Snakes and Arrows

Brock2112

I have three teachers in my old school and two of which said the new CD was the worst one they have. I really disagree i think this show a whole new side to them show how versatile they are and how they have changed over the years. A few of my friends agree including my brother. Although some say oh the drum parts are not hard enough. Does Neil really have to play hard drum parts to make a good song. Now i am just rambling, i want to know what you guys think of the new CD.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As to these people who say that the drum parts aren't difficult: how many of them have actual drumming experience?

My guess would be "none of them".

not the worst but not the best.......imo

QUOTE (Marathonist @ Sep 6 2008, 09:55 AM)
As to these people who say that the drum parts aren't difficult: how many of them have actual drumming experience?

Yes. Attempt the opening of Armour and Sword interplaying the Diamondback Chinese Cymbal with another Cymbal at the same time, I think the Splash...you can hear two differnt Cymbals if you listen closely to the beginning... 2.gif 1022.gif

at first listen i wasnt bowled over by snakes and arrowsin fact i had to listen to it about 5 times before it started to work for me.

its not immediately a great album but it grows on you unlike vapour trails and test for echo which will always be awful no matter how many times you listen to them!!

QUOTE (tel @ Sep 6 2008, 10:14 AM)
at first listen i wasnt bowled over by snakes and arrowsin fact i had to listen to it about 5 times before it started to work for me.
its not immediately a great album but it grows on you unlike vapour trails and test for echo which will always be awful no matter how many times you listen to them!!

Speak for yourself... 2.gif 1022.gif

I don't know, I had to listen to 2112 3 times before I finally "got it"! S&A is the best work Rush has done in quite some time, IMO. Also imo, some people automatically reject new Rush out of hand. It's a knee-jerk reaction. I definatly do not subscribe to the "Old Rush good, new Rush bad" school of thought.

QUOTE (Brock2112 @ Sep 6 2008, 05:47 PM)
I have three teachers in my old school and two of which said the new CD was the worst one they have. I really disagree i think this show a whole new side to them show how versatile they are and how they have changed over the years. A few of my friends agree including my brother. Although some say oh the drum parts are not hard enough. Does Neil really have to play hard drum parts to make a good song. Now i am just rambling, i want to know what you guys think of the new CD.

More importantly, what the hell are you doing talking to your teachers about music?

In fact, why are you talking to them at all?

Back in my day, they were the enemy. to be avoided at all costs, not having cozy chats with..

Bah! old.gif

laugh.gif wink.gif

QUOTE (Brock2112 @ Sep 6 2008, 11:47 AM)

Now guys, let's all settle down! Maybe the teachers never bought Test for Echo. It's not a fair comparison until they have. tongue.gif

QUOTE (Fridge @ Sep 6 2008, 12:44 PM)
I have three teachers in my old school and two of which said the new CD was the worst one they have.  I really disagree i think this show a whole new side to them show how versatile they are and how they have changed over the years.  A few of my friends agree including my brother.  Although some say oh the drum parts are not hard enough.  Does Neil really have to play hard drum parts to make a good song.  Now i am just rambling, i want to know what you guys think of the new CD.

More importantly, what the hell are you doing talking to your teachers about music?

Back in my day, they were the enemy. to be avoided at all costs, not having cozy chats with..

Bah! old.gif

laugh.gif wink.gif

rofl3.gif And we definatly didn't have anything to do with the music our parents and teachers listened to! dazed025.gif old.gif

I feel that S&A is a harder jam album than many of the past. This lends itself well to their current conditions vocally and mechanically.

These albums takes time to fall inlove with, however when you do ,it all works so well. 2.gif I am soo happy with this Album. Great energy on tour as well.

QUOTE (CygXanTor @ Sep 6 2008, 12:54 PM)
QUOTE (Fridge @ Sep 6 2008, 12:44 PM)
I have three teachers in my old school and two of which said the new CD was the worst one they have.  I really disagree i think this show a whole new side to them show how versatile they are and how they have changed over the years.  A few of my friends agree including my brother.  Although some say oh the drum parts are not hard enough.  Does Neil really have to play hard drum parts to make a good song.  Now i am just rambling, i want to know what you guys think of the new CD.

Bah! old.gif

laugh.gif wink.gif

rofl3.gif And we definatly didn't have anything to do with the music our parents and teachers listened to! dazed025.gif old.gif

Yeh, I'm having some trouble adjusting to the multi-generational thing. It used to be Frank Sinatra vs. the devil music. Though we did have a substitute teacher who would listen to Tull and Sabbath with us. He got fired. wacko.gif

It's... Rush. I've been a satisfied customer all the way through. Nothing changed with S&A. 1022.gif

QUOTE (Marathonist @ Sep 6 2008, 12:55 PM)

I decided it was time to learn Main Monkey Business on drums this week.

Although not that technically difficult, there are so many different details and fills and grooves, it's one of Neil's best songs ever!

I think the main "Problem" if there is one, is it was a bit badly produced... How many times can you sing "Working Them Angels" in a song? Some songs would have greatly benefited from a few more bridges, or verses

But trust a drummer, this album has some GREAT playing on it!

QUOTE (CygXanTor @ Sep 6 2008, 12:33 PM)
I definitely do not subscribe to the "Old Rush good, new Rush bad" school of thought.

I do, because I invented it smile.gif

I fixed your spelling too smile.gif

S&A is better than VT, that doesn't say a lot. It's the best Rush album since Counterparts. If it lost We Hold On, Faithless, Bravest Face and Good News First 062802puke_prv.gif it would be the best since Power Windows. This does not say too much...................

The true Glory of Rush lies from the debut to Permanent Waves, quality levels have tailed off since. It is a fact.

I suppose this makes me not a Rush fan. Believe what you will.

Trust a non-drummer, Neil isn't as viscerally exciting as he used to be.

Oh and if you are still at school, you should not be listening to Rush, it is music for middle aged men, go find your own music, to truly appreciate Rush you have to have been born before 1965.

Archived