Voodoo Child versions?

Texas King

Voodoo Child versions?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Voodoo Child versions?

• by Jimi Hendrix
    • by Stevie Ray Vaughan?

Jimi Hendrix occasionally used different names and spellings for some of his songs.

In his handwritten lyrics, he used "Voodoo Chile" for the longer song, while he used both "Voodoo Chile (Slight Return)" and "Voodoo Child (Slight Return)" for the following one recorded with the Experience.

• Like 3

Stevie Ray is so natural and incredible - he's a huge inspiration to me as a guitar player

But no one has the vibe and epic presence that Hendrix does - his songwriting and innovation are second to none, and Voodoo Chile is a part of that ..

SRV is an all time great, but put him in a room with Hendrix and it is still Hendrix's room

• Like 3

Stevie Ray is so natural and incredible - he's a huge inspiration to me as a guitar player

But no one has the vibe and epic presence that Hendrix does - his songwriting and innovation are second to none, and Voodoo Chile is a part of that ..

SRV is an all time great, but put him in a room with Hendrix and it is still Hendrix's room

Hendrix was just so far ahead of anything at the time. Such a talent

• Like 1

Hendrix was just so far ahead of anything at the time. Such a talent

Hendrix was way ahead of his time, showing all guitarists just what could be achieved from the instrument,

Sadly, he died way before he reached anything like his full potential.

Others picked up the torch, and eventually surpassed him, but you can't help wonder where he would have taken us.

• Like 2

Jimi Hendrix's own version of Voodoo Chile (Slight Return) is unsurpassable. It's one of the greatest moments in rock guitar and anyone who believes SRV's version is better really doesn't understand Jimi. He is to guitar what Coltrane was to Sax and Van Goth to was to art.

• Like 1

I liked SRV's version better.

Just like I prefer Hendrix's version of All Along the Watchtower.

It isn't a slight on the originator. It's a credit to the originator that great artists see your work as a vehicle to continue the greatness.

• Like 1

Jimi Hendrix's own version of Voodoo Chile (Slight Return) is unsurpassable. It's one of the greatest moments in rock guitar and anyone who believes SRV's version is better really doesn't understand Jimi. He is to guitar what Coltrane was to Sax and Van Goth to was to art.

Van Goth? Was that Van Gogh's eye-liner wearing brother?

It's a question of personal preference. There is no template for "The Best". "Understanding" Hendrix plays no role here.

It's a question of personal preference. There is no template for "The Best". "Understanding" Hendrix plays no role here.

Please.

:facepalm:

It's all about firsts. Stevie Ray Vaughan was a brilliant guitar player. He used tone, technique and emotion perfectly and carved out a place for himself. But, Stevie Ray Vaughan could not do what he did without Jimi Hendrix's innovation and originality. I can't say guitar playing was different after Stevie Ray Vaughan. I can say it was after Jimi Hendrix. Personal preference has nothing to do with it.