GnR summer stadium tour

custom55

I think Axl has really cleaned things up recently. His voice is better and he's less of a diva. And the reviews for previous shows have all been positive. But given his relationship with Slash, it is still very unpredictable. Who the hell knows what will happen?!?

OK I will admit it, I bought two for Toronto. :facepalm: I couldn't help myself. Nostalgia maybe. Watching a train wreck as it happens maybe. Bad financial decision maybe. Can't put my finger on it but I had to see this for some reason. I will appoint myself as an official TRF show reviewer. That's it! My duties as a journalist compel me to go.

Please do a show review here. I'd love to hear how they were.

When will you be going?

• Like 1

OK I will admit it, I bought two for Toronto. :facepalm: I couldn't help myself. Nostalgia maybe. Watching a train wreck as it happens maybe. Bad financial decision maybe. Can't put my finger on it but I had to see this for some reason. I will appoint myself as an official TRF show reviewer. That's it! My duties as a journalist compel me to go.

Exactly! I for one am interested in hearing how the show goes- from our official TRF show reviewer, Syrinx! :) As I said above, IMO, Axl used to really have a stage presence, Slash is a wicked good guitar player, and Duff plays a solid bass line with a good tone. I will be interested to hear if it all comes together in something good! :D

• Like 1

They suck ass live....like really suck.

Suckers will pay to see them. I never will.

• Like 1

My husband said he read they are really hurting for money. That's why they are doing this tour. Don't know if it's true or not.

Wow. If that's true then they're really bad with money. I know Slash said the major tour they did after the Use Your Illusion records didn't make any money because of all the excess musicians, production and union overtime costs because of the late starts. But he should've been set just from his Velvet Revolver days.

I think Axl has really cleaned things up recently. His voice is better and he's less of a diva. And the reviews for previous shows have all been positive. But given his relationship with Slash, it is still very unpredictable. Who the hell knows what will happen?!?

Yeah, Axl has changed his behavior a lot over the last ten years. He doesn't show up hours late for shows, throw tantrums on stage and walk off before the concert has ended. So far the band has played maybe ten shows and there have been no huge problems reported. If this tour will go off as planned with no issues then maybe everyone who makes jokes about Axl thinking he's still like he was 25 years ago will stop doing so. People do change and Axl is proving that.

My husband said he read they are really hurting for money. That's why they are doing this tour. Don't know if it's true or not.

I wonder where he read that?

No doubt this tour will be a huge financial success. But unless Axl, Slash and Duff were just awful with their money, there's no way they should be hurting for it.

After their break up in the mid 90s Axl continued GnR. Even though he only released one album, the band still regularly toured and were able to still draw pretty well live.

Slash has been consistently working since he left GnR. Including forming the supergroup Velvet Revolver which had a couple a very successful albums. His current work with singer Myles Kennedy has kept him busy over the last several years and he regularly fills venues that fit a few thousand people and even gets some of his songs played on the radio.

Duff might be the "poorest" of them all but between GnR and Velvet Revolver, I think he's made enough money to live comfortably.

Edited by J2112YYZ

Reading Slash's bio. Cured any lingering desire to try Heroin or work in any capacity with Axl Rose. Outstanding!

Are you reading the Anthony Bozza book?

Yes

I'm curious to read it, but not sure I want to.

It's not bad really. I've read worse. It's a good shitter read anyhow.

Reading Slash's bio. Cured any lingering desire to try Heroin or work in any capacity with Axl Rose. Outstanding!

Yes

I'm curious to read it, but not sure I want to.

It's not bad really. I've read worse. It's a good shitter read anyhow.

Is it worse than Hammer of the Gods?

You just picked out my next read. Thanks Lorraine.

You're welcome. :) I think. :unsure:

Edited by Lorraine

Ahhhh, they just added another show at Metlife Stadium. WOW, that's a lot of tickets.

Is it true the place now seats 60000? Surely they can't sell 60000 tickets?

The first show is just about sold out and yes, they added a second show. Not sure about the stage setup and field seating but 60,000 seats sounds about right.

• Like 1

Ahhhh, they just added another show at Metlife Stadium. WOW, that's a lot of tickets.

The first show is just about sold out and yes, they added a second show. Not sure about the stage setup and field seating but 60,000 seats sounds about right.

I find that hard to believe, but I guess they just have more mainstream fans than a band like Rush does.

I find that hard to believe, but I guess they just have more mainstream fans than a band like Rush does.

They most certainly do. Let's look at the US album sales from GnR's glory days:

Appetite For Destruction: 18 million

GnR Lies: 5 million

Use Your Illusion I: 7 million

Use Your Illusion II: 7 million

Even the cover album they released in 1993 went platinum.

Appetite alone might actually outsell Rush's total career album sales in the US. Man, GnR was so huge in the late 80s and early 90s. I've read that Appetite is one of those albums that still sells thousands of copies weekly like Dark Side Of The Moon and Led Zeppelin 4 does.