What are you reading?

Jack Aubrey

Brian Wilson is a genius and I have loved the Beach Boys forever, but their family unit /band was/is always a dysfunctional mess. . . .the book was well written though and explains a lot . . .

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp338/plantfan40/Heroes%20amp%20Villains--The%20True%20Story%20of%20the%20Beach%20Boys%20Grafton%20Books%201987.jpg

• Like 2

Brian Wilson is a genius and I have loved the Beach Boys forever, but their family unit /band was/is always a dysfunctional mess. . . .the book was well written though and explains a lot . . .

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp338/plantfan40/Heroes%20amp%20Villains--The%20True%20Story%20of%20the%20Beach%20Boys%20Grafton%20Books%201987.jpg

Murry Wilson was out of his mind...

...poor Carl, Dennis and Brian.

• Like 3

Dropped Golden Fox; I can't do it!

Instead I'll be diving headfirst into this:

http://www.patrickrothfuss.com/images/page/cover_uk.jpg

I so want to read this! The man who helped bring the world's attention to Tad Williams in the late eighties discovered this author as well, but I want to start this when the trilogy is complete as I never want to be left waiting for the conclusion to a series ever again!

He is taking ages!

I am on the last 100 pages of Tad Williams epic fantasy Memory, Sorrow and Thorn.

Over 1 million words of near perfection. A bit longwinded, but then again I have enjoyed every single letter of it.

I am already in mourning for the grand finale. Thank goodness the sequel series is in the works! Just a shame I have to wait a year (although considering the last part of the book was published in 2003, I have little to complain about).

Tad Williams thrilled me in my school years.

He is my favourite author. Hands down I have grown with his works and on so many levels he has taught me about life.

Just finished To Green Angel Tower, the third part of Memory, Sorrow and Thorn.

Speechless.

It's always been regarded as a major fantasy masterwork.

But as a piece of literature, it might just be the finest work I have ever read.

Months and months spent in the world of Osten Ard. Now it's over I am speechless and already sad it's over.

I will return very soon.

• Like 1

I have to continue with Tad Williams.

I love his work.

So I started his second fantasy epic:

Shadowmarch (book one of the Shadowmarch trilogy).

So far so good. People have complained this is slow, but he says right in the prelude: "Remember this, dreamer, when you see what is to follow. As the blind king said, this is a beginning."

Roll on more epic Tad Williams!

A 100 pages into Shadowmarch...wow...it took a lot less time to get going and I am sure by the end it will be another winner for me!

I don't read as much as I ought to. I took a roommate to SLC's fantastic main library today, and we're going back tomorrow to get him a card and further relax. Ghost Rider shows up as available, so I'm going to check it out. Union thinks I will enjoy it, since I enjoy Neil's website stories.
  • Like 2

Just have to say that Shadowmarch is faster paced than Memory, Sorrow and Thorn, with slightly less compelling characterization but a few more fantastical elements.

Tad Williams seems to be using a few stock trademarks of his to create a fleshed out story that I am hoping spreads out across a vast landscape and captivates me til the very last page.

I am not bored, but I am hoping this already very good story improves.

I just live Tad Williams. I don't enjoy the sex and foul language of a lot of modern fantasy, and Tad Williams writes more deeply than most authors in any genre I know of, so the weighty prose mixed with his broad imagination really captivates me. I have plenty more left to read of his work...it's very hard to even think of another writer right now when I am so engrossed in his world.

But I accept that I may never find another work of fiction that pulls me in quite like Memory, Sorrow and Thorn. That may be a once in a lifetime treasure, although I count Richard Yates sad drama Revolutionary Road and A Tale Of Two Cities as two other books that changed my life.

• Like 1

Most recently I have read Rubicon by Tom Holland (fabulous non-fiction about the fall of the Roman Republic), then followed that up with Voyage of The Basilisk by Marie Brennan (third book in her Lady Trent series), and I'm now about 20 pages from the end of Defender by C J Cherryh, which is the fifth book in her brilliant 'Foreigner' series. After this it'll probably be either The October Horse by Colleen McCullough (sixth book in her 'Masters of Rome' series) or a re-read of Dune Messiah by Frank Herbert.
  • Like 1

Most recently I have read Rubicon by Tom Holland (fabulous non-fiction about the fall of the Roman Republic), then followed that up with Voyage of The Basilisk by Marie Brennan (third book in her Lady Trent series), and I'm now about 20 pages from the end of Defender by C J Cherryh, which is the fifth book in her brilliant 'Foreigner' series. After this it'll probably be either The October Horse by Colleen McCullough (sixth book in her 'Masters of Rome' series) or a re-read of Dune Messiah by Frank Herbert.

My dad read Dune and thought the sequels were lacking...

I wish I read like you! I think most of this year will be spent with Tad Williams, and then next year he has new releases coming so I see next year being Tad Williams.

And then I think maybe I should read more than one book at a time but then I end up just reading more Tad Williams.

Smh

• Like 1

My dad read Dune and thought the sequels were lacking...

Yeah, he's right, from what I can recall. I read the first book for the third time a few weeks back, and still love it (possibly even more nowadays). I read the following two books back in the 80s but haven't read them since, so I figured it might be time whilst the first is still fresh in my mind.

But I've just finished Cherryh's Defender and now I'm thinking I should read more of her stuff instead. Decisions, decisions.