The greatest arena/stadium rock bands?

Texas King

I just realized I see most of my shows in under 20,000 seat venues. Only seen 2 real stadium shows and that was Floyd and U2. That's unlikely to change since I find crowds that large to be too much.
  • Like 1

http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh597/greyfriar2112/the-beatles-shea-stadium_zpsufx4pxm6.jpg
  • Like 2

I just realized I see most of my shows in under 20,000 seat venues. Only seen 2 real stadium shows and that was Floyd and U2. That's unlikely to change since I find crowds that large to be too much.

It's the same with me. I did see The Who and Jethro Tull together in a football stadium and they rocked it. Strangely, so did the Doobie Brothers one summer at Three Rivers Stadium. I saw Aerosmith there as well but the Toxic Twins were a mess that summer and not impressive at that time.

They don't get a lot of love around here, but U2 is a great Arena/Stadium band.

They're the only band I've seen in a huge arena (Oakland Colosseum, ZooTV) and they were great.

They don't get a lot of love around here, but U2 is a great Arena/Stadium band.

I'm revisiting the eighties albums again.

Say what you like about the band members but the music they made during this decade is outstanding.

• Like 2

hmmm, I've seen a few bands at stadium level:

Pink Floyd (Momentary Lapse and Division Bell) - these shows were fantastic, though it's hard to call a band "greatest stadium band" when a founding member once spat on an audience member (the famous Montreal incident) stemming from alienation developed from playing in Stadiums... lol

The Who (one of those earlier farewell tours) - GREAT

but, I guess the best stadium shows I've seen (multiple times) are The Grateful Dead!

http://liveforlivemusic.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/gd-50-josh-frances.jpg

Seeing a show at a stadium is not so much for the sound quality, a good deal for the visual spectacle, but perhaps most for the shared experience with 70+k fans? If so, the Dead win it!

• Like 4

Pink Floyd (Momentary Lapse and Division Bell) - these shows were fantastic, though it's hard to call a band "greatest stadium band" when a founding member once spat on an audience member (the famous Montreal incident) stemming from alienation developed from playing in Stadiums... lol

but, I guess the best stadium shows I've seen (multiple times) are The Grateful Dead!

Seeing a show at a stadium is not so much for the sound quality, a good deal for the visual spectacle, but perhaps most for the shared experience with 70+k fans? If so, the Dead win it!

The Grateful Dead are a big deal only for Americans. Nowhere outside the US they wouldn't have even the third of attendance on this pic.

• Like 1

All the bands mentioned in this thread qualify.

I really wish I'd seen Queen.

Floyd, Genesis, Yes and U2 are the bands from which I have the fondest memories, seeing them in arenas. the mid-80s to mid-90s were my primary concert-going years, so I saw a LOT of bands at places like the Forum, Sports Arena, then later at Staples, occasionally at Dodger Stadium etc... Mostly arenas though.

Edited by Mystic Slipperman

:goodone:
  • Like 1

The Grateful Dead are a big deal only for Americans. Nowhere outside the US they wouldn't have even the third of attendance on this pic.

And that is truly a shame. The Grateful Dead did undertake several European tours, in 1972, '74, '81 (during which time they didn't have a huge, huge following in the U.S., either), and '90 (when they did).

I saw them everywhere from northeast Ohio to Oakland, California, and I'll tell you, especially out west...I mean, you think you know devoted fans of a band, and say you have an experience with an audience of 50, 60, 70, 80 thousand people...I've never experienced anything else like it.

I wouldn't put the actual band, and the performance value, up there with some of the other who've been mentioned here. But in terms of the fans' experience of a show...it really is true.

"There is Nothing Else Like a Grateful Dead Concert."

• Like 3

Im in that pic. You see me??

Live Dead was always memorable for the experience (as Blue J pointed out). Musically they were much better in the theaters (way before my time), sheds, and indoor arenas as opposed to the stadiums.

• Like 2

And that is truly a shame. The Grateful Dead did undertake several European tours, in 1972, '74, '81 (during which time they didn't have a huge, huge following in the U.S., either), and '90 (when they did).

I saw them everywhere from northeast Ohio to Oakland, California, and I'll tell you, especially out west...I mean, you think you know devoted fans of a band, and say you have an experience with an audience of 50, 60, 70, 80 thousand people...I've never experienced anything else like it.

I wouldn't put the actual band, and the performance value, up there with some of the other who've been mentioned here. But in terms of the fans' experience of a show...it really is true.

Yep. Dead shows were good times indeed. I love watching rich stadium 4th of july 86 on youtube as it was my fave dead show i saw.

Whats interesting is the lack of new groups to make the transition to arenas

Muse is the only group i can think of to do so since Metallica.

• Like 2

Yep. Dead shows were good times indeed. I love watching rich stadium 4th of july 86 on youtube as it was my fave dead show i saw.

Taylor Swift, Adele, Garth Brooks are three I can think of. And Pearl Jam.

You might want to think about all the early 90s bands.

And I saw Muse open up for someone (maybe U2). They were awful.

Of the bands I've personally seen I would say The Who, ELP, The Police and Elton John were awesome stadium bands. I never saw Queen but I would definitely put them up there close to the top.

Edited by EagleMoon

Other than the ones mentioned, Pearl Jam (crazy good live), Soundgarden, Metallica, and GNR come instantly to mind.

Yeah but all those groups are from roughly the same time period as Metallica playing arenas. A long time ago.

I dont believe soundgarden was ever close to filling a stadium. Prove me wrong please.

Maybe pearl jam was the last band to fill syadiums until muse came along.

Edited by tangy