Rank the Pink Floyd albums

I played dark Side earlier.

still up there with one of the best sounding records ever made.

songs kick ass too.

Mick

People were saying The Wall is something that they can put on anytime earlier. That's my experience with DSOTM. I don't have to be in the mood for it, I don't need it to sweep me away, I don't have any prerequisites for putting it on. It practically plays itself when I play it. It fits pretty much any mood I'm in.

DSOTM is perfect. like you said an any mood album for me.

i have to be super depressed to enjoy the Wall....and that's kinda awful. More so than the Final cut

Mick

• Like 1

I sympathize with Segue too. i've often in the minority here too......quite often, lol but embrace it. it's makes you......um....you, lol

Mick

I'd love to actually have lengthy chats with people who obsess over Paradise Lost or HIM. But...my days...the fans I find...cringe...

Reminds me of visiting the Muse boards (though not half as obscure). They're all so set in their ways and stuffy about their fandom that they practically don't talk unless new music comes out, and then they just criticize. Makes me glad I got my dad into Muse.

Sorry, just trying to relate. :D

• Like 2

songs kick ass too.

Mick

People were saying The Wall is something that they can put on anytime earlier. That's my experience with DSOTM. I don't have to be in the mood for it, I don't need it to sweep me away, I don't have any prerequisites for putting it on. It practically plays itself when I play it. It fits pretty much any mood I'm in.

i have to be super depressed to enjoy the Wall....and that's kinda awful. More so than the Final cut

Mick

I don't have to be depressed to enjoy the Wall, but I have to be super attentive to the story and ready to become much more depressed than I was. It's really more like watching a depressing movie than listening to an album.

• Like 1

I prefer the Syd Barrett years, along with the most experimental, improvisatory stuff up to DSotM. Then the tempos turned to sludge and the lyrics were dreary. Piper at the Gates of Dawn stills sounds as fresh as when I first heard it. Lucifer Sam kicks ass.

The last time Roger Waters had fun:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=JvfS7mNPI98

• Like 1

songs kick ass too.

Mick

Mick

I don't have to be depressed to enjoy the Wall, but I have to be super attentive to the story and ready to become much more depressed than I was. It's really more like watching a depressing movie than listening to an album.

Other than a few of the songs, the "hits," essentially, the songs all pretty much rely on their context for their value. The only one that I don't think fits at all is Vera.

• Like 1

I pretty much dig them all, but have to be in the mood. The Wall and Division Bell are two I can listen to pretty much anytime.

Stop over and we'll get in the mood.

• Like 1

Awesome:

Dark Side

Wish You Were Here

The Wall

Very Good:

Ummagumma

Meddle

Animals

AMLOR

Division Bell

Meh or I don't even remember:

Piper

Saucerful

Obscured

Atom Heart

More

The Final Cut

Never Listened to:

Endless River

• Like 1

songs kick ass too.

Mick

Mick

Other than a few of the songs, the "hits," essentially, the songs all pretty much rely on their context for their value. The only one that I don't think fits at all is Vera.

One great thing about the hits is that they actually make way more sense, lyrically and musically, in context here, and I think they're much more awesome in context. Like Comfortably Numb is a great song and all, but it has so much more weight when I picture what's actually going on with the character at that point in the story and how this isn't at all what he needed.

• Like 2

songs kick ass too.

Mick

Mick

One great thing about the hits is that they actually make way more sense, lyrically and musically, in context here, and I think they're much more awesome in context. Like Comfortably Numb is a great song and all, but it has so much more weight when I picture what's actually going on with the character at that point in the story and how this isn't at all what he needed.

Interestingly, the live albums I most enjoy are the Wembley set from the Dark Side deluxe edition, and Is There Anybody Out There. The songs seem a little out of place on The Delicate Sound of Thunder and Pulse (although not the Dark Side stuff of course).

• Like 1

songs kick ass too.

Mick

Mick

Interestingly, the live albums I most enjoy are the Wembley set from the Dark Side deluxe edition, and Is There Anybody Out There. The songs seem a little out of place on The Delicate Sound of Thunder and Pulse (although not the Dark Side stuff of course).

Side 1 on Pulse isn't what the actual set lists were, it was a mixture of a bunch of different first sets from the tour. The concert DVD's first set is maybe half equal to the live album's.

I agree that shoving Hey You in between a couple of songs from The Division Bell is a bit odd, though.

• Like 1

I pretty much dig them all, but have to be in the mood. The Wall and Division Bell are two I can listen to pretty much anytime.

Stop over and we'll get in the mood.

I'll bring the Doritos...

In this moment:

The Dark Side of the Moon

Animals

The Final Cut

Meddle

The Piper at the Gates of Dawn

Wish You Were Here

Atom Heart Mother

A Saucerful of Secrets

Obscured by Clouds