Vapor Trail's production was actually good

AnEggplant

I know, I know, but hear me out.

If that kind of production had been put to pretty much any other Rush album, I could see everyone's complaints. However, Vapor Trails is not like other Rush albums, and in my humble opinion that isn't a bad thing. Vapor Trails, production aside, has grungier, harder hitting songs with a more vicious and aggressive tone. Therefore I feel the harsh, rough production actually fit the songs perfectly. I just thought I'd say that. I'd like to know your thoughts. :)

It was clearly not intended. The band went so far as remixing it (which some of the tunes really needed and some sound better on the original release). It was a rough, demo like recording process to begin with. Takes were recorded too hot and of course mastered too hot as well giving a double whammy. Original takes were flawed (sonic wise) but they wanted to keep the original emotion and intensity of the jams Geddy and and Alex were having while Neil was still grappling with getting back into playing shape etc.

It was a polarizing release. I never had a huge issue with the original release to begin with. But some tunes were just painful to get through and gave me fatigue on my ears. And a lot of wonderful layers were just drowned out in clipping and poor mixing. It was a real struggle for Geddy during the mix down process. That was well documented.

But as far as overall sound quality? It is without a doubt to my ears the poorest sonic release in the studio catalog.

Edited by Todem
  • Like 2

it's a great album filled with passion and emotion

go jerk off to your saga and loverboy, earl, and leave vt alone!

One the most passionate records they have ever recorded. Regardless if you like the songs or don't, the emotion pouring out of the tunes and the lyrics are gut wrenching in many spots. It is not nearly a go to Rush album for me. It is one that I will pop in once a year for a listen...that's about it.

The title track though (along with Nocturne and Sweet Miracle to boot)......one of the great under appreciated Rush songs ever.

Edited by Todem

If that kind of production had been put to pretty much any other Rush album, I could see everyone's complaints. However, Vapor Trails is not like other Rush albums, and in my humble opinion that isn't a bad thing. Vapor Trails, production aside, has grungier, harder hitting songs with a more vicious and aggressive tone. Therefore I feel the harsh, rough production actually fit the songs perfectly. I just thought I'd say that. I'd like to know your thoughts. :)

It was clearly not intended. The band went so far as remixing it (which some of the tunes really needed and some sound better on the original release). It was a rough, demo like recording process to begin with. Takes were recorded too hot and of course mastered too hot as well giving a double whammy. Original takes were flawed (sonic wise) but they wanted to keep the original emotion and intensity of the jams Geddy and and Alex were having while Neil was still grappling with getting back into playing shape etc.

It was a polarizing release. I never had a huge issue with the original release to begin with. But some tunes were just painful to get through and gave me fatigue on my ears. And a lot of wonderful layers were just drowned out in clipping and poor mixing. It was a real struggle for Geddy during the mix down process. That was well documented.

But as far as overall sound quality? It is without a doubt to my ears the poorest sonic release in the studio catalog.

If you are lucky enough to find the official remaster (not the remix), it is definitely the best of all available versions.

I might forgive the production if the material didn't flat out suck.

i don't enjoy a single track.

How it is...........and how it ought to BEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!

Mick

I'm way in the minority on this one but I absolutely love Out Of The Cradle.

• Like 2

If you are lucky enough to find the official remaster (not the remix), it is definitely the best of all available versions.

I have it. It sounds good. And it is an unofficial remaster done by some Rush fans (MiTa's remaster).

Edited by Todem

No sorry. Even the remix couldn't help this crap by much. Made the stinking sonic pile less like a jackhammer and more like a wet fart.
  • Like 3

I have it. It sounds good. And it is an unofficial remaster done by some Rush fans (MiTa's remaster).

no that is not the one I'm referring to. I have that one also but it does not sound that great to me.

This was the official remaster by Andy VanDette that was only released digitally on HD tracks. Unfortunately its not available anymore.

From Andy Van Dette: These are the original mixes, but with a much different treatment. For what it is worth........A typical album takes me about 8 hours to master. I spent 4 days on VT, trying to find a way to emphasize the positive, and downplay the negative, with a "car test" every morning on my way in to the studio. I knew this album in particular would receive tremendous scrutiny. Being a musician, growing up on the other side of Niagara Falls from the band, Rush had a huge influence on me. I hope I have done their catalog justice.

• Like 3

Can we get something straight?

The digital recording of the album was in effect damaged. Geddy Lee himself said that he f***ed up - there were digital artefacts that were unremovable, a bit like scratches on an LP, that affected the sound at its very core. This is not up for debate, you might say you prefer the Venus De Milo without arms, or a fine china cup with its handle broken off because you have an emotional attachment to the object but you couldn't reasonably say they were better in their broken state as that would be ridiculous. This is the issue with Vapor Trails. It does not sound as it was intended to sound regardless of it being mastered "hot" or the emotional attachment that people attach to it.

I'm not a big fan of the album's content regardless of the sonic issues.

Edited by Tony R
  • Like 2

the official remix has its strong points but agreed, the original power of the album much better, tracks like earthshine on the remix pale in comparison (although the prominent acoustic adds another dimension)

if i wanna hear something like secret touch at its very best i'd defo go for the original, no doubt.

Edited by lifeson90

Can we get something straight?

The digital recording of the album was in effect damaged. Geddy Lee himself said that he f***ed up - there were digital artefacts that were unremovable, a bit like scratches on an LP, that affected the sound at its very core. This is not up for debate, you might say you prefer the Venus De Milo without arms, or a fine china cup with its handle broken off because you have an emotional attachment to the object but you couldn't reasonably say they were better in their broken state as that would be ridiculous. This is the issue with Vapor Trails. It does not sound as it was intended to sound regardless of it being mastered "hot" or the emotional attachment that people attach to it.

I'm not a big fan of the album's content regardless of the sonic issues.

I think it was a mistake that worked better for the music than the intended results ever could have.

• Like 2

Was this meant to be posted in the unpopular opinions thread??

I personally love VT and never have found the production to be an issue

But it is. It's broken.

It is an issue for you. For others, it isn't. Get over it.

• Like 3

Was this meant to be posted in the unpopular opinions thread??

I personally love VT and never have found the production to be an issue

But it is. It's broken.

It is an issue for you. For others, it isn't. Get over it.

The broken-ness is part of what makes it work.

Yes. The songs don't suit a polished production. Sorry, but they don't.

The broken-ness is part of what makes it work.

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/59791161.jpg

Hahaha good old meme's...

It only works if you like the material.

If you don't, I can only imagine how nasty the experience is!

• Like 1

I would rather listen to Test For Echo five million times in a row than anything off of "Vapor Trails."

Why no caps lock dude?

• Like 2

I know it wasn't intentional, but in my eyes it was a good accident. I truly feel the harsh production does enhance the music.

• Like 2