Official Dream Theater Thread

Tick

On the topic of Space Dye Vest. I saw them on the last tour and it got a great response from the crowd. The song certainly would seem like a downer to play live but I think the fact that it had never been played before got people excited during it.

Yes, Dream Theater's covers suck. I'm actually glad Portnoy isn't in the band anymore because we don't have to worry about their shitty covers taking up time in the set when we see them now.

:laughing guy:

This has the unfortunate distinction of being the first DT related thing I exposed myself to. Needless to say it turned me off completely from the band for a good 4 years before I went and listened to their original material and the rest is history.

That show which the video was sourced from in general was a total fail. Listen to the Carpe Diem section of ACOS from that show. It's James' crowning moment of fail.

Edited by PolarizeMe

Their Rush covers really aren't bad, James's voice just lacks a little bit of needed aggression but other than that...

As for Metallica, no band can make them listenable as far as I'm concerned.

MEDIOCRTALLIA

Once Cliff Burton passed away the band was DONE.

I do like their cover of Zebra's Take Your Fingers From My Hair. And if it gets more people into Zebra, all the better!

Yeah Earl, DT's last album was pretty great. Along For The Ride is their best slowie in YEARS.

Jimmy The Cheese is looking more like a bearded lady with every passing day.

Edited by Hatchetaxe&saw
  • Like 1

I do like their cover of Zebra's Take Your Fingers From My Hair. And if it gets more people into Zebra, all the better!

Yeah Earl, DT's last album was pretty great. Along For The Ride is their best slowie in YEARS.

Jimmy The Cheese is looking more like a bearded lady with every passing day.

Hahaha! I have followed you here my friend. You said it all about "Along For The Ride." Love it.

Sadly DT just rubs me the wrong way. It's like getting a massage in some Asian sweat house and never getting the fuckking happy ending!!!!

Wet Dream Theater leaves me dry.

Yet I still like them! WTF

• Like 1

Earl, I should film my wife's reaction when I put on one of the DT DVDs at home. She frowns her face immediately, and comes up with all kinds of priceless/derrogatory comments:

-"This guy couldn't sing to save his life!!!"

-"Does he ever stay in tune for one full song?"

-"This song is AWFUL!!!" (Every time a unison comes up, which means 90% of their catalogue);

- "The only dude with a HINT of a personality and balls in this band was Mike Portnoy. All the others look like weird math teachers jerking off on their instruments" (I'm always tempted to agree on this one!!)

"Wait...they're playing the same song AGAIN?" (Not realizing it's still the same song, which goes on for half an hour).

Earl, I should film my wife's reaction when I put on one of the DT DVDs at home. She frowns her face immediately, and comes up with all kinds of priceless/derrogatory comments:

-"This guy couldn't sing to save his life!!!"

-"Does he ever stay in tune for one full song?"

-"This song is AWFUL!!!" (Every time a unison comes up, which means 90% of their catalogue);

- "The only dude with a HINT of a personality and balls in this band was Mike Portnoy. All the others look like weird math teachers jerking off on their instruments" (I'm always tempted to agree on this one!!)

"Wait...they're playing the same song AGAIN?" (Not realizing it's still the same song, which goes on for half an hour).

They busted out "The Necromancer" once in Detroit, I believe it was, and it just blew me away. They have done SOME good versions of covers. I think they did good on master of puppets in Chile, not to say it was a perfect vocal performance, but it was pretty damn kewl imho...

Is it just me, or does it bother others that this band spells their name as Dream TheatER and not Dream TheatRE?

I find I always have to correct myself when typing it.

As a brit, Dream Theatre looks wrong...

Then again I hate tea, so my Brit credentials are flimsy at best.

• Like 2

They pissed me off by not even coming to Florida for their last tour.

Huge letdown. Along with Mangini's awful snare sound on an otherwise awesome album. LOL.

Edited by Todem

Huge letdown. Along with Mangini's awful snare sound on an otherwise awesome album. LOL.

I had to travel up to Canada to see them on the last tour. I thought they would do a second leg like they did for ADTOE but they did not. I said before in this thread that it just seems like the band released the last album did a quick tour and then forgot about the album entirely. They were being booked in some bigger venues on the ADTOE tour that they weren't even gonna fill up even at the height of their popularity. Unfortunately, I think this worked against and that's why there was only one short leg for the last tour. It's too bad a lot of fans had to miss out on that tour because of the incompetent venue booking on the previous one. Not filling those larger venues up really hurt their chances of getting shows in a lot of areas. Now the tour bookers and venues just see them as a band who didn't draw well last time, so they passed on booking them again.

• Like 1

I had to travel up to Canada to see them on the last tour. I thought they would do a second leg like they did for ADTOE but they did not. I said before in this thread that it just seems like the band released the last album did a quick tour and then forgot about the album entirely. They were being booked in some bigger venues on the ADTOE tour that they weren't even gonna fill up even at the height of their popularity. Unfortunately, I think this worked against and that's why there was only one short leg for the last tour. It's too bad a lot of fans had to miss out on that tour because of the incompetent venue booking on the previous one. Not filling those larger venues up really hurt their chances of getting shows in a lot of areas. Now the tour bookers and venues just see them as a band who didn't draw well last time, so they passed on booking them again.

Well they typically play either The Pompano Beach Amphitheater or The Filmore down here. And on the ADTOE in Pompano Beach tour it was full. So I don't get why they never came down here for the last tour....huge bummer. Oh well. Any news on a new album this year?

Edited by Todem

Well they typically play either The Pompano Beach Amphitheater or The Filmore down here. And on the ADTOE in Pompano Beach tour it was full. So I don't get why they never came down here for the last tour....huge bummer. Oh well. Any news on a new album this year?

The band's currently in the studio recording a new album which shall be released in the fall.

• Like 1

The band's currently in the studio recording a new album which shall be released in the fall.

that's good news. I hope they continue the pattern. The last 2 have been awesome.

Mick

• Like 4