It's A BASS OFF Brothers And Sisters!!! If You Vote For Geddy Then You Are Just A Homer With No Spine But I Get It! BASS WARS! THE FORCE AWAKENS!

RUSHHEAD666

BASS ON BASS OFF!! Who Is The All Time Greatest Bass Player In Your Mind?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Let's Go Fishing For Some BASS! Pick The Greatest Bass Player In The World!! "DEAD OR ALIVE!" A Bon Jovi Song? UGH!

• The Ox
    • Jaco Pastorius
    • Geddy Lee
    • Les Claypool
    • Steve Harris
    • Victor Wooten
    • Anthony Jackson
    • Glenn Hughes
    • Lemmy Kilmister
    • John Wetton
    • Chris Squire
    • Roger Waters
    • Norwood Fisher
    • Stanley Clarke
    • Mike Rutherford
    • Pete Trewavas
    • Pete Way
    • Rudy Sarzo
    • Gene Simmons
    • Colin Edwin
    • Phil Lynott
    • Sting
    • Flea
    • Paul McCartney
    • Peter Baltes
    • Billy Sheehan
    • Tony Levin
    • Geezer Butler

If were going to take Larry Graham (and Norwood Fisher) then we should bring up Cordell Mosson and Bootsy Collins from P-Funk. What about Doug Wimbish, the mofo who laid down the bass for Chic and Living Color.

And then, may as well hit up the master, James Jamerson.

• Like 1

If were going to take Larry Graham (and Norwood Fisher) then we should bring up Cordell Mosson and Bootsy Collins from P-Funk. What about Doug Wimbish, the mofo who laid down the bass for Chic and Living Color.

Yep! Boots and Norwood are in that poll. I love Doug! How about the other Doug from KING'S X?

I love CHIC. I saw them open for Duran Duran.

RIP TONY THOMPSON!

• Like 1

Yep! Boots and Norwood are in that poll. I love Doug! How about the other Doug from KING'S X?

RIP TONY THOMPSON!

I know, remember my CHIC was at that show! ;)

Yes dUg Pinnick from King's X. Great player, even better vocalist.

WoW

• Like 1

RIP TONY THOMPSON!

I know, remember my CHIC was at that show! ;)

Yes dUg Pinnick from King's X. Great player, even better vocalist.

WoW

Hahaha! Yup!! I remember!! Whoops! DUG!! He's great!

Do you like Atari video games?

Love,

DIG DUG

LOL

Listen to the fast bass breakdown in Kid Gloves before the solo.

Sorry, it's Geddy. No one matches him. When you have a musical genius like John Myung credit him as one of his greatest influences, you know you're dealing with something not of this world.

• Like 1

Page 3 and still no mention of Mr Glover?? Edited by MMCXII

Never quite understand these polls, what is meant by the 'greatest'? The most technical, someone that is a monster at all styles, played the most memorable bass lines, has the best hair? Too many great players missing from that list to take it seriously! Marcus Miller, Bernard Edwards from Chic, Bryan Beller, Stuart Hamm, Mark King, Michael Manring, the list is endless!!
  • Like 2

Never quite understand these polls, what is meant by the 'greatest'? The most technical, someone that is a monster at all styles, played the most memorable bass lines, has the best hair? Too many great players missing from that list to take it seriously! Marcus Miller, Bernard Edwards from Chic, Bryan Beller, Stuart Hamm, Mark King, Michael Manring, the list is endless!!

Good call on Bryan Beller. Check out his work on the Mulmuzzler albums, with Mike Mangini on drums!

Good call on Bryan Beller. Check out his work on the Mulmuzzler albums, with Mike Mangini on drums!

Better yet...

• Like 1

I always remove the offending adjective and replace it with "favorite".

It's hard to take a pole like this seriously otherwise as you stated so well..

Earl, I just realized you didn't include A Nameless Ghoul on there. Maybe he's not of the same caliber as the others mentioned, but he's still pretty good.
  • Like 1

So many choices, but had to go with Stanley Clarke.

Other non-list faves:

Percy Jones (Brand X)

Phil Maggini (Shadowfax)

Edited by pjbear05

Big fan of Claypool & Jaco but had to go with Geddy cuz...well...its GEDDY!

Here's Geddy talking about how Jaco's "Teentown" set a new bar for electric bass playing.

http://www.rushisaband.com/blog/2016/01/03/4586/Geddy-Lee-on-Teen-Town-in-new-JACO-documentary-video-extra

https://www.facebook.com/JacoDocumentary/videos/866352330128967/

I always remove the offending adjective and replace it with "favorite".

It's hard to take a pole like this seriously otherwise as you stated so well..

I've got a pole that you should take seriously...

:LOL:

But in regards to this poll, for me "greatest" means the musician's musician. They guy that is sure to be on every top musician's list in terms of technical proficiency, artistry, and influence. That's why I went with Pastorius. When a guy passes away and Mile Davis writes a tribute piece for him, you know that player mattered.

• Like 1

I don't know enough to know who is nthe best technically.

This guy.

Thanks for putting up that clip-that is some amazing playing! It's also interesting to me because I saw Pastorius with Weather Report only about 3 months earlier than that; Fall 1977. I think I might have mentioned here (prob way too many times) that it was an enjoyable evening but I was pretty young and didn't really fully understand what I was seeing or hearing at the time. A lost opportunity in a way but hey, they were jammin' on Birdland! Sigh.

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 1