Pinkpop 1979

Lucas

The bits from the 1979 Pinkpop Festival are some of my favorite - Geddy's vocals were incredible for that show ...

The setlist and recording from the show have Passage To Bangkok as the first song, which we know was not the case - the Hemispheres tour opened with Anthem, followed by Bangkok ... and even though it was a festival with other bands, I'm sure Rush didn't shorten their setlist by opening with Bangkok ...

Is there any info that would lead us believe that the entire show was recorded, at least the audio ? ...... The video seems to be from a TV news channel, and doesn't guarantee a full performance, but I would think the audio would be there for the entire show ...

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 2

The bits from the 1979 Pinkpop Festival are some of my favorite - Geddy's vocals were incredible for that show ...

The setlist and recording from the show have Passage To Bangkok as the first song, which we know was not the case - the Hemispheres tour opened with Anthem, followed by Bangkok ... and even though it was a festival with other bands, I'm sure Rush didn't shorten their setlist by opening with Bangkok ...

Is there any info that would lead us believe that the entire show was recorded, at least the audio ? ...... The video seems to be from a TV news channel, and doesn't guarantee a full performance, but I would think the audio would be there for the entire show ...

According to 2112.net slash power windows...it was a shortened ten song setlist.

According to setlist.fm-

Jun

Artist

Rush Artist statistics Add setlist

Venue

Burgemeester Damen Sportpark, Geleen, Netherlands

Tour

Hemispheres Tour Tour statistics Add setlist

A Passage to Bangkok

Xanadu

The Trees

Closer to the Heart

La Villa Strangiato

2112 Part III: Discovery

2112 Part IV: Presentation

2112 Part VI: Soliloquy

2112 Part VII: Grand Finale

Encore:

In the Mood

Drum Solo

Something for Nothing

-------

Clark Gillies #9 would be proud three times over. Next it's ten Clarke's and Finn's turns.

Festivals rarely permit full sets, even for the headliners due to time constraints. My guess is that was all they played.

The bootleg on youtube begins with Geddy saying "thank you" and then announcing Passage To Bangkok - I just don't think that's the way they would begin their set .... Other bootlegs from the Hemispheres tour have them opening with Anthem, and then Geddy doing a similar rap to introduce Bangkok ...

I am hoping that they have this entire show, and will release as a bonus

We need to find someone who was at this show who remembers the set :D

According to 2112.net slash power windows...it was a shortened ten song setlist.

According to setlist.fm-

Jun

Artist

Venue

Tour

A Passage to Bangkok

Xanadu

The Trees

Closer to the Heart

La Villa Strangiato

Encore:

In the Mood

Drum Solo

Something for Nothing

-------

Clark Gillies #9 would be proud three times over. Next it's ten Clarke's and Finn's turns.

This is just what appears on the many bootlegs of this show.....NOT the entire set list.

• Like 1

I remember hearing that too Tony. I was working in Belgium at the time and was raging i could not make the gig.

I think the whole concert was certainly filmed. The La villa Strangiato performance, also featured on a compilation of Pinkpop performances

that appeared on DVD a few years back. only ever seen a Dutch release unfortunately.

• Like 1

According to setlist.fm-

Jun

Artist

Venue

Tour

A Passage to Bangkok

Xanadu

The Trees

Closer to the Heart

La Villa Strangiato

Encore:

In the Mood

Drum Solo

Something for Nothing

-------

This is just what appears on the many bootlegs of this show.....NOT the entire set list.

Yeah Passage to Bangkok wouldn't open a show unless they were in Bangkok! I'd be willing to bet Bastille Day opened the show since that was a popular opening tune in those daze. I wouldn't discount an abbreviated set list since it was a festival, but also wouldn't think that was all they did....

• Like 1

The bootleg on youtube begins with Geddy saying "thank you" and then announcing Passage To Bangkok - I just don't think that's the way they would begin their set

You may be right -- it would be atypical for them to start a set that way. In all the recordings from that era I've heard, they launch straight into a song after being introduced...the bantering comes later.

• Like 1

I've always wondered how the other bands on the bill liked them. I believe the Police and Elvis Costello were there..

Full line up: Rush

Elvis Costello

Average White Band

The Police

Dire Straits

Peter Tosh

Massada.

They opened with Anthem on that tour, and Bastille Day was part of the medley by that point. Also, I severely doubt that they didn't play Overture and Temples as part of 2112, and from the clips I've seen it seems like they were on a station break while they were being played (they come back right as Presentation's playing already).

The way that A Passage to Bangkok segues into Xanadu suggests to me they dropped By-tor from the set (on that tour it usually segued into Xanadu, as it did from AFTK to PW tours). Even though Something For Nothing is the last song on the bootleg I really think it's been moved from its usual place in the setlist on that tour after Xanadu and before The Trees. If you listen to the boot they end on the drum solo and Geddy says goodnight and everyone's cheering, but when Something For Nothing starts the crowd is really chill, and hardly the pumped up excitement of an encore.

#obsessiverushnerdgirl

Oh, and I found a picture of that pole in front of Neil. :)

http://www.pinkpop.org/pics/1979_5.jpg

Edited by gudbuytjane
  • Like 2

A lot of the time a boot collector will send you copies of their boots by trading black cds. Two for one, if you want 10 shows and it's 20 cd's, you send them 40 blank cd's, they make the copies you want and then they send you the boots.

http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/rush/images/concerts/rush-pink-pop-festival-holland-06.04.1979/15.jpg

http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/rush/images/concerts/rush-pink-pop-festival-holland-06.04.1979/12.jpg

http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/rush/images/concerts/rush-pink-pop-festival-holland-06.04.1979/04.jpg