rush to be on the colbert report???

rushfr:CP

QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Jul 17 2008, 02:05 PM)
QUOTE (Merely Space @ Jul 17 2008, 03:00 PM)
QUOTE (kbomb106 @ Jul 17 2008, 01:57 PM)
QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jul 17 2008, 02:40 PM)
Actually, come to think of it, I thought they once had a small "secret" show in a Toronto club back around the T4E days?? Can anyone confirm that?

I think what you're talking about is the time Geddy stopped in the Orbit Room and jammed to In the Mood with Alex. It wasn't an official Rush performance - just 2 guys from the band jamming to one of their songs.

http://www.musicintheabstract.org/rush-oddities/images/gedalex.jpg

Actually, I think they may be refering to a club date they did for a Molson contest. I'll have to look it up on Power Windows for more info.

Yeah that would be the one. A contest where you win tickets to go see an awesome *surprise band* in some small club....

Of *course* every douche bag that won was praying that it would turn out to be Bon Jovi or Gun 'n Roses so I heard that the crowd reaction to finding out the band was RUSH was somewhat poor.

Hmmm... That sucks that the crowd was blah. There are a number of body parts that I'd find superfluous if they'd have gotten me into that gig!

• Replies 571
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (Merely Space @ Jul 17 2008, 02:05 PM)
From the Power Windows site:

December 18th, 1996 (Molson Blind Date, The Phoenix Club, Toronto, ONT)
Intro (Thus Spoke Zarathustra)
The Big Money/Wipe Out
Driven
Half the World
Red Barchetta
Animate
Virtuality
Nobody's Hero
Closer To The Heart
Test For Echo
Subdivisions
Freewill
Roll the Bones
Resist
Leave That Thing Alone!
The Spirit of Radio
Tom Sawyer
Encore: Force Ten
YYZ
Cygnus X-1 (teaser)

trink39.gif

Yeah...that's exactly what I was referring to. The "Molson Blind Date" concert.

Man...that would be so sweet to see the 3 of them playing in such a small intimate setting!! 1022.gif

QUOTE (Merely Space @ Jul 17 2008, 03:05 PM)
From the Power Windows site:

December 18th, 1996 (Molson Blind Date, The Phoenix Club, Toronto, ONT)
Intro (Thus Spoke Zarathustra)
The Big Money/Wipe Out
Driven
Half the World
Red Barchetta
Animate
Virtuality
Nobody's Hero
Closer To The Heart
Test For Echo
Subdivisions
Freewill
Roll the Bones
Resist
Leave That Thing Alone!
The Spirit of Radio
Tom Sawyer
Encore: Force Ten
YYZ
Cygnus X-1 (teaser)

That would have been amazing!!!!!

And woah, I just realized I should get the Colbert Report on CTV, which means I can actually watch tonight's on tv, awesome.

QUOTE (rushfr:CP @ Jul 17 2008, 11:55 AM)
Look for more on tonights show, someone on RIAB who was there said there is more coming tonigh!!!

My guess is they will still be playing TS when the show starts.

Yes. That's what I thought too!

QUOTE (Yes to Yes... @ Jul 17 2008, 12:40 AM)
Hi Everyone!

I'm a brand new RUSH fan (since seeing them May 6th 2008, Nokia Center in L.A.) and I can't believe I've been missing out on them for so long! They didn't do anything other than put on a completely awesome show, and now I'm in the process of catching up on 34 years of sheer brilliance. My husband has been a fan forever, and now that I'm taking over his RUSH cds, he calls me a "biter". Let the battle begin!

The simple truth of why I like them so much is that they are talented musicians whose craft stands on its own two feet. No "brought to you by Coca-Cola..." or phoniness of any kind. The lyrics, melodies and emotion in all their music are truth and beauty in its purest form. I now understand them like I never did before - all after that one show. They did it - it's all their fault. 1022.gif

I am in love with the group because of everything they are about, which is more than lots of people can say about their favorite respective bands. "Tears" is my favorite song; to me it's so bittersweet and profound. I like Geddy in particular because of how masterful and florid he is with his bass. I'll stop there wink.gif

Just saw the Colbert Report, and couldn't be happier to see them not only perform but do a quick interview. Great to find a site to jive with other "Rushians"...

Hello and welcome, Yes To Yes!

I became a fan in much the same way you did, on July 8 2007 at the PNC Bank Arts Centre. Aren't we lucky? wink.gif biggrin.gif

This has probably been mentioned, but at least a portion of the Rush stuff is on comedycentral.com in their video section.

For anyone interested, there's to be something featuring the boys again tonight.

Quoted from RIAB: Rush will also be on tonight's show for a few seconds; not sure in what capacity as of yet, but I assume it'll be some taped clip that they'll incorporate into one of their comedy bits.

Edited to add: obviously I did not read the entire thread. Sorry about posting what's already old news. doh.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jul 17 2008, 01:05 PM)
That performance last night did tell us something -- that Rush has no problem scaling down their stage show and would be able to play small clubs. C'mon guys, let's see a club tour! biggrin.gif

I think it would be really cool to do some smaller-scale shows and have Neil scale down his drums. Of course, being an asshole gearhead of a drummer myself I can fully understand why he wants his entire kit with him biggrin.gif

I was just watching his solo from the buddy rich tribute thing on youtube earlier, and he can still f*ckin rock out, even on a 4-piece

im still glad he had the whole thing on TCR though, allowed for multiple great jokes, and that beautiful camera pan shot of his kit.

Actually, come to think of it, I thought they once had a small "secret" show in a Toronto club back around the T4E days?? Can anyone confirm that?

I think what you're talking about is the time Geddy stopped in the Orbit Room and jammed to In the Mood with Alex. It wasn't an official Rush performance - just 2 guys from the band jamming to one of their songs.

Never seen that one before.... but I love that guitar Lerxst is using!

QUOTE (Wilderness_of_Mirrors @ Jul 19 2008, 08:54 AM)
can this be the LAST thread about this?

Absolutely not! tongue.gif

Just kidding. Hopefully the dozen or so we already have will be enough.

To borrow a line from the show, maybe we need a Colbert Report thread intervention! cool.gif

QUOTE (skyswing @ Jul 19 2008, 09:59 AM)

Absolutely not! tongue.gif

Just kidding. Hopefully the dozen or so we already have will be enough.

To borrow a line from the show, maybe we need a Colbert Report thread intervention! cool.gif

I merged Alex's thread with this main one. No disrespect, Alex...

Here's the Comedy Central link to the whole show:

http://www.comedycentral.com/colbertreport...pisodeId=175837

i was hoping that 3 thread's ago

QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Jul 17 2008, 02:05 PM)
QUOTE (Merely Space @ Jul 17 2008, 03:00 PM)

Actually, I think they may be refering to a club date they did for a Molson contest. I'll have to look it up on Power Windows for more info.

Yeah that would be the one. A contest where you win tickets to go see an awesome *surprise band* in some small club....

Of *course* every douche bag that won was praying that it would turn out to be Bon Jovi or Gun 'n Roses so I heard that the crowd reaction to finding out the band was RUSH was somewhat poor.

Anyone know who the guy on the drumkit is? It so very obviously isn't the Professor.

Edited to say: I should've said "the guy on the snare and cymbals." 'Drumkit' is a little overblown for that setup.

Archived