What are you reading?

Jack Aubrey

Just started another Doctor Who novelization: The Nightmare Fair, with the 6th Doctor, featuring the return of 1st Doctor baddie "The Celestial Toymaker".

This one's a bit different, because it was never actually made on TV. It was written, and ready to be filmed, but the show was forced on hiatus for 18 months, and when they came back they made The Trial of a Time Lord series instead...so I have no idea what's going to happen. The same thing happened with Mission to Magnus, which I'm going to be reading soon.

Finished Fatherland by Robert Harris. It's a great political mystery novel that takes place in a fictional 1960's Nazi Germany that had won WW2. Compelling story and great film noir-esque dialogue.

I've been wanting to read this, but it has yet to be released on Kindle. It's been awhile since I purchased an actual book but I may soon if this one remains elusive.

Finished Fatherland by Robert Harris. It's a great political mystery novel that takes place in a fictional 1960's Nazi Germany that had won WW2. Compelling story and great film noir-esque dialogue.

I've been wanting to read this, but it has yet to be released on Kindle. It's been awhile since I purchased an actual book but I may soon if this one remains elusive.

I've read Fatherland a couple times and really enjoyed it.

I have been reading the Silkworm by Robert Galbraith (aka JK Rowling) and it is quite gritty and intense. Loved the Cuckoo's Calling so I got this one as well. I am listening to the audio and the narrator is fabulous.

I also just finished The Silver Linings Playbook and it was funny and sad. May watch the movie to compare.

I have just about finished the Longmire series and they are great too, on a mystery kick I guess.

Edited by Rhyta
  • Like 1

Tonight I will start reading Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy

Good book. So is War and Peace.

War and Peace is perfection.

Tonight I will start reading Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy

Good book. So is War and Peace.

War and Peace is perfection.

It's good. And it inspired an awesome Yes song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwhS0htex9Q

Agreed that song is epic!

But, along with the artwork, I sense more of a Tolkien vibe from the music than Tolstoy.

Anyway, reading Lemony Snicket's A Series Of Unfortunate Events for the first time.

What splendid humour! Dark, twisted, delicously macabre...all I can think of that is comparable is the work of Tim Burton. These books would be brilliantly adapted into stop-motion animation in his hands, I am certain!

Forget about giving these books to kids. I avoided these for years and now I am so pleased to read them for the first time as an adult! (I was a Spiderwick Chronicles fan as a child, and overall I still prefer those books. But I can make room for both!).

Anyway, reading Lemony Snicket's A Series Of Unfortunate Events for the first time.

What splendid humour! Dark, twisted, delicously macabre...all I can think of that is comparable is the work of Tim Burton. These books would be brilliantly adapted into stop-motion animation in his hands, I am certain!

Forget about giving these books to kids. I avoided these for years and now I am so pleased to read them for the first time as an adult! (I was a Spiderwick Chronicles fan as a child, and overall I still prefer those books. But I can make room for both!).

might I recommend See Spot Run next?

currently reading white noise

I tried reading underworld and couldn't finish it. I'm liking this one a lot more, but not loving it or anything. I think I would have enjoyed it more when I was younger. "man, this is a consumerist society we're livin in, mannnn" stuff doesn't appeal to me like it used to. I was really into bret easton ellis when I was 15/16 and I can see how this directly influenced him, which is neat.

might I recommend See Spot Run next?

Lol!

The reason i am reading such light fare is because having OCD and major depression, I am on medication that appears to have robbed me of concentration. so lighter reading fare is currently essential (i really battled Tolkien, and I dont consider him particularly difficult).

I have a large list of books to read that are much more adult, and once i am certain i can digest them enjoyably, i am going to persevere with my YA marathon.

• Like 1

good luck with your depression.

and tolkien can be pretty dense

No offense taken!

I plan to get stuck into some Ian McEwan next! Tiring of children's literature for the moment so must tackle some non fantasy for adults soon!