Vapor Trail's production was actually good

AnEggplant

I love VT but have a hard time seeing the production as anything but regrettable. Also don't care so much for the remixed version, as it kind of went too far in gutting the punch of the original mix (or master? I don't know the difference). We need a second remix, retaining most of the punch of the original with the clarity of the remix. The material deserves it (as I'm in the love it camp).
  • Like 2

I love VT but have a hard time seeing the production as anything but regrettable. Also don't care so much for the remixed version, as it kind of went too far in gutting the punch of the original mix (or master? I don't know the difference). We need a second remix, retaining most of the punch of the original with the clarity of the remix. The material deserves it (as I'm in the love it camp).

See, this balance would be awesome! I love the original VT, hate the remix...incould settle for a middle ground.

See, this balance would be awesome! I love the original VT, hate the remix...incould settle for a middle ground.

Since you love the original why would you "settle for a middle ground"? You already love the original. The end. Right?

I love bacon & I hate eggs but I'd settle for mixing the two in a bowl. What? Huh? I think i should just eat the bacon and not settle on anything else...other than settling on the thing I already love.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze

I might forgive the production if the material didn't flat out suck.

i don't enjoy a single track.

How it is...........and how it ought to BEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!

Mick

I'm way in the minority on this one but I absolutely love Out Of The Cradle.

Me too.

Vapor Trails-great album.

One thing that struck me about the Loudness Wars is that most albums were destroyed at the mastering desk whilst Vapor Trails was ruined by the recording process.

And rushgoober was a childish troll/bully. But there are other pricks here still.

This forum idolizes bullies.

"Idolizes"? That's one hell of an interpretation...er, exaggeration.

Goobs isn't here to defend himself. I understand the "childish" critique but "troll/bully" I don't. Ah well, that's another interpretation.

Goobs is a sensitive soul and to suggest he was a bully is ridiculous at best and probably libellous at worst.

Yeah, I agree. I said in this thread yesterday that I thought he could be a bit too sensitive at times but "bully" is a tag I'd never associate with him.

Goobs was guilty of shameless self-promotion and attention-seeking at times, and he caught flak for that, but no, not a bully. Underneath it all he was a good guy. We have a few people on this board right now whose penchant for drama and attention-seeking are worse than anything we saw from Goobs.

• Like 7

One thing that struck me about the Loudness Wars is that most albums were destroyed at the mastering desk whilst Vapor Trails was ruined by the recording process.

And rushgoober was a childish troll/bully. But there are other pricks here still.

Goobs isn't here to defend himself. I understand the "childish" critique but "troll/bully" I don't. Ah well, that's another interpretation.

Goobs is a sensitive soul and to suggest he was a bully is ridiculous at best and probably libellous at worst.

Yeah, I agree. I said in this thread yesterday that I thought he could be a bit too sensitive at times but "bully" is a tag I'd never associate with him.

Goobs was guilty of shameless self-promotion and attention-seeking at times, and he caught flak for that, but no, not a bully. Underneath it all he was a good guy. We have a few people on this board right now whose penchant for drama and attention-seeking are worse than anything we saw from Goobs.

How could you say something like that? Drama?? Here???

• Like 3

Couldn't agree more on all those parts.

Because it was broken. You wouldn't accept a picture with a hole in it from Amazon, why accept a faulty CD and then praise its merits.

Weird analogy. I suppose I must have defective when I was able to listen to the album and enjoy it in spite of the digital clipping (which I only noticed in a few places). No different from listening to and enjoying all of those scratched LP records I had when I was a kid. You lived with the scratches because you dug the music.

If you bought it new and it was scratched you would return it.

Eggplant, forgive me if I'm misinterpreting, but are you not simply making a subjective claim that the raw energy of Vapor Trails might in fact, to some folks anyway, be reinforced in some way by the rough sound of the overall mix? That, in effect, for folks like you, that can actually be a "good" thing, even if it's completely subjective opinion and contradicts the majority opinion by the audiophile experts that it's a crappy mix? Something like that? Anyway, I'm cool with that.

Yeah, I got that straight away. I'm bored and just wanted to be a dick about it.

Carry on. :)

Tony, next year for your birthday we will double up on your congratulatory threads. :) Instead of six, we will create twelve!

Because it was broken. You wouldn't accept a picture with a hole in it from Amazon, why accept a faulty CD and then praise its merits.

Weird analogy. I suppose I must have defective when I was able to listen to the album and enjoy it in spite of the digital clipping (which I only noticed in a few places). No different from listening to and enjoying all of those scratched LP records I had when I was a kid. You lived with the scratches because you dug the music.

Eggplant, forgive me if I'm misinterpreting, but are you not simply making a subjective claim that the raw energy of Vapor Trails might in fact, to some folks anyway, be reinforced in some way by the rough sound of the overall mix? That, in effect, for folks like you, that can actually be a "good" thing, even if it's completely subjective opinion and contradicts the majority opinion by the audiophile experts that it's a crappy mix? Something like that? Anyway, I'm cool with that.

Yeah, I got that straight away. I'm bored and just wanted to be a dick about it.

Wait, What??

I don't believe in nothin no more

• Like 1

Personally I think this has already been achieved, just not with anything that was done through the record company. Anytime I get into this discussion about the awful sound of the original, and my distain for the remixes (because they suck), I always trumpet my love for the what actually worked. When I first joined here in 2007, there was a member here called 'musicintheabstract' who remastered the original on his own using an at-home music editing program. It took hundreds of hours, adjusting the tones and manually altering every individual clipped sound wave (there had to be thousands of them) to dramatically reduce all that thundering mid-range white noise what made it painful to your ears and drowned out so much of the actual music. What he did was astounding! It didn't change the 'sound' or 'feel' of the original recording that we all became so used to as 'what the song was supposed to sound like'. It just made it so much more listenable.

If you already accept the original as great music, the MITA remaster is as close to what you dream about hearing as it gets. If the freakin' band would stop trying to have the original remixed and just remaster it in the same way MITA did, imagine what could be achieved from a professional studio when MITA did such a great job from his laptop!

• Like 3

As much as Tony R would like to change our opinions, we still like what we like, so game over.

I'm not trying to change opinions just highlight how many Rush fans are complete morons whilst somehow believing that their love of Rush somehow suggests they have a higher intellect than the average. It's very noble eking enjoyment out of a broken product but it's ultimately pointless.

wait, i thought you said it wasn't noble?

You really shouldn't be paying that much attention.

• Like 1

Tony, next year for your birthday we will double up on your congratulatory threads. :) Instead of six, we will create twelve!

One for each year of my mental age. Cool.

• Like 1

One for each year of my mental age. Cool.

At least you can laugh at yourself, Tony. :LOL:

Since you love the original why would you "settle for a middle ground"? You already love the original. The end. Right?

I love bacon & I hate eggs but I'd settle for mixing the two in a bowl. What? Huh? I think i should just eat the bacon and not settle on anything else...other than settling on the thing I already love.

I love the original a lot, just as it is, because the only alternative is the remix, and I hate it. I have said time and time again VT has its flaws, but I find they enhance the vibe of the music. If the raw, acidic and burnt production could be balanced with better balance between all the different instruments and vocals, I would love it even more!

But I hate the remix. It went too far in the wrong direction, and robbed the album of its stripped bare drama. Especially hate Freeze and Out Of The Cradle.

• Like 1

I know, I know, but hear me out.

If that kind of production had been put to pretty much any other Rush album, I could see everyone's complaints. However, Vapor Trails is not like other Rush albums, and in my humble opinion that isn't a bad thing. Vapor Trails, production aside, has grungier, harder hitting songs with a more vicious and aggressive tone. Therefore I feel the harsh, rough production actually fit the songs perfectly. I just thought I'd say that. I'd like to know your thoughts. :)

Nice post! I've always said that you need to sort of appreciate what the band was going through at the time to really get the manic noise that is VT.

If I want a nice clean feel-good song then I'll go listen to Boston or something.

VT is a very good picture of where Neil/Rush were at the time and contains some awesome tunes!

• Like 3

On a more pleasant note, I'm wondering when the Eggplant and the Ladbyboy are getting hitched. Keep us informed.

Meanwhile I'm thinking it's time to take out the trash.

Well before we get hitched, I'd like to know who this 'Ladbyboy' is first.

On a more pleasant note, I'm wondering when the Eggplant and the Ladbyboy are getting hitched. Keep us informed.

Meanwhile I'm thinking it's time to take out the trash.

Well before we get hitched, I'd like to know who this 'Ladbyboy' is first.

Hail victory!

I never pumped a radio show on here but yeah I know I'm guilty of being an attention seeking self absorbed narcissist. Well sort of. Probably a reason why my marriage ended. Taking her around the country to see Rush for 20 years. It was all about ME ME ME! She never say "No Earl I don't want to go to Rush anymore!"

Anyway, I'm single and free! If I am one of those people you are referring to then I will gladly bow out.

No worries!

This place has been great therapy for me over the last three years of Hell.

Cheers!

I never pumped a radio show on here but yeah I know I'm guilty of being an attention seeking self absorbed narcissist. Well sort of. Probably a reason why my marriage ended. Taking her around the country to see Rush for 20 years. It was all about ME ME ME! She never say "No Earl I don't want to go to Rush anymore!"

Anyway, I'm single and free! If I am one of those people you are referring to then I will gladly bow out.

No worries!

Cheers!

Earl, he ain't talkin bout you.

No worries!

Cheers!

:dweez: :haz: :haz: :haz: :dweez:

• Like 1

No worries!

Cheers!

Earl, he ain't talkin bout you.

Well my friend, I prefer "Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love!" :)

I just assumed I was one of those "few" people. I've been terrorizing this forum for many many years! It's been fun! Never meant to hurt anyone.

• Like 2