I'd love to actually have lengthy chats with people who obsess over Paradise Lost or HIM. But...my days...the fans I find...cringe...

• Like 2