the "random music thoughts" thread

fledgehog

John Lennon's solo career was really unremarkable. But at least he made Plastic Ono Band.

Mick

The other Beatles had much better songs. Other than Ringo, he and John were equal to each other

I agree. After such great Beatles stuff. John seemed to flounder aimlessly solo. As i said he started strong with Plastic Ono. Then flat line. I hate to say it but his death really cast a golden halo around his career.

Mick

• Like 1

John Lennon's solo career was really unremarkable. But at least he made Plastic Ono Band.

Mick

The other Beatles had much better songs. Other than Ringo, he and John were equal to each other

:o

Mick

:o

lol. don't sweat it if ya like it. IMO There ain't much there solo wise. 1 and a half albums for me.

Mick

Mick

I agree. After such great Beatles stuff. John seemed to flounder aimlessly solo. As i said he started strong with Plastic Ono. Then flat line. I hate to say it but his death really cast a golden halo around his career.

Mick

Plastic Ono Band and Imagine are both fantastic albums. I will say "Imagine", the song, is vastly overrated. Yes, after Imagine, Lennon did come across aimless, but he definitely wrote some magnificent songs during the mid-1970s, any of his compilation albums attest to it. The songs on Double Fantasy are as consistently great as anything Lennon wrote and the posthumous Milk and Honey songs were on their way to being fleshed out to their potential. With that said, how can you top what he produced with the Beatles? Honestly, how?

Mick

Mick

Plastic Ono Band and Imagine are both fantastic albums. I will say "Imagine", the song, is vastly overrated. Yes, after Imagine, Lennon did come across aimless, but he definitely wrote some magnificent songs during the mid-1970s, any of his compilation albums attest to it. The songs on Double Fantasy are as consistently great as anything Lennon wrote and the posthumous Milk and Honey songs were on their way to being fleshed out to their potential. With that said, how can you top what he produced with the Beatles? Honestly, how?

Touche about the Beatles output. I like his stuff on double Fantasy. Yoko's.....no. I'm not a yoko hater, BTW. I just wish she would have stepped back for that record. It could have be GREAT.

Mick

Mick

Mick

Touche about the Beatles output. I like his stuff on double Fantasy. Yoko's.....no. I'm not a yoko hater, BTW. I just wish she would have stepped back for that record. It could have be GREAT.

Mick

Hey non-hater of Yoko, me either :hi:...a rarity around here. Some of his his best work was contained on Double Fantasy for sure. The only other JL albums worth owning are Imagine and Plastic Ono. By the time of Double Fantasy he was coming back strong, which makes what followed all the more tragic.

• Like 1

Mick

Mick

Mick

Hey non-hater of Yoko, me either :hi:...a rarity around here. Some of his his best work was contained on Double Fantasy for sure. The only other JL albums worth owning are Imagine and Plastic Ono. By the time of Double Fantasy he was coming back strong, which makes what followed all the more tragic.

Yea when you look at his solo stuff. Just ain't there. Then........DOUBLE FANTASY!!!!! Oh boy here he comes. Then........gone. :(

Mick

• Like 1

I do enjoy Imagine, Plastic Ono Band, and Double Fantasy but compared to Paul and George, Lennon is far behind. Though it is a bit unfair that I can count their solo careers after 1980. The stuff McCartney has put out since 2001 has been amazing, it rivals anything else he's put out since the Beatles. Harrison holds my favorite post Beatle solo album with All Things Must Pass. Then released his second best work while fighting cancer with Brainwashed.
  • Like 2

I do enjoy Imagine, Plastic Ono Band, and Double Fantasy but compared to Paul and George, Lennon is far behind. Though it is a bit unfair that I can count their solo careers after 1980. The stuff McCartney has put out since 2001 has been amazing, it rivals anything else he's put out since the Beatles. Harrison holds my favorite post Beatle solo album with All Things Must Pass. Then released his second best work while fighting cancer with Brainwashed.

I agree about McCartney. He indeed has a hit or miss solo miss career. The 2000's onward though something just clicked. Chaos and creation took the spot for my fav post Beatle work. Previously held by Plastic ono Band.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

SOAD's discography is pretty good, but I'd say it gets better as it goes really. Their later songs have more replay value for one thing (which isn't much of a value, but let's focus on the positive here...)

I noticed that Malakian wrote a bulk of Mezmerize/Hypnotize, their last album (it's a double album) and my favorite (with preference for Hypnotize)... Shortly after this double release, SOAD went on a hiatus and Tankian and Malakian went on to make solo records... Tankian's record was great, and Malakian's was catchy, but generic.

I don't know much about SOAD's recording process, and haven't looked into it much admittedly, but this fact gives me the impression that while Malakian set the foundation, concept, structure, or idea or the songs, Tankian let the songs come to a great fruition, making them full, interesting, and good.. Unlike they would have been if only Malakian was the creative force.. I'm referencing their individual works for this little theory.

• Like 1