New Godzilla movie...

Mithrandir

I may just go see it, as it may help me to get over my Avengers withdraw symptoms.

Gotta relearn how to enjoy other films .... :P :P

Yeah, I’ll just wait until it hits HBO in a year and watch Rocket Man this weekend. I’d rather watch the British one that was on MST3K, Gorgo. Fitting, that a Sir Elton John joke is one of its riffs since it was a year after Diana’s death.

Mike: “We need to find Elton John so he can write a song about this!”

Servo: “������Goodbye England! You’ve been crushed by giant lizards!”������ :rfl:

No WAY that Elton movie will be any good!

If it is let us know!

Well, I am relieved that it’s not sugar coated hence the R rating. Sir Reg has always been a foul mouthed diva and did a lot of drugs.

You have to be on drugs if you dress up as Donald Duck. :LOL:

:LMAO:

• Like 1

Saw this.....not my choice. i have a friend who is a huge Godzilla freak. i'm not. But oh it was horrendous.

i don't know if it was down to me not being a fan or if it was that bad. but i'm banking on the latter.

stink-0

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

Saw this.....not my choice. i have a friend who is a huge Godzilla freak. i'm not. But oh it was horrendous.

i don't know if it was down to me not being a fan or if it was that bad. but i'm banking on the latter.

stink-0

Mick

Godzilla 2014 was...eek...ok. 6/10.

Kong: Skull Island was terrible. 2/10 (I feel generous today)

This looks like it has some good visuals but breathtaking visuals in great movies aren't exactly hard to come by nowadays. I doubt this is one.

There's another film in this franchise next year.

No thanks.

• Like 1

stink-0

Mick

Thanks, just saved me some dough. I'll wait for Netflix or commercial telly...
  • Like 1

I really don’t understand the expectations for a Godzilla film. Storyline? Character development? What for? :huh:

I really don’t understand the expectations for a Godzilla film. Storyline? Character development? What for? :huh:

At least it won’t have Matthew Broderick.

that's a lot of fish.

Mick

• Like 1

At least it won’t have Matthew Broderick.

Perhaps the absolute WORST casting decision ever ..... :laughing guy:

Broderick is very good in films suited for him and his boyish face and voice. Godzilla films? NO.

• Like 1

stink-0

Mick

It’s not you. My daughter thought it was stupid. When you can’t win over 12 year olds, you know you’ve got a dud on your hands.

• Like 1

stink-0

Mick

It’s not you. My daughter thought it was stupid. When you can’t win over 12 year olds, you know you’ve got a dud on your hands.

Perhaps she got her film critiquing genes from her Dad..... :D

• Like 1

Funnily, in all my years here in Japan I’ve never known any Go-jira/Godzilla fans. Sure, I can find some fans in toy shops looking at the toys and whatnot but nobody I’ve known (that’s schoolkids I’ve taught or adults) has expressed any interest in the movies, the classics or any modern versions.

Funnily, in all my years here in Japan I’ve never known any Go-jira/Godzilla fans. Sure, I can find some fans in toy shops looking at the toys and whatnot but nobody I’ve known (that’s schoolkids I’ve taught or adults) has expressed any interest in the movies, the classics or any modern versions.

That's interesting. The 2014 Godzilla movie grossed almost $30 million in Japan.

That's interesting. The 2014 Godzilla movie grossed almost $30 million in Japan.

Yeah I can’t figure it out. It’s obviously popular here and I certainly have spoken with a broad cross-section of people. It’s not like there’s any shame in liking these kinds of movies as many here enjoy somewhat similar movies like the Marvel & DC stuff, Star Wars, Avatar, and even those really dumb Transformers flicks ;) . I’ll say this though: Go-jira movies will always make money here just based on brand. Toss in a well-recognized J-actor like Ken Watanabe and it’ll sell some tickets.

Side note related to my last sentence...when Thor 1 (2011) was released, it was repeated in ads that J-actor Tadanobu Asano had a starring role. Sure, he was a supporting cast member (he played Hogun, one of the Warriors Three) but he wasn’t anywhere near the level that he was being promoted as. Even when it was released on DVD, the cover was changed from what western audiences saw. Not an unsual thing. Asano’s character’s picture was on the cover next to Thor, Odin, and Thor’s love interest. The original western cover had those three and another prominent character in the movie (Heimdall). Anyway yeah, name recognition and brand go a long way here.

stink-0

Mick

that is disappointing. Trailers looked awesome

stink-0

Mick

that is disappointing. Trailers looked awesome

Yes they did. The trailers are better than the movie. Sadly that's often the case these days,