In memory of my Father-in-law

Jack Aubrey

My Father-in-law, my Second Dad as I used to call him, passed away last Saturday. I actually had the honor to be the last family member to speak with him as he called me that morning remarking on how beautiful the weather was (it was his favorite kind of day, sunny but not too hot) and how he was gonna go down to the bait shop, get some "red wigglers" and hit the ol' fishin' hole. However, the Lord had other plans for him. He felt chest pains and called the EMTs but by the time they got there it was too late. We had anice memorial for him last Monday, and he has been cremated and his ahses will be scattered over Sicily Drop Zone at Fort Bragg in accordance with his wishes. I'm not much for words myself, but my dear friend Bill Herrmann, who is gifted with a beautiful writing ability, wonderfully eulogized Henry and I wanted to share it with all of you. The Dave and Quyn referenced are my wife and I.

For Quy,Shaunta,and Jade.....Gabby,  the Family ...and for Dave.

Some of You have never heard of or met my friend and brother-in-Christ named Henry Damon Tillman who died on Saturday 14 April 2012 in rural Baxley, Georgia. The Family had a Memorial Service for Henry on Tuesday 17 April 2012 at the Church he attended. I would' ve given anything to have attended and paid my respects and been there to support the Family. Yet it was not to be the Lord's will. So after Prayer and careful reflection and consideration I would like to offer this Eulogy for Henry to share with everyone my thoughts and comments on the outstanding life of one remarkable American hero who I had the honor and privilege to call my Friend. 

Websters  New World Dictionary defines a Eulogy as Praise...fine words...a blessing given in honor and memory of a person who has recently died.  In this instance it was Henry who was the blessing to many others. He certainly was a blessing to me. Always at heart a country boy, he grew up knowing what it was to work for a living, provide for his Family,and be loyal to his Friends. You could always count on Henry. His word was his bond. Integrity & character were part and parcel of the man. He Loved his Family and adored his children. In a day & age when such a focus on Family and personal virtues are a lost and dying reality, Henry Damon Tillman personified his convictions and his devotion and dedication to Family. Was he a perfect individual and role model ?  Henry himself would tilt his head and chuckle to hear such assertions. He knew the man in the mirror  and he always sought to better himself. In Henry's case there was never any question as to his priorities when it came to his Family. He always looked out for his Family and his daughters. He sought to teach them not to make the same mistakes in life that he had made. He sought to instill in them a sense of personal honor and personal worth and personal integrity and the meaning of character and backbone in facing the adversities life would throw in their path. He knew the importance of personal resolve and tenacity to live above and beyond their circumstances. All he taught he had learned in his own life experience.  He didn't teach them to come running to Daddy to bail them out. He taught them instead to face whatever came and confront it and deal with it on their own terms and head-on with absolute determination. He taught them that they could come to him for strength and counsel and most of all wisdom to handle even the most overwhelming situations. He showed them that his Love was absolutely unconditional and absolutely available to them day or night.

Henry was also a American patriot. In fact his patriotism was exemplified not by mere words and speeches, but by his willingness to serve and protect America and American Freedom and Liberty as a member of the US Armed Forces. In fact, most except close Family and Friends do not know that Henry first enlisted in the US Marine Corps and went through the crucible of Marine Corps Basic Training and Marine Corps duty as a Rifleman. After his term in the US Marines was up Henry enlisted in the US ARMY and went through Basic Training, Advanced Infantry Training, Airborne Paratrooper Training and then he had the tenacity to join the US ARMY Special Forces -Green Berets where he saw combat in Vietnam.

He served with distinction, honor,and sacrifice,and had the incredible experience of being in one of the only Special Forces Firebases in Vietnam that found itself under attack and overrun by Communist NVA Units and Vietcong. Close quarter combat and hand-to-hand combat ensued to repell the invading Communist forces. The attack was repulsed and it left a lasting impression and deep appreciation for life on Henry. His actions and the actions of his fellow Green Berets on repulsing the attack saved many lives and yet when I once commented to Henry that he was a "real American hero" he got real quiet and said to me in reply;" No,I was just doing my job.The Heroes were those who gave their lives to save those of us who survived."  He didn't talk much about combat in Vietnam. His eyes glistened and he would just sigh and turn away. I knew that he was thinking back. I knew that he was once again hearing the helicopter blades , seeing the faces of his fellow Green Berets who never made it home. I knew he was remembering and wondering why he did.

That was Henry. Humble,quiet,and looking at You ,reading you, discerning You, choosing his words and just enjoying life and the friendship that existed. Oh he was an outspoken American patriot. He had his opinions and thoughts and would share them if asked. He could debate with the best of them. When Henry spoke and offered his insights and opinions,and perspectives, You knew you better listen and consider them. Here was a man who didn't rant and vent his spleen,bitter and angry with everything.  Here was a man who was cut from a different cloth. A rare cloth. A valuable cloth.

When Henry came back from Vietnam he proposed a first in the Special Forces, organizing and helping to implement Scuba & Divers Training among Green Berets & Special Forces. Basically coming up with a US ARMY version of rigorous and disciplined Scuba & Divers Training that had combat applications. He was a pioneer and helped train others in Training that today would be comparable to US NAVY SEAL Training.  To this day,the US ARMY has the resources to do just that with Special Forces all because of Henry's involvement and willingness to establish such Training.

After Henry retired and left the US ARMY as a Sgt.Major he spent his life with his Family and living the life that God had granted him after Vietnam and Military Service. He became a Security Counsultant and traveled the globe and helped train Law Enforcement agencies across the USA,and even overseas in other nations and Industry in Military Security Tactics, Counterterrorism Tactics  and Personal Security Tactics. He wasn't a mercenary or anything like that, nor did he become a globetrotting braggard touting his own Military Service. No- Henry genuinely trained Police Officers the world over how to survice attacks that would otherwise cost lives. The focus was on getting the Candidates in his Training classes to excell and become exceptional and to "think outside the box" when it came to crisis situations and dangerous instances.

Only God knows how many lives have been saved because Henry Damon Tillman invested his life in sharing what he knew. Henry knew that what he understood had helped save his life. So he invested in seeking to save other people's lives.

Recently a couple years ago, my son-in-law Eric Livingston ,my best friend Dannie Evans, Henry's son-in-law Dave,and myself traveled to Baxley,Georgia which lies just outside Ft Stewart to "Henry's Compound" as we described his residence,and hiked about a mile or so ,set up a campsite and for an entire weekend learned Green Beret survival Tactics. Henry in his late 60's camped out with us and taught us his treasure trove of personal knowledge. The Sgt.Major was in his element. I watched him as he held his coffee cup and suddenly became Henry the Instructor. We all sat around a blazing fire and talked late into the evening of the Last Days & Endtimes , how we would all travel to "Henry's Compound" and meet and survive the difficulties "when the balloon went up"....

Henry told us the next time we came back for more Training, we would build a wooden log raft and sail the Rivers in Georgia,fish, cookout on a grill  and relax and have a "grand old time" on the water.

In his latter years Henry once again began attending Church and recommitted his own life and faith to Jesus Christ. He had the opportunity to share his spiritual gifts and even spoke from the pulpit at his Church in Baxley,Georgia. He became a faithful friend to the Pastor and others in the Church. He had sweet fellowship and a solid friendship.

In 2011 I felt led of the Lord to contact the Georgia Congressional Delegation and basically asked them to please considera proclaimation that recognized and honored Henry Damon Tillman for his Military Service in Vietnam as a Green Beret Special Forces Sgt.Major,and for his Service in helping to Train Law Enforcement agencies in Counterterrorism Tactics and Security Tactics that helped save American lives.  The document arrived and a few weeks later at his daughter Quy's house she and Dave presented it to Henry as a surprise. He sat there and tilted his head like he always did and a small grin was revealed as it was read to him. I wish I could've done more to render honor to this true American Hero. The greatest honor I have ever been privileged to receive in all my years of volunteerism and lay ministry was to number Henry Damon Tillman as my friend and Christian brother-in-Jesus Christ.

I recall one of our last conversations after his heart surgery and he was recuperating at Dave & Quy's in Summerville. He stepped outside and stood there on the porch as I sat on the front steps. We talked of our planned visit to Baxley and "The Compound" and the anticipated Raft Trip up the River. He sipped his coffee and got quiet and told me the entire heart surgery experience had caused him to look over his life and he recognized that there were more days behind then ahead  and that his life was in God's hands. He asked me to " look after Dave & Quy" if anything happened to him. He told me the lesson for him was that without Jesus Christ and his faith in Jesus Christ he knew he couldn't make it. Later I realized that was quite a statement of Faith from Henry. When I heard of his Homegoing, I wept sitting on my couch in my living room. I know it was selfish of me. But I loved Henry. I treasured his Friendship and the fellowship we shared. I cannot number the many times that in reference to ongoing events that Henry would say-" it's the Last Days, it's only going to wax worse. We got to ready ourselves for what is coming ."

It is close to 4:00am as I type these words and share this Eulogy for Henry. Right now Henry is more alive than any of us on this Earth. Henry is in the New Jerusalem in the precense of Our Lord Jesus Christ.  There is no more threat of heart attack and death. He has his glorified body and is reunited with his Loved Ones and Friends who entered Eternity in Heaven. Who knows what God called him to Glory to accomplish ?  What ? You think when we pass into Eternity all we do is sit on clouds,playing harps? Get real!  The Bible says we will Judge Angels, help establish the Kingdom of God, and otherwise be about the Father's business!  I envision Henry getting acclamated to his Mansion in the New Jerusalem and then stepping forwards and asking what he can do.  Perhaps St.Peter smiled and motioned for Henry to follow him. They walk the short distance from the Throne Room to the corner of Alleuia Boulevard and Praise Lane and walk into a large room filled with a battalion sized force of Angels. "OK-the Sgt.Major is here. The Sgt.Major will know how to get all of You in shape for the Second Coming ." I can see Henry standing there sizing up the battalion. He beckons to a Angel who steps forwards.

" Please bring me a cup of coffee. We got Training to do..."

I Love You Henry. I'll look out for Dave & Quy.Always. Thanks for being my Friend.

See You in the Air!

Chaplain Bill Herrmann

It's a tough time man, and I know first hand the pain and sorrow. I was that close to my father in law too, and it hurt like hell to lose him. I'm sorry. He taught me things my own father never did, never could. There were conversations we had, laughs we shared, and things we did father to father, man to man, and father to son. Those memories never go away. Love and respect like that never does. Henry was a helluva man Dave. I hope he meets Hugo. They have a lot to talk about. Thank you for sharing.

Very Sorry rose.gif

Wow..what a story.Your'e Father-in-law was a true hero and patriot.

He did his duty, to God and Country.Thanks for posting.

RIP rose.gif

Edited by go2wrk@95974

RIP rose.gif

What a great man and a beautiful tribute!

I lost my father in law this January, and his was a military funeral, since he spent 20 yrs in the Air Force, and even though he never saw combat, he was a great man as well.

There's nothing sadder or more stirring than a military funeral. It is impossible to hold it together when Taps is played.

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd103/laserspray/internet%20stuff/wishes/columbine8-1.jpg

I'm so sorry for your loss. What a privilege it has been for you to know him. He sounds like such a remarkable man in so many ways. rose.gif