Is bass guitar easier to learn then normal guitar?

YYZumbi

Most bass players I know could not care less about chops. They like the groove and the ability to lock in with the drummer.

As a guitarist, this type of bass player is great to play/jam with.

It can be difficult to jam with a bass player that is too 'busy'.

That's one of the things that makes bass more difficult to learn than it appears. Knowing what to play, and when.

Eagle you are so right.

One of my best friends John is a very in demand player around the North East band circuit these days. We played together from when we were 18 years old in about 1984 (god that was so long ago). One of the things that drew us together at the start was our love for all musical genres when our friends and peers and the Newcastle scene in the 80's was primarily about Metal and Rock. John can play all of the fast technical stuff but he is primarily a "groove" player as he started off on the drums.

I hope you don't mind me sending a link to one of the many bands he works with these days to show you

He is the big baldy guy that looks like "Uncle Fester", when we met at 18 John was 11 stone and had a flock of long blonde hair!!! ha ha

Hope you like.

That is John playing in a "groove"

Here is another different track to show more of his technical ability with a different band

Still keeps a good groove though

Steve

That's nice. I like it. :)

How can we help Segue, Eagle?

He was so desperate and down when I first came here but lately he has got so much better and more happy but in the last few days he seems to be struggling again.

Not really much we can do apart from offering advice and support I suppose :finbar: :finbar:

I do not think there is anyone here on this forum that has not been through awful stuff in their life. But I suppose oldies like me can just try to help from the experiences we have been through. I am a desperately lonely person since my GF and I split up but I have come to terms with it and have my mum and have saved enough over the years not to have to work.

Anyway sorry to bore you Eagle

Steve

What are you talking about? You're still a young whippersnapper. :LOL:

Thing is Eagle it is all relative you know.

My mum is 70 and she still looks great. Not an old lady, a very stylish woman that looks and dresses like a classy 40 year old.

I am a short arse by modern standards 5 foot 9 but I am still 3 inches taller than Tom Cruise.

I am 51 but still 2 years younger than Jon Bon Jovi

I am ugly but Brad Pitt..... oh hang on that's not going to work.

Put it this way, Kim Catrall is about 60 and she is still SMOKING HOT!!!!!

60 is the new 40 you know? We are all living longer and looking better.

Stevie

In general I agree with you. Better nutrition and health care has extended people's lives and made them better but I think most of Hollywood is kept going by Botox and facelifts.

I have always had a thing about how I have one normal ear and one that sticks out. It is always something that I always said I would get it pinned back. But the way I see things is that I would not get it done until I got myself really fit and healthy through good fitness exercise and good diet. I am not in favour of any stuff like that. I just say train and be healthy and eat well and live well.

So many famous people live such an unhealthy life and still go under the knife, urgh!! no that is just horrible.

I have a great big bulbous nose but I have grown to love it. It kinda defines my face XXX

You know ? Cameron Diaz has the most ugly nose I have ever seen on a girl that has been broken more than once but she is still gorgeous and does not give a shit! She never had stuff done, that is why she is sweet and cool and lovely.

They say beauty comes from within and yes that is true but it is more about the persona and how you relate to others.

I hope my silly rambling makes some sort of sense to you Eagle XXX :drool: :drool: :finbar: :finbar: ;) ;) ;)

There are so many people now in this "cult of celebrity" we have who are very physically attractive but completely devoid of any outward charisma or empathy or attractiveness.

Personally I find intelligence and thoughtfulness a very attractive trait ;) ;) ;) :P :P :P

• Like 1

From a nuts and bolts perspective, I think bass is way easier. Fewer strings, thicker strings, wider spacing, and (usually) one finger on one string on one fret at a time - rarely playing CHORDS. I couldn't adjust to guitar, with its close-together strings and all that chording. (Three fingers on three strings on three frets? Yikes!)

But bass has its own challenges. To play WELL, you really need to understand rhythm like a drummer does, and theory like the players of melody instruments do. Imagine bass as having a portable drum kit around your neck and being expected to play NOTES on it, to create something that gets asses moving. It's about learning rhythm, and that can be as challenging as learning melody.

• Like 2