Anthem or Time Stand Still?

Texas King

Anthem or Time Stand Still?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Anthem or Time Stand Still?

OK I changed my mind

It is a nice track

Still say the video is crap though

RUSH made some horrible, horrible videos. But Time Stand Still is a song that immediately transports me to being with good friends, my RUSH mates, arms around each others' shoulders, singing along with the band and enjoying Neil's bittersweet reflection on aging.

"Children growing up, old friends growing older."

As for Anthem? I've long outgrown Ayn Rand.

Edited by goose
  • Like 4

OK I changed my mind

It is a nice track

Still say the video is crap though

I've long outgrown Ayn Rand.

http://soulation.org/jonalynblog/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/dont-go-there.jpg

http://williamthecoroner.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/istock_can-of-worms.jpg

• Like 1

Man this is crazy close! I thought it'd be more like 65% Anthem, 35% Time Stand Still. An interesting surprise.

Yup, I was thinking it would be 70 - 30.

Im wondering if Aimee Mann had any influence on the votes with some of the impressionable folks on here.

Looks like Anthem is getting stronger and closer to what I anticipated.

Currently 62% Anthem to TST's 38%

TSS for its lyrical sentiments, although Anthem is a pretty killer track...

Yeah...I've got Anthem going right now, and the opening riff is stellar, as is Alex's transition into the main section. Geddy really belts out the lyrics, of course, and the outro is one of RUSH's best. A killer track for sure.

But...as I said before (Zebra!!!!), plenty of other RUSH tracks offer a similar experience musically and lyrically. For me, Time Stand Still...errr... stands alone. So, to play along with the false dichotomy that is this poll (as are many others), I'll stick with a really good song from one of my least favorite RUSH albums. Don't think classic parody has been posted yet...

• Like 3

Strange pairing,but after a long consideration and reading six long pages i will go for Time Stand Still.I find Anthem a great rocker with some great guitar work but overall something does'nt quite gel like One Little Victory does'nt(imo).TSS is a great song lyrically but i can see how the heavy rockers would disown them because it is a pop song and ,horrors,female vocals.But hey Aimee Mann is a great talent in her own right and i blame Rush for me buying all solo and Til Tuesday cds.Not bad looking either.I'm gonna start a thread on the Zep website.Whole Lotta Love vs All Of My Love.
  • Like 2

I've resisted posting in this thread (or even reading it), because I just find the comparison so bizarre. But I can't decide between them. Off the top of my head, I'd say Anthem for the music, Time Stand Still for the lyric. But I love the music of Time Stand Still, too.

:huh:

So I'll choose not to decide. ;)

I love-love-love Time Stand Still but C'MON MAN seriously??? Anthem is one of the foundations that :rush: is built on. You don't answer Anthem, log out, remove TRF from your bookmarks, clear your browser history. Never claim you're a TrueRushFan™.

Ohhh there have been some naughty boys. I went back through a few pages and some of you need to be slapped across the face with my rubber banning fish.

Sort of off topic but who the frack green lit the TSS video pitch?

• Like 1

After a lot of listens then I agree that TSS is a great lyric and a good pop/rock song.

But I am afraid I still have to go with Anthem, the music is so so aggressive as is Geddy's vocal. It is almost like punk rock or the grunge of it's day but a lot more sophisticated.

It grabs you by the balls and makes you listen!!

Yes the lyrics are probably out of date now but common guys? It was 1974 after all

So I still go with Anthem

Steve

Ohhh there have been some naughty boys. I went back through a few pages and some of you need to be slapped across the face with my rubber banning fish.

John I reckon their are quite a few members of the UK Parliament who would pay you good money to be slapped with your "discipline" fish.

With their pants around their ankles of course

John I reckon their are quite a few members of the UK Parliament who would pay you good money to be slapped with your "discipline" fish.

That all sounds a little cheeky.

• Like 1

Well most of our Lords and masters in the UK came up through the public school system where you shared a dormitory with other boys and being buggered by Mr Jones the geography teacher was an accepted part of character building and training for the life ahead in the houses of parliament.

As long as they got married with an understanding wife then a few trips to Hampstead Heath to cruise and pick up a big black Rastafarian would be fine as long as they don't get found out. And of course they must be pillars of the self appointed guardians of public morals

John there was a lovely story about Winston Churchill if I may tell you this please?

You will laugh I promise

Rik Emmett and Brad Delp, mentioned in this thread, are two of my favorite rock vocalists. Soaring voices, such a tragedy we lost Brad way too soon.

I voted for TSS. It was the song that brought me back to Rush about six years ago. Raising four kids, I got away from the rock scene through the 1990's and 2000's, but then got into Zeppelin, then Rush. Going to the R40 show (my first, and sadly, most likely last show) set me over the edge and got me discovering songs I have grown to love from RUSH (first album) through Clockwork.

I think of Time Stand Still during the recent great moments in my life. My daughter's wedding and other special times spent with family and friends. The bittersweet conceptual nature of the lyrics are juxtaposed with one of my other favorites, The Garden (the hours tick away, the cells tick away..). Also bittersweet. Just brilliant writing by Neil and powerful vocals delivered by Geddy. The percussion and guitar work ain't bad either.

Thanks, guys, for both of those tracks and the hundreds of others I have grown to love and listen to on a daily basis.

• Like 2

Two great songs, albeit very different. Anthem is a balls to the wall hard rocker, while Time Stand Still is a melodic almost polite rock gem. I probably listen to TSS more because I listen to Hold Your Fire more than Fly by Night, but I'd have to think this one over. I like both that much.