Jump to content


Is bass guitar easier to learn then normal guitar?


  • Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#21 stoopid

stoopid

    Prime Mover

  • Members
  • 755 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Upstate, NY
  • Interests:Music, climbing

Posted 15 March 2017 - 08:00 PM

View PostJARG, on 15 March 2017 - 07:22 PM, said:

View Poststoopid, on 15 March 2017 - 02:45 PM, said:

View PostJARG, on 15 March 2017 - 02:33 PM, said:

Yes, but probably harder to master.

I think the physical layout of a 6 string electric is harder to play, simply because the strings are much closer together and pickups tend to reveal all your mistakes much easier.  Mastering a 6 string at the level proficient enough to be considered 'master' is certainly not for slouches.
Indeed not. Maybe it's because of where my interest lies, but it seems there are far more guitar masters (the phrase "a dime a dozen" comes to mind) than bass masters.

It's definitely more popular, but I was speaking purely from a mechanics point of view.  Guitar and what it takes to play it at that level IMO is more difficult due to mechanical challenges (assuming finger / hand size not being factored).

Sponsored Post

#22 Super25Smasher

Super25Smasher

    The Oracle

  • Members *
  • 10484 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:Classic Rock, Punk Rock, Alternative Rock/Grunge, Metal, Classic Video Games, Playing Bass Guitar

Posted 15 March 2017 - 09:11 PM

Being a bass player myself, I would say yes. But like almost any instrument, it's still going to be hard to master.

#23 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

    Beauty and the Bass

  • Members
  • 21779 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Phoenix, Arizona
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 16 March 2017 - 01:48 AM

Learning the basics  is probably quicker on the bass.   Learning to play well isn't easy. Developing a sense of time to be able to provide the foundation of the music takes a lot of practice and talent.

#24 Fridge

Fridge

    The Freezable Fridge™

  • Members *
  • 9846 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Aberdeenshire, Scotland
  • Interests:Being a covers band hack
    hillwalking
    Just about anything in the great outdoors

Posted 16 March 2017 - 08:40 AM

I was a bass player for many years before I switched to guitar..

I would say the rudiments of the instrument are easier to learn than the guitar, and you would be able to get into a band a good deal quicker, but remember the frets are further apart and the strings thicker, so that can be hard on your fingers.
Also, if you want to write songs, you are very limited if you just play bass (with a few noteable exceptions).

You need to also develop the knack of playing with groove and "behind" the beat, and to lock in with drums.

#25 Del_Duio

Del_Duio

    The Professor

  • Members
  • 4378 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:Computer Programming, Bass, Drums, some guitar but I suck

    --

    Try my new retro action RPG game "Just a Cleric" on Steam! http://store.steampowered.com/app/467330/

Posted 17 March 2017 - 07:55 AM

As somebody who plays both I can honestly say that (to me) guitar is a lot harder. I can't solo for shit and have to carefully plan out any that I might do well in advance.

That being said piano is much harder than either of these.

#26 Del_Duio

Del_Duio

    The Professor

  • Members
  • 4378 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:Computer Programming, Bass, Drums, some guitar but I suck

    --

    Try my new retro action RPG game "Just a Cleric" on Steam! http://store.steampowered.com/app/467330/

Posted 17 March 2017 - 08:30 AM

View PostAncient Ways, on 15 March 2017 - 01:14 PM, said:

A little surprised at the answers so far.  It's a ton easier to learn bass than guitar.  Chords are very rarely used and 2 less strings.

I use chords all the time for bass, I think lots of us do.
Les Claypool taught me how chords can sound really cool.

#27 Del_Duio

Del_Duio

    The Professor

  • Members
  • 4378 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:Computer Programming, Bass, Drums, some guitar but I suck

    --

    Try my new retro action RPG game "Just a Cleric" on Steam! http://store.steampowered.com/app/467330/

Posted 17 March 2017 - 10:45 AM

View PostEagleMoon, on 16 March 2017 - 01:48 AM, said:

Learning the basics  is probably quicker on the bass.   Learning to play well isn't easy. Developing a sense of time to be able to provide the foundation of the music takes a lot of practice and talent.

Oh Eagle, WOO has time for time??

#28 Ancient Ways

Ancient Ways

    That's It™ Sig

  • Members
  • 15996 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:iEarth
  • Interests:Hanging out with my kids, riding my bike, playing guitar.

Posted 17 March 2017 - 10:50 AM

View PostDel_Duio, on 17 March 2017 - 08:30 AM, said:

View PostAncient Ways, on 15 March 2017 - 01:14 PM, said:

A little surprised at the answers so far.  It's a ton easier to learn bass than guitar.  Chords are very rarely used and 2 less strings.

I use chords all the time for bass, I think lots of us do.
Les Claypool taught me how chords can sound really cool.
My point is valid.  Of the thousands of songs you've heard how many have featured the bass playing chords?

#29 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

    Beauty and the Bass

  • Members
  • 21779 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Phoenix, Arizona
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 17 March 2017 - 01:25 PM

View PostAncient Ways, on 17 March 2017 - 10:50 AM, said:

View PostDel_Duio, on 17 March 2017 - 08:30 AM, said:

View PostAncient Ways, on 15 March 2017 - 01:14 PM, said:

A little surprised at the answers so far.  It's a ton easier to learn bass than guitar.  Chords are very rarely used and 2 less strings.

I use chords all the time for bass, I think lots of us do.
Les Claypool taught me how chords can sound really cool.
My point is valid.  Of the thousands of songs you've heard how many have featured the bass playing chords?

You would be surprised. Lots of bass players use chords to fill out the music or to make a particular part sound extra big. Geddy has done it all along.

Edited by EagleMoon, 17 March 2017 - 01:25 PM.


#30 Geddy Jazz

Geddy Jazz

    The Seeker

  • Members
  • 208 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Mexico
  • Interests:Rush

Posted 17 March 2017 - 04:59 PM

Bass Players always on demand...never unemployed.... ;)

Edited by Geddy Jazz, 17 March 2017 - 04:59 PM.


#31 Ancient Ways

Ancient Ways

    That's It™ Sig

  • Members
  • 15996 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:iEarth
  • Interests:Hanging out with my kids, riding my bike, playing guitar.

Posted 17 March 2017 - 06:34 PM

View PostEagleMoon, on 17 March 2017 - 01:25 PM, said:

View PostAncient Ways, on 17 March 2017 - 10:50 AM, said:

View PostDel_Duio, on 17 March 2017 - 08:30 AM, said:

View PostAncient Ways, on 15 March 2017 - 01:14 PM, said:

A little surprised at the answers so far.  It's a ton easier to learn bass than guitar.  Chords are very rarely used and 2 less strings.

I use chords all the time for bass, I think lots of us do.
Les Claypool taught me how chords can sound really cool.
My point is valid.  Of the thousands of songs you've heard how many have featured the bass playing chords?

You would be surprised. Lots of bass players use chords to fill out the music or to make a particular part sound extra big. Geddy has done it all along.
Few well known songs have a lot of bass chords, cmon.  I play the bass as well as guitar although I prefer guitar.  There's no shame in admitting it's mainly a one note at a time instrument,

#32 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

    Beauty and the Bass

  • Members
  • 21779 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Phoenix, Arizona
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 17 March 2017 - 10:08 PM

View PostAncient Ways, on 17 March 2017 - 06:34 PM, said:

View PostEagleMoon, on 17 March 2017 - 01:25 PM, said:

View PostAncient Ways, on 17 March 2017 - 10:50 AM, said:

View PostDel_Duio, on 17 March 2017 - 08:30 AM, said:

View PostAncient Ways, on 15 March 2017 - 01:14 PM, said:

A little surprised at the answers so far.  It's a ton easier to learn bass than guitar.  Chords are very rarely used and 2 less strings.

I use chords all the time for bass, I think lots of us do.
Les Claypool taught me how chords can sound really cool.
My point is valid.  Of the thousands of songs you've heard how many have featured the bass playing chords?

You would be surprised. Lots of bass players use chords to fill out the music or to make a particular part sound extra big. Geddy has done it all along.
Few well known songs have a lot of bass chords, cmon.  I play the bass as well as guitar although I prefer guitar.  There's no shame in admitting it's mainly a one note at a time instrument,

Nobody said there was. Chords are nothing special.  Maybe it's the type of music you play or something but I've used them a lot in the 40+ years I've been playing. It's just another tool in the arsenal.

#33 thirteen

thirteen

    Prime Mover

  • Members
  • 851 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Australia
  • Interests:Guitar.
    AC/DC, Rush, Seasick Steve, SRV, Rainbow/Deep Purple.

Posted 18 March 2017 - 06:17 AM

I would call myself a moderately decent guitar player, but I can't play bass for sh*t lol.

#34 stoopid

stoopid

    Prime Mover

  • Members
  • 755 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Upstate, NY
  • Interests:Music, climbing

Posted 18 March 2017 - 08:38 AM

View PostEagleMoon, on 17 March 2017 - 10:08 PM, said:

View PostAncient Ways, on 17 March 2017 - 06:34 PM, said:

View PostEagleMoon, on 17 March 2017 - 01:25 PM, said:

View PostAncient Ways, on 17 March 2017 - 10:50 AM, said:

View PostDel_Duio, on 17 March 2017 - 08:30 AM, said:

View PostAncient Ways, on 15 March 2017 - 01:14 PM, said:

A little surprised at the answers so far.  It's a ton easier to learn bass than guitar.  Chords are very rarely used and 2 less strings.

I use chords all the time for bass, I think lots of us do.
Les Claypool taught me how chords can sound really cool.
My point is valid.  Of the thousands of songs you've heard how many have featured the bass playing chords?

You would be surprised. Lots of bass players use chords to fill out the music or to make a particular part sound extra big. Geddy has done it all along.
Few well known songs have a lot of bass chords, cmon.  I play the bass as well as guitar although I prefer guitar.  There's no shame in admitting it's mainly a one note at a time instrument,

Nobody said there was. Chords are nothing special.  Maybe it's the type of music you play or something but I've used them a lot in the 40+ years I've been playing. It's just another tool in the arsenal.

Prog and alt might use some bass chords, but even then it's only on occasion.  Popular music is one note a time.  The average listener can barely handle that!  lol

#35 JARG

JARG

    Pinky Moe

  • Members *
  • 18929 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Just east of Lyra, northwest of Pegasus...
  • Interests:Cycling, guitar playing

Posted 18 March 2017 - 11:07 AM

View Postthirteen, on 18 March 2017 - 06:17 AM, said:

I would call myself a moderately decent guitar player, but I can't play bass for sh*t lol.

+1

#36 stoopid

stoopid

    Prime Mover

  • Members
  • 755 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Upstate, NY
  • Interests:Music, climbing

Posted 18 March 2017 - 12:57 PM

View PostJARG, on 18 March 2017 - 11:07 AM, said:

View Postthirteen, on 18 March 2017 - 06:17 AM, said:

I would call myself a moderately decent guitar player, but I can't play bass for sh*t lol.

+1

I'll trade my sense of rhythm for your finger coordination anyday.

Edited by stoopid, 18 March 2017 - 06:31 PM.


#37 JARG

JARG

    Pinky Moe

  • Members *
  • 18929 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Just east of Lyra, northwest of Pegasus...
  • Interests:Cycling, guitar playing

Posted 19 March 2017 - 09:59 PM

View Poststoopid, on 18 March 2017 - 12:57 PM, said:

View PostJARG, on 18 March 2017 - 11:07 AM, said:

View Postthirteen, on 18 March 2017 - 06:17 AM, said:

I would call myself a moderately decent guitar player, but I can't play bass for sh*t lol.

+1

I'll trade my sense of rhythm for your finger coordination anyday.

Your appraisal of my skill is waaaaaaay too high...but muchly appreciated.

Edited by JARG, 20 March 2017 - 09:00 AM.


#38 Steve Smith

Steve Smith

    Rushaholic

  • Members
  • 1683 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:38 AM

Well here is my dime and nickel for what it is worth. I am a lead guitar player

The bass guitar is much easier to learn if you wish to be 3 note plonk plonk

But it is an entirely different technique to play to a high standard, and takes a long time to get good.

To play the bass well you have to have a good understanding of rhythm and groove and be able to interact with the drummer following the bass drum and working off that.

That's it really

#39 Steve Smith

Steve Smith

    Rushaholic

  • Members
  • 1683 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:45 AM

View PostEagleMoon, on 16 March 2017 - 01:48 AM, said:

Learning the basics  is probably quicker on the bass.   Learning to play well isn't easy. Developing a sense of time to be able to provide the foundation of the music takes a lot of practice and talent.

You really nailed it there sweet Eagle XXXXX

#40 Steve Smith

Steve Smith

    Rushaholic

  • Members
  • 1683 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:48 AM

View PostEagleMoon, on 16 March 2017 - 01:48 AM, said:

Learning the basics  is probably quicker on the bass.   Learning to play well isn't easy. Developing a sense of time to be able to provide the foundation of the music takes a lot of practice and talent.

Its funny but when I hear a girl talk like this with a lot of knowledge about music it makes her more attractive!!! ha ha sorry Eagle




1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users