Vapor Trail's production was actually good

AnEggplant

Vapor Trails-great album.

One thing that struck me about the Loudness Wars is that most albums were destroyed at the mastering desk whilst Vapor Trails was ruined by the recording process.

And rushgoober was a childish troll/bully. But there are other pricks here still.

• Like 1

Great album. Good, energetic, emotional tunes. Original mix, re-mix, whatever. Doesn't matter.

Dig what you dig. Also doesn't matter.

Tru dat fam!

One thing that struck me about the Loudness Wars is that most albums were destroyed at the mastering desk whilst Vapor Trails was ruined by the recording process.

And rushgoober was a childish troll/bully. But there are other pricks here still.

This forum idolizes bullies.

• Like 3

Number of times I've gotten a headache listening to a rock record: 0

Sorry to hear about all of your headaches and tired ears. Have a little lie-down and listen to Panacea. :) :heart:

Edited by toymaker
  • Like 2

Can we get something straight?

The digital recording of the album was in effect damaged. Geddy Lee himself said that he f***ed up - there were digital artefacts that were unremovable, a bit like scratches on an LP, that affected the sound at its very core. This is not up for debate, you might say you prefer the Venus De Milo without arms, or a fine china cup with its handle broken off because you have an emotional attachment to the object but you couldn't reasonably say they were better in their broken state as that would be ridiculous. This is the issue with Vapor Trails. It does not sound as it was intended to sound regardless of it being mastered "hot" or the emotional attachment that people attach to it.

I'm not a big fan of the album's content regardless of the sonic issues.

You're right, it's not up for debate. From a Botrill interview about the remixing:

There has been talk among fans that the original recordings were distorted and new material was recorded for the remix, but nothing like that was done, he says. “The source recordings are top quality and we didn’t add anything new from those early recordings.”

As for the distortion, “at the time this project was done, there were well known ‘volume wars’ going on and this project suffered from that recording and mixing philosophy,” he says. “Mercifully, I think we are beyond that now.”

The digital recording of the album was in effect damaged. Geddy Lee himself said that he f***ed up - there were digital artefacts that were unremovable, a bit like scratches on an LP, that affected the sound at its very core. This is not up for debate, you might say you prefer the Venus De Milo without arms, or a fine china cup with its handle broken off because you have an emotional attachment to the object but you couldn't reasonably say they were better in their broken state as that would be ridiculous. This is the issue with Vapor Trails. It does not sound as it was intended to sound regardless of it being mastered "hot" or the emotional attachment that people attach to it.

You're right, it's not up for debate. From a Botrill interview about the remixing:

There has been talk among fans that the original recordings were distorted and new material was recorded for the remix, but nothing like that was done, he says. “The source recordings are top quality and we didn’t add anything new from those early recordings.”

As for the distortion, “at the time this project was done, there were well known ‘volume wars’ going on and this project suffered from that recording and mixing philosophy,” he says. “Mercifully, I think we are beyond that now.”

and that is obvious with the remix. It sounds nice and clean. unfortunately i just don't love the overall mix of the remix. He took too many liberties with it.

and that is obvious with the remix. It sounds nice and clean. unfortunately i just don't love the overall mix of the remix. He took too many liberties with it.

Yup, nice and clean. The band was never happy with how the CD sounded, particularly Geddy from what I recall from interviews. 11 years later, they finally hired Botrill (who they originally considered hiring to produce VT) to fix it. I agree that he took one too many liberties with it, but Rush gave him a long leash and the end product sounds so good that I don't mind too much. For me, it's more about the listenability than the liberties. You can crank the remix and enjoy it. Crank the original and I'm reaching for the Excedrin after a few tracks.

I could believe it was an "artistic decision"... if it hadn't happened at the same time that EVERYTHING was using that shitty style of mixing.

Vapor Trails is still my favorite Rush album though, warts and all.

I don't think it was intentional either, but I still think it works quite well.

• Like 1

I could believe it was an "artistic decision"... if it hadn't happened at the same time that EVERYTHING was using that shitty style of mixing.

If you don't have ears. LOL The remix is way better than the original. I love volume, distortion, and heaviness, but I don't like my speakers cracking and popping and player melting down because everything is red-lining into one big wall of mess. No separation to be found. Ugh! I also don't think Bottrill took too many liberties. I love the little things he brought out that wasn't there before.

• Like 2

Well how now brown cow? I must be a prick too! Well I am right? I'm a self absorbed troll bully who LOVES TO SHOUT ON A PUBLIC FORUM! Oh I'm an asshole and a narcissist pig! OINK OINK!!!!! LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME!!!! I idolize myself so my feelings can never be hurt on here! I live to be a traumatic, dramatic TROLL FROM SATAN'S ARSEHOLE!! Hell my best friend is my mirror!!!

• Like 1

Every band makes at least one stinker when the have a vast catalog of fantastic music. You guys who pump "Vapor Trails in your earholes like it's the Holy Grail can have it! It's your right and your choice. Don't give me shit for thinking it's well, SHIT. I bet some of you think "VT" is better than "Hemispheres." Perhaps it's a generation thing. I have no clue. Doesn't really matter. Enjoy "Vapor Trails" boys and girls! "The way out is the way in" children.

If you don't have ears. LOL The remix is way better than the original. I love volume, distortion, and heaviness, but I don't like my speakers cracking and popping and player melting down because everything is red-lining into one big wall of mess. No separation to be found. Ugh! I also don't think Bottrill took too many liberties. I love the little things he brought out that wasn't there before.

I'm not a fan of the remix personally, it takes away the raw aggression that fit the music so well.

That last sentence is a STEEL PANTHER reference. I know none of you RUSH PROG SNOBS will get it!

Do you need medication or am I missing out on some inside joke?

Hahahaha! If I had a dime for every time someone said that I needed meds for the way I post I would be a MILLIONAIRE! LOL! I love fuckingg with you guys! The mirror sentence is a reference to Lexxi Foxx! He is the bass player in Steel Panther and holds a mirror all the time in between songs! Another brilliant band that most people on here would HATE! GHOST and STEEL PANTER!!! They should tour together!

That last sentence is a STEEL PANTHER reference. I know none of you RUSH PROG SNOBS will get it!

Hahahaha! If I had a dime for every time someone said that I needed meds for the way I post I would be a MILLIONAIRE! LOL! I love fuckingg with you guys! The mirror sentence is a reference to Lexxi Foxx! He is the bass player in Steel Panther and holds a mirror all the time in between songs! Another brilliant band that most people on here would HATE! GHOST and STEEL PANTER!!! They should tour together!

AAAH OKAY I wasn't sure BECAUSE the mix of CAPS AND STUFF looked FUNNY!!!!!! :P

• Like 1

AAAH OKAY I wasn't sure BECAUSE the mix of CAPS AND STUFF looked FUNNY!!!!!! :P

HAHAHA! Glad you get it. Just trying to keep everyone on their toes! I just like having my own STYLE. I love messing around with everyone. My "peeps" get me! I am actually not a drugged up asshole who takes meth. I am educated and I run a company with my father. I have a great life and I am doing very well despite going through a divorce and having to give my ex a ton of alimony. The bread winners get destroyed while the ones who don't work get a free fukking ride. It doesn't matter if you are a man or a woman. It's not a gender thing. Whoever brings home all of the bacon gets fukking burned! This is not a sob story. I am not looking for sympathy. It's reality. BE CAREFUL! I will NEVER marry again. Ok now no more serious stuff! RUSH SUCKS!

• Like 2

There are also things from the original mix that have now disappeared. And Out Of The Cradle sounds completely nuetered. Freeze is an improvement however.

So it's a mixed bag for me I guess.

Edited by Rushman14

Love the album. I don't like the production, but it never hurt my ears or anything. It was just too flat and loud for me. The Remix helped it, and added much needed space, but I'd still want more space. Ditto for Clockwork Angels. Sometimes less is more.

There are also things from the original mix that have now disappeared. And Out Of The Cradle sounds completely nuetered. Freeze is an improvement however.

So it's a mixed bag for me I guess.

"Freeze?" When I try to listen to this album it puts me in a deep fukking freeze! I feel like Han Solo in that Carbonite Chamber! MAY THE FARCE BE WITH YOU RUSH FANS!

Edited by RUSHHEAD666

Well how now brown cow? I must be a prick too! Well I am right? I'm a self absorbed troll bully who LOVES TO SHOUT ON A PUBLIC FORUM! Oh I'm an asshole and a narcissist pig! OINK OINK!!!!! LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME!!!! I idolize myself so my feelings can never be hurt on here! I live to be a traumatic, dramatic TROLL FROM SATAN'S ARSEHOLE!! Hell my best friend is my mirror!!!

You are pandicorn

http://41.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lhc66axU0v1qf98m9o1_500.png