Snakes and Arrows

Brock2112

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (King Troll @ Sep 6 2008, 05:53 PM)
QUOTE (CygXanTor @ Sep 6 2008, 12:33 PM)
I definitely do not subscribe to the "Old Rush good, new Rush bad" school of thought.

I do, because I invented it smile.gif

I fixed your spelling too smile.gif

S&A is better than VT, that doesn't say a lot. It's the best Rush album since Counterparts. If it lost We Hold On, Faithless, Bravest Face and Good News First 062802puke_prv.gif it would be the best since Power Windows. This does not say too much...................

The true Glory of Rush lies from the debut to Permanent Waves, quality levels have tailed off since. It is a fact.

I suppose this makes me not a Rush fan. Believe what you will.

Trust a non-drummer, Neil isn't as viscerally exciting as he used to be.

Oh and if you are still at school, you should not be listening to Rush, it is music for middle aged men, go find your own music, to truly appreciate Rush you have to have been born before 1965.

If no one of younger ages listened to Rush and listened to all this sappy, crappy-ass modern-music, then we'd have the same older fans and no one to introduce music to. It's called evolution, and apparently you've never heard of it. You can't sound the same forever, that would be boring.

Snakes and Arrows is a great album. The production is crisp and the songwriting is the most well rounded since at least Counterparts, but i would even go back to Grace Under Pressure

How many bands this deep into there career are making relevant music?

I saw The Police on there " reunion" tour this summer, and though they sounded amazing, i felt sort of ripped off. They have no intention of releasing NEW music. Its a cash grab , as it is with most of these older bands.

We as Rush fans should be grateful that they are still creating music and are PASSIONATE about it after 34 years.

And it does help that Snakes is a great release, IMO.

QUOTE (Brock2112 @ Sep 6 2008, 01:47 PM)
I have three teachers in my old school and two of which said the new CD was the worst one they have. I really disagree i think this show a whole new side to them show how versatile they are and how they have changed over the years. A few of my friends agree including my brother. Although some say oh the drum parts are not hard enough. Does Neil really have to play hard drum parts to make a good song. Now i am just rambling, i want to know what you guys think of the new CD.

Honestly, I think it's an awesome work. Really great and better than some previous ones they made. I put Snakes and Arrows on my list of favorite Rush albums. smile.gif

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Sep 6 2008, 11:05 PM)
I definitely do not subscribe to the "Old Rush good, new Rush bad" school of thought.

S&A is better than VT, that doesn't say a lot. It's the best Rush album since Counterparts. If it lost We Hold On, Faithless, Bravest Face and Good News First 062802puke_prv.gif it would be the best since Power Windows. This does not say too much...................

The true Glory of Rush lies from the debut to Permanent Waves, quality levels have tailed off since. It is a fact.

Oh and if you are still at school, you should not be listening to Rush, it is music for middle aged men, go find your own music, to truly appreciate Rush you have to have been born before 1965.

If no one of younger ages listened to Rush and listened to all this sappy, crappy-ass modern-music, then we'd have the same older fans and no one to introduce music to. It's called evolution, and apparently you've never heard of it. You can't sound the same forever, that would be boring.

He has got a point though. I appreciate bands like Muse much more because I've grown up with them.

However, to say don't listen to them at all, well, that's just him. To take advice from King Troll and take him seriously would be like considering everything Basil Fawlty says as gospel truth.

Being the type of band Rush is, always evolving, do you really think they were going to stay in the 70's, "glory days" sound mode forever??

I'm not saying every album they've ever released is a classic, and there have been some bumps in the road, but they are the ballsiest band ever.

Never looking back, trying different things, and all while having the fans who bitch the most of any group, but continue to do it there way.

It's a great album. I liked it even more after the tour, if anyone can relate to that. They've still got it. yes.gif

QUOTE (Maestro @ Sep 6 2008, 09:55 PM)
QUOTE (King Troll @ Sep 6 2008, 03:53 PM)
...To truly appreciate Rush, you have to have been born before 1965.

old.gif Whew... ...I just made it under the wire! wink.gif

I'm four years late on that one, but I disagree with KT anyway.

QUOTE (Marathonist @ Sep 6 2008, 07:56 PM)

I don't agree w/ 'im on this matter either. I know a lot of people a lot younger than me who are keen to Rush.

S&A? It's a fine album. A Phenomenal Tour. Enough said.

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Sep 6 2008, 06:05 PM)

And if Rush did sound the same forever, they'd catch Hell for it!

QUOTE (CygXanTor @ Sep 6 2008, 12:54 PM)
QUOTE (Fridge @ Sep 6 2008, 12:44 PM)
QUOTE (Brock2112 @ Sep 6 2008, 05:47 PM)
I have three teachers in my old school and two of which said the new CD was the worst one they have.  I really disagree i think this show a whole new side to them show how versatile they are and how they have changed over the years.  A few of my friends agree including my brother.  Although some say oh the drum parts are not hard enough.  Does Neil really have to play hard drum parts to make a good song.  Now i am just rambling, i want to know what you guys think of the new CD.

More importantly, what the hell are you doing talking to your teachers about music?

In fact, why are you talking to them at all?

Back in my day, they were the enemy. to be avoided at all costs, not having cozy chats with..

Bah! old.gif

laugh.gif wink.gif

rofl3.gif And we definatly didn't have anything to do with the music our parents and teachers listened to! dazed025.gif old.gif

Well teachers must be cool if they like rush, i talked to them because my peers love horrible music and a few of my teachers love i would say the greatest band.

QUOTE (Marathonist @ Sep 6 2008, 09:56 PM)

I'm with ya, and I was born before '65... old.gif

QUOTE (CygXanTor @ Sep 6 2008, 10:53 PM)

That is ridiculous I was born in 90' and i can truly appreciate them, i guess i have not been to most of their tours but i still listen to them whenever I can, during each song listening to every harmony and melody to see how well they smooth together. I definitely feel i appreciate them and i was born no where near 65' but i guess being able to go to more concerts would help appreciate them understood.

rofl3.gif Certainly living up to your username...

I do think you have a point though, us younger fans will never be able to appreciate Rush (or at least their earlier material) like our parents. b_sigh.gif And I also personally think Rush has been going downhill since Permanent Waves. ph34r.gif

But S&A is a great album! yes.gif

Anyone who says Rush has been going downhill since Permanent Waves is just crazy. The best albums were yet to come IMO.

The only problem I see is that in the past Rush albums had like 7 songs on it and nowadays it's more like 13. I love Snakes & Arrows, but it probably would be better with just 10 songs on it.

I love the 70's albums, but honestly Geddy's voice sounds like shit in those days, some songs just are too damn long, and some of the lyrics are just Tolkien rip-off sci-fi crap. There are good albums in every era, but the best period was from Permanent Waves to Power Windows IMO.

QUOTE (Brock2112 @ Sep 6 2008, 10:59 PM)
QUOTE (CygXanTor @ Sep 6 2008, 10:53 PM)

That is ridiculous I was born in 90' and i can truly appreciate them, i guess i have not been to most of their tours but i still listen to them whenever I can, during each song listening to every harmony and melody to see how well they smooth together. I definitely feel i appreciate them and i was born no where near 65' but i guess being able to go to more concerts would help appreciate them understood.

No. I'm sorry you cannot truly appreciate them, you never knew them at their creative and artistic peak.

I love Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Yes abd Black Sabbath, but I cannot have the same connection with them as I can with Rush. I was there for maximum Rushage, the aforementioned bands had already reached their creative zeniths before I discovered them, their zeitgeist escaped me.

Even Rush in their heart of hearts know their creative peak has passed which is why the last tour was based around plugging the latest release and then the bulk of the rest of the set being PeW/MP material.

I guess we can't appreciate them in the same way as the older fans, but that doesn't make us any less of fans. I mean, we can hardly help when we were born! And you shouldn't penalise us or talk down to us for it.

QUOTE (Jaye @ Sep 7 2008, 12:55 PM)
I guess we can't appreciate them in the same way as the older fans, but that doesn't make us any less of fans. I mean, we can hardly help when we were born! And you shouldn't penalise us or talk down to us for it.

No one can appreciate anything in the same way as anyone else. It's a personal experience.

And Rush tours have ALWAYS been about promoting the newest release.

QUOTE (steelcaressed @ Sep 6 2008, 07:35 PM)
It's a great album w/ some awesome production.

(I still like Neil's sound better on TFE, even though that one is lyrically bereft of skill.)

Compared to VT, the production is incredible.

Tell Geddy he's berift of skill on 2.gif T4E... 1022.gif

QUOTE (tel @ Sep 6 2008, 07:14 PM)
at first listen i wasnt bowled over by snakes and arrowsin fact i had to listen to it about 5 times before it started to work for me.
its not immediately a great album but it grows on you unlike vapour trails and test for echo which will always be awful no matter how many times you listen to them!!

totally agree, those 2 albums are by far the worst.

S & A was such a relief after more than a decade.

Archived