Bands You're Obsessing Over Right Now

I'm really enjoying Taylor Swifts new version of 1989, and I'm alternating it with my usual listens: Fleetwood Mac, Pearl Jam and In Flames (in particular their nineties era)

Gordon Lightfoot.

Dan Fogelberg

I said in the albums thread that as far as singer/songwriters go i don't know if i'd put dan over the likes of Lightfoot or Jim Croce or even Carole King  but there's a special something that draws me to him.

As far as lightfoot.  From like 1967-1978 he had a run of aalbums few match.  he may be my fav Singer/songwriter.

Mick

• Like 1

Well, I am playing A LOT of Dream Theater.

I love them, even though I truly can't stand some of their albums, I find myself coming back to them and each and every time I find something new to appreciate.

The Mangini era as it turns out it was really cemented my interest in them. I particularly love the self titled and the last two albums, but Awake remains my number one album by them.

But seriously, as someone who used to find them infuriating as much as fascinating, there is no denying I love them now.

• Like 2

I've been massively enjoying Dream Theater, which lead me to Savatage again today.

As much as I love DT, I am a bigger fan of Savatage. I'd love to see a collaboration between the musicians of both bands.

Threshold

I remember i tried this band likes at least 5 years years ago and didn't like them AT ALL.

Segue contacted me a few days ago and made me listen  to March of Progress and Legends of the shire.  Two VERY different albums and boom game changer.

I figured why i dindn't like them first time.  i played Extinct Instinct.  I've played it Again and yea if thre;s one time i can say they've made a legit bad one (and i've heard em all a lot over just 3 or 4 days, lol)  it's that one.

and they've juggled only 3 singers.

Damian Wilson

Andrew Mcdermott

Glynn Morgan

and in the 3 eras.  they actually become a different band.  With Wilson their like a Dio/Queen/Genesis-y hybrid.  Mcdermott's got a melodic Joseph Williams era Toto Vibe.  and Morgan's is like AOR/John whetton ASIA flavor.

and it's amazing to me all have a niche and great albums.

i'm impressed.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

The Joy Formidable

A Welsh three-piece. First got hooked by "Whirring" and then got last year's Into the Blue. Good stuff! They recently released a new single that has a radio edit and the original 15-minute version!

19 hours ago, bluefox4000 said:

Threshold

I remember i tried this band likes at least 5 years years ago and didn't like them AT ALL.

Segue contacted me a few days ago and made me listen  to March of Progress and Legends of the shire.  Two VERY different albums and boom game changer.

I figured why i dindn't like them first time.  i played Extinct Instinct.  I've played it Again and yea if thre;s one time i can say they've made a legit bad one (and i've heard em all a lot over just 3 or 4 days, lol)  it's that one.

and they've juggled only 3 singers.

Damian Wilson

Andrew Mcdermott

Glynn Morgan

and in the 3 eras.  they actually become a different band.  With Wilson their like a Dio/Queen/Genesis-y hybrid.  Mcdermott's got a melodic Joseph Williams era Toto Vibe.  and Morgan's is like AOR/John whetton ASIA flavor.

and it's amazing to me all have a niche and great albums.

i'm impressed.

Mick

If we have learned anything from speaking to each other for over a decade now, never write anything off, one of us is bound to find something to sway the other 🤣

• Like 1

Dream Theater and now Rush.

I also have been enjoying Threshold, and played a lot of songs by Priest (odd as I'm normally an album person).

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

Segue's METAL:ROCK:

and i'm over here....John denver, lol

It's ok i'm happy in my bubble.

Mick

Sorta, had fun with In Flames and Paradise Lost but I'm still dipping into Lightfoot, Fleetwood Mac, Springsteen and Fogelberg!

Oddly I find great music of any genre can fit in my routine if they share a mood. For me, I'm all about hooks atm

• Like 2

nobody really,

Closest is Taylor Swift's 1989 album.

which i've seen the light on and is rapidly becoming a fav thanks to the re-record.  this may be her most sucessful re-record with me.

most have not worked at all for me.

Mick

• Like 1

On 11/20/2023 at 6:21 PM, bluefox4000 said:

nobody really,

Closest is Taylor Swift's 1989 album.

which i've seen the light on and is rapidly becoming a fav thanks to the re-record.  this may be her most sucessful re-record with me.

most have not worked at all for me.

Mick

I've just discovered Midnight Oil's brilliance. So, for today, I see me diving in. Two great albums so far, I'm hooked!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

I've just discovered Midnight Oil's brilliance. So, for today, I see me diving in. Two great albums so far, I'm hooked!

Try something like Diesel and Dust, Blue Sky Mining or Capricornia next, after dipping into Red Sails and 10 to 1.

Pearl Jam

According to my Spotify stats, they are my most played band this year. Makes sense!

• Like 3

Still Pearl Jam. This year I think I've played them more than I ever have in my near two decades of being a fan. What's best is I have co.e to appreciate many albums I previously overlooked. I did not dislike them, I just never gave them the attention they deserve. 

• Like 2

Old School Funk bands like

Sly &And the Family stone

Parliment

Funkadelic

CHIC (more Disco leaning but man Nile Rogers guitar work is Awesome)

Tower of Power

Funny i hate Jam/groove type bands but when any of these bands do it and lock in tight.  it's just hypnotic

Mick

• Like 2