What are you reading?

Jack Aubrey

Started The Hobbit today.

I love this world...amazing debut novel!

Have you never read The Hobbit before?

Oh yes but not for a long while. I have a beautiful hardcover with illustrations by Alan Lee (who went on to be the Oscar winning art designer for the LOTR movies).

Oh yes but not for a long while. I have a beautiful hardcover with illustrations by Alan Lee (who went on to be the Oscar winning art designer for the LOTR movies).

Ooh, very nice. And I would have been surprised if you had never read this before! :D

What I want is for someone to take those three Hobbit movies and edit them down to one 1.5-hour movie.

• Like 1

Ooh, very nice. And I would have been surprised if you had never read this before! :D

What I want is for someone to take those three Hobbit movies and edit them down to one 1.5-hour movie.

I am going to watch them after I have finished reading this book.

I saw An Unexpected Journey at the cinema, and LOVED it. But I have yet to see the next two (and quite frankly...not sure why there are a "next two").

Tolkien was the master. Sure, I love other fantasy epics a lot (Tad Williams, Rowling, C.S. Lewis etc), but Tolkien was a true visionary.

I always enjoy coming back to his work. His books read like history, not as stories.

• Like 3

I saw An Unexpected Journey at the cinema, and LOVED it. But I have yet to see the next two (and quite frankly...not sure why there are a "next two").

Tolkien was the master. Sure, I love other fantasy epics a lot (Tad Williams, Rowling, C.S. Lewis etc), but Tolkien was a true visionary.

I always enjoy coming back to his work. His books read like history, not as stories.

C.S. Lewis was an encouraging factor in Tolkien putting The Hobbit into book form.

"Tolkien was a private man who, when he met Lewis, had written his mythic tales for a private audience. He had very little confidence that they could speak to a wider audience. But from the beginning of their relationship, Lewis encouraged his friend to finish and publish his stories. He delighted to hear Tolkien read chapters of his epic trilogy, as he completed them, at meetings of their Oxford reading group, the Inklings. And Tolkien was immensely encouraged by those meetings. It spurred him on."

• Like 4

C.S. Lewis was an encouraging factor in Tolkien putting The Hobbit into book form.

"Tolkien was a private man who, when he met Lewis, had written his mythic tales for a private audience. He had very little confidence that they could speak to a wider audience. But from the beginning of their relationship, Lewis encouraged his friend to finish and publish his stories. He delighted to hear Tolkien read chapters of his epic trilogy, as he completed them, at meetings of their Oxford reading group, the Inklings. And Tolkien was immensely encouraged by those meetings. It spurred him on."

Yes I knew this!

I love both! C.S. Lewis is the writer who first gave me the reading bug! Then Tolkien, then Rowling!

And the list never ends...

• Like 1

Finished book two of Tad Williams Shadowmarch quartet. It's great, it gets better with every chapter and the atmosphere is electrifying (even when it gets slow).

Now onto book three, Shadowrise.

Also close to finishing The Hobbit.

I finished the first volume of Edmund Morris' Teddy Roosevelt biography. I'm currently 60 pages into the second volume, Theodore Rex.
  • Like 1

Animal Farm - George Orwell

Simple and short, nearly at the expense of enjoyment. Regardless, now one less pop-culture reference will slip past me :LOL:

• Like 2

Finished reading The Hobbit today. Still in awe by just how refreshingly modern it feels, and once again I am of the opinion that this book, published in 1937, could still be the single greatest work of fantasy fiction of all time. A few rival it for me, notably The Lord Of The Rings, Tad Williams Memory, Sorrow And Thorn and of course, Harry Potter.

I have a few more series on my list to read, and I want to return to classic literature as well. I once again desire to read War And Peace, but I have really got to get started on Dickens again.

A Tale Of Two Cities used to be my favourite novel in the whole wide world...I am interested to see if it still is!

Anyway, I finished the Hobbit, and I am still reading book three of Tad Williams Shadowmarch quartet, but I want to read something else as well...

• Like 1

Just finished Mystery of the last Olympian by Richie Kohler ((with Charlie Hudson) which was about his dives on the Britannic (the sister ship to the Titanic and Olympic)

Now I'm reading Sea Salt II, More Salt, by Stan Waterman (the guy who did all of the cinematography on The Deep, and Blue Water, White Death) Crazy, guy too, I got to meet him at a diving show out in NJ this past March, and the old guy is a RIOT! So I got his book, which is a bunch of short stories on places he's been diving, pretty good stuff!

After the true stuff... I have some old Grisham on deck....(Rogue Lawyer, and Sycamore Row...didn't read those yet)

Now I'm reading Sea Salt II, More Salt, by Stan Waterman (the guy who did all of the cinematography on The Deep, and Blue Water, White Death) Crazy, guy too, I got to meet him at a diving show out in NJ this past March, and the old guy is a RIOT! So I got his book, which is a bunch of short stories on places he's been diving, pretty good stuff!

Oh, he has a new book out?! I read Sea Salt after meeting Stan, and as I read it I heard it in his voice :) I really lucked out on a particular dive trip when I lived on a boat for a week with Stan and Valerie and Ron Taylor. It was amazing.

Oh, he has a new book out?! I read Sea Salt after meeting Stan, and as I read it I heard it in his voice :) I really lucked out on a particular dive trip when I lived on a boat for a week with Stan and Valerie and Ron Taylor. It was amazing.

I need a live aboard trip...trouble is my wife doesn't dive...anyway..

Yeah Stan has a new one, I have to get the old one at some point, but the man is so much fun! I got to his seminar a little early, and just sat near the front...he comes in sits down in front of me and just starts talking, and joking about someone that tried to sell him a new dive computer or something... And the fact that the man is a freaking legend is also cool! But I agree...you start reading and you hear it in his distinctive voice like his narration on his short films...kind of wild!

• Like 1

The Sun & The Moon & The Rolling Stones - Rich Cohen

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp338/plantfan40/51XUqJATbcL._AC_US160_.jpg

It was really well written and very enjoyable. Definitely about the Stones, but even if you're not a big Stones

fan you might like it because it's also about being a rock fan when music is really important to you. I liked it a lot.

• Like 2

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp338/plantfan40/51bU3eZeDyL._AC_US160_.jpgFortunate Son: My Life, My Music- John Fogarty and Jimmy McDonough

This was interesting in some ways but too much ego (or something) in other places. I'm glad he finally found happiness in the end with a second wife and children with her. HIs music has always been awesome.

• Like 1

Still reading book three of Tad Williams Shadowmarch quartet, Shadowplay.

But I am always itching for more so I have also started Robert Jordans mammoth 14 book fantasy epic The Wheel Of Time with The Eye Of The World. Seems good!

I spent two years unable to concentrate on anything due to medication. I am more than making up for it now haha

Still reading book three of Tad Williams Shadowmarch quartet, Shadowplay.

But I am always itching for more so I have also started Robert Jordans mammoth 14 book fantasy epic The Wheel Of Time with The Eye Of The World. Seems good!

I spent two years unable to concentrate on anything due to medication. I am more than making up for it now haha

I keep saying Shadowplay. That was book two. I am reading Shadowrise haha!