Vapor Trail's production was actually good

AnEggplant

Vapor Trails-great album.

One thing that struck me about the Loudness Wars is that most albums were destroyed at the mastering desk whilst Vapor Trails was ruined by the recording process.

And rushgoober was a childish troll/bully. But there are other pricks here still.

This forum idolizes bullies.

Well how now brown cow? I must be a prick too! Well I am right? I'm a self absorbed troll bully who LOVES TO SHOUT ON A PUBLIC FORUM! Oh I'm an asshole and a narcissist pig! OINK OINK!!!!! LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME!!!! I idolize myself so my feelings can never be hurt on here! I live to be a traumatic, dramatic TROLL FROM SATAN'S ARSEHOLE!! Hell my best friend is my mirror!!!

You are pandicorn

http://41.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lhc66axU0v1qf98m9o1_500.png

HAHAHAHA! WTF? A Pandicorn! You have a trifecta of posts today that have made me laugh. Congrats! You da man!

• Like 1

Love the album. I don't like the production, but it never hurt my ears or anything. It was just too flat and loud for me. The Remix helped it, and added much needed space, but I'd still want more space. Ditto for Clockwork Angels. Sometimes less is more.

I actually dislike the CA production more than VT.

• Like 1

Was this meant to be posted in the unpopular opinions thread??

I personally love VT and never have found the production to be an issue

But it is. It's broken.

It is an issue for you. For others, it isn't. Get over it.

That's just plain daft.

The album has been remixed because the band knew it was a car crash recording-wise, that is well documented. I remember reading Lee say it needed fixing.

You going to say "get over it" to the band you f***ing clown?

Lee came to this realization not long after the record came out, but there was little he could do to fix the situation. "It's a terrible feeling that, due to lack of objectivity, you let an imperfect piece of work get out there," he says.

Chris: Are you aware of there being a precedent for something like this, where a band and their fans express enough unhappiness with the sonics of a record to take the time and re-do it?

David: I think this is a pretty unique situation, but it does speak volumes as to how much the band care about their fans and want them to be satisfied. I also think that they themselves were not as happy with the final result as they could have been. These are great songs and I was just trying to help them realize them as they would have wanted at the time. Everyone has to remember that it was a very stressful time for the band and it’s really a tribute to their resilience that they were able to continue as a band at all.

One thing that struck me about the Loudness Wars is that most albums were destroyed at the mastering desk whilst Vapor Trails was ruined by the recording process.

And rushgoober was a childish troll/bully. But there are other pricks here still.

It's the prison mentality brought on by the close confines of the forum format.

• Like 1

Even Geddy Lee isn't really the boss of what anyone chooses to like. I'm glad they remixed the thing, too, but I still would have liked the album regardless. I get what some folks are saying about the original mix. It's just a matter of perspective; it's not "delusion."
  • Like 1

But it is. It's broken.

That's just plain daft.

The album has been remixed because the band knew it was a car crash recording-wise, that is well documented. I remember reading Lee say it needed fixing.

Lee came to this realization not long after the record came out, but there was little he could do to fix the situation. "It's a terrible feeling that, due to lack of objectivity, you let an imperfect piece of work get out there," he says.

Chris: Are you aware of there being a precedent for something like this, where a band and their fans express enough unhappiness with the sonics of a record to take the time and re-do it?

David: I think this is a pretty unique situation, but it does speak volumes as to how much the band care about their fans and want them to be satisfied. I also think that they themselves were not as happy with the final result as they could have been. These are great songs and I was just trying to help them realize them as they would have wanted at the time. Everyone has to remember that it was a very stressful time for the band and it’s really a tribute to their resilience that they were able to continue as a band at all.

I am allowed to like what I like. I don't need your approval or Geddy's.

• Like 2

Clipping is never a good thing on any recording. The original release had some major sonic issues. The remix is more "listenable" but the songs are still very weak. I can appreciate the significance of the lyrics and how Neil was expressing the great loss in his life, but that still doesn't make the musical ideas any better.
  • Like 1

But it is. It's broken.

That's just plain daft.

No, but to suggest I "get over it" is just silly. It isn't supposed to sound like that. You can like your mother's over cooked and burnt roast beef because that's all you are used to but if presented to someone else you can't just say "get over it".

One of the worst aspects of online "life" is that there's always some t**t courting popularity by defending the indefensible usually relating to some band, artist, sports star or celebrity and adding "get over it" because they know they are "safe".

You are entitled to like the album as is, but there is nothing noble in that.

But it is. It's broken.

That's just plain daft.

No, but to suggest I "get over it" is just silly. It isn't supposed to sound like that. You can like your mother's over cooked and burnt roast beef because that's all you are used to but if presented to someone else you can't just say "get over it".

One of the worst aspects of online "life" is that there's always some t**t courting popularity by defending the indefensible usually relating to some band, artist, sports star or celebrity and adding "get over it" because they know they are "safe".

I think what he meant to say was get over the fact that other people enjoy Vapor Trails. I'm not trying to put words in his mouth that's just what I got out of it. If so I must agree with him, no bad feelings intended.

• Like 1

But it is. It's broken.

That's just plain daft.

Never tried to be noble.

Never tried to be different.

Definitely made it obvious in recent weeks I don't aim to be popular.

• Like 1

But it is. It's broken.

That's just plain daft.

I think what he meant to say was get over the fact that other people enjoy Vapor Trails. I'm not trying to put words in his mouth that's just what I got out of it. If so I must agree with him, no bad feelings intended.

Was about to say this but gave up.

• Like 2

But it is. It's broken.

That's just plain daft.

I think I will too. From what I've seen talking to certain forum members usually just ends up in arguments that lead nowhere.

Edited by AnEggplant
  • Like 2

But it is. It's broken.

That's just plain daft.

I think I will too. From what I've seen talking to certain forum members usually just ends up in arguments that lead nowhere.

Yup. Sad but true.

Still...plenty of nice guys to chat too!

• Like 2

But it is. It's broken.

That's just plain daft.

That's not true!

Let's debate that point, now.

• Like 1

Wow Moon! That's deep!

• Like 2

Wow Moon! That's deep!

She has a point...

• Like 1

Wow Moon! That's deep!

She has a point...

I totally agree.

• Like 1

But it is. It's broken.

That's just plain daft.

Can I just say that I've never heard the remix and, to be honest I don't particularly want to.

Even if Geddy Lee said that it was a bad album that doesn't mean everybody has to think it's a bad album (in production terms). I really like live recordings. They don't sound particularly great but they're still one of my favourite things to listen to/watch from a band.

But it is. It's broken.

That's just plain daft.

Never tried to be noble.

Never tried to be different.

Definitely made it obvious in recent weeks I don't aim to be popular.

Yeah, ok.

Look up 'disingenuous' in the dictionary.

If it's pictorial you'll see a picture a ladyboy next to the definition.

• Like 1

But it is. It's broken.

That's just plain daft.

Can I just say that I've never heard the remix and, to be honest I don't particularly want to.

Even if Geddy Lee said that it was a bad album that doesn't mean everybody has to think it's a bad album (in production terms). I really like live recordings. They don't sound particularly great but they're still one of my favourite things to listen to/watch from a band.

But it's not what the band intended. It was an error.

• Like 1