Anthem or Time Stand Still?

Texas King

Anthem or Time Stand Still?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Anthem or Time Stand Still?

WTF??? I mean, I get that a lot of people don't like Hold Your Fire, but....seriously???

You make an unpersuasive case :P

Hahaha, perhaps I don't! :D I was honestly shocked though because most people I've talked to who aren't crazy about HYF nevertheless really like TSS.

Edited by mattroland76
  • Like 2

WTF??? I mean, I get that a lot of people don't like Hold Your Fire, but....seriously???

Hahaha, perhaps I don't! :D I was honestly shocked though because most people I've talked to who aren't crazy about HYF nevertheless really like TSS.

I like TSS probably as much as anyone, but it`s pretty tough to dissuade this forum that anything from HYF could beat anything from the 70s :tsk:
  • Like 2

I like TSS probably as much as anyone, but it`s pretty tough to dissuade this forum that anything from HYF could beat anything from the 70s :tsk:

I'm beginning to learn that, lol. I have a feeling I'll be getting in trouble around here for quite a few of my Rush preferences! :lol:

I'm beginning to learn that, lol. I have a feeling I'll be getting in trouble around here for quite a few of my Rush preferences! :lol:

Yep, you`d better replace your avatar for one with Geddy in a kimono, and fast :geddy:
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

TSS easy. Better lyrics, better production, more nuanced music. The only thing Anthem has on TSS is that brilliant Geddy shriek.

TSS easy. Better lyrics, better production, more nuanced music. The only thing Anthem has on TSS is that brilliant Geddy shriek.

Yeahhhh I don't think so

So a POP song over HARD ROCK? :)

In the words of Jon Anderson: Yes!

Yeahhhh I don't think so

I think it's almost indisputable. The production on Hold Your Fire is far more developed and full in sound than on Fly By Night. Don't get me wrong, I love Terry Brown on the boards as much as the next guy, but it's not like he was a genius right from the get go. It took a few albums to give all the instruments that magic level of clarity he's known for, to space out the drums a bit so they don't sound like really dense pillows, even to hone that signature Lifeson guitar sound, which he had just about trademarked by CoS and definitely nailed by 2112. FBN sounds fine, probably better than, say, Look At Yourself by Uriah Heep (which I think also sounds fine, though big props to the super heavy bass for 1971). But look at what Zeppelin, Queen, Pink Floyd, and other already huge bands were doing in 1975. FBN is a bit meat and potatoes comparatively.

But if you prefer the production of FBN to HYF that's your prerogative. I can't tell you how to have your opinion.

I went with Time Stand Still.  For me, it's a song that resonates...and although Anthem is a great little rocker that is fundamental to the creation of the Rush, it is kind of like a museum piece to me now.  I would never listen to it as a stand alone song.  If I feel like some old school hard rock Rush, and am playing All The World's... I will listen to it, but I would never seek it out as a song.  TSS is a proper song in a way that Anthem isn't for me - even though it's cool in it's way.  I think a lot of it has to do with the lyrics - a big part of what I like about Rush.  Anthem is just this antiquated, Randian thing that, if it was a new song, I would not tolerate at all.  Like, if someone was playing me a song by a new band that they wanted me to check out and "begging hands and bleeding hearts will only cry out for more" jumped out at me, I'd move along.  I know some people don't care about lyrics that much, but I do, and I grimace whenever I hear Peart's early dabblings with objectivism.

This is like asking “Raincoat or bathing suit?”.  They are completely different for different moods and circumstances.  I love them both.  I was definitely more of a fan of Anthem in my youth, but I find myself more emotionally attached to Time Stand Still as I grow old.  

• Like 1

On 7/7/2021 at 10:40 AM, Entre_Perpetuo said:

I think it's almost indisputable. The production on Hold Your Fire is far more developed and full in sound than on Fly By Night. Don't get me wrong, I love Terry Brown on the boards as much as the next guy, but it's not like he was a genius right from the get go. It took a few albums to give all the instruments that magic level of clarity he's known for, to space out the drums a bit so they don't sound like really dense pillows, even to hone that signature Lifeson guitar sound, which he had just about trademarked by CoS and definitely nailed by 2112. FBN sounds fine, probably better than, say, Look At Yourself by Uriah Heep (which I think also sounds fine, though big props to the super heavy bass for 1971). But look at what Zeppelin, Queen, Pink Floyd, and other already huge bands were doing in 1975. FBN is a bit meat and potatoes comparatively.

But if you prefer the production of FBN to HYF that's your prerogative. I can't tell you how to have your opinion.

I know this is over a year old, but I’ll bite.  You seem to be defining production as sound clarity and definition.  Production can also be how a sound is produced.  Hold Your Fire is abysmally produced because of how weak and thin the sound is.  The songs are poorly produced for much the same reason.  This production largely works on Time Stand Still, which is meant for older folks and a contemplative mood, but it still could have been less adult contemporary, sounded better, and been emotionally evocative.  Anthem’s production works perfectly for the song, message, and emotion it is trying to evoke.    To compare the two is almost impossible for the reason I stated in my comment above, but I think it’s fair to say that Anthem’s production method could still work for Time Stand Still, but Time Stand Still’s production would have destroyed Anthem.  

I could make similar arguments for the lyrics and the idea that the music is more nuanced (assuming that is a good thing, which is questionable in the case of a song like Anthem), but these things need to be accomplished in service to the song itself.  

11 minutes ago, NoahLutz said:

I know this is over a year old, but I’ll bite.  You seem to be defining production as sound clarity and definition.  Production can also be how a sound is produced.  Hold Your Fire is abysmally produced because of how weak and thin the sound is.  The songs are poorly produced for much the same reason.  This production largely works on Time Stand Still, which is meant for older folks and a contemplative mood, but it still could have been less adult contemporary, sounded better, and been emotionally evocative.  Anthem’s production works perfectly for the song, message, and emotion it is trying to evoke.    To compare the two is almost impossible for the reason I stated in my comment above, but I think it’s fair to say that Anthem’s production method could still work for Time Stand Still, but Time Stand Still’s production would have destroyed Anthem.  

I could make similar arguments for the lyrics and the idea that the music is more nuanced (assuming that is a good thing, which is questionable in the case of a song like Anthem), but these things need to be accomplished in service to the song itself.  

No, when I say production I am talking about all aspects of it, not just clarity and separation. And simply put, I think HYF has better production than FBN, especially TSS. Everything is balanced perfectly to my ears, no thinness like would come later on Presto and RTB. Yeah their working with an 80s pop palette as opposed to a 70s rock palette in terms of the kinds of sounds they’re going for, but that’s not a mark against either. Honestly, the idea of TSS with FBN’s production does sound interesting, but I doubt it would work as well as that production that it has, with those lush synth pads and ethereal chorus vocals. It’s not a rocker of a tune, nor a simple acoustic ballad. It’s more nuanced than that. Similarly, Anthem would not work with HYF’s production. As you say, they lush 80s sounds would kill the vibe.

• Like 1

Anthem is a very, very good song.  That being said, in an example of how deep & strong Rush's song catalog is, its probably not a top 20 song for me.  It might make the top 25.  Maybe.  Again, thats a reflection on how many awesome songs Rush has.

Time Stand Still, on the other hand, is my 3rd favorite Rush song.  Only 2112 and Subdivisions are above it.

Time Stand Still gets my vote easily.