Why IKEA?

Lost In Xanadu

WI is getting their first IKEA in Oak Creek, just south of Milwaukee.

People are freaking out, literally screaming with excitement. WHY? What is it about IKEA? I bought one thing there, it was complete crap and I never went back.

If it's just for the jobs that are coming to the area, I can see being excited about that... but that's about it.

• Like 2

I remember some controversy about 10 years ago...

Some ancient tombs were destroyed in the construction of a new IKEA store in China. The archaeologists asked for construction to be halted for a few days so that some artifacts (whatever they might have been) could be retrieved. Well yeah, construction continued as scheduled...because I guess people need their ready-to-assemble shit more than historical relics.

• Like 2

My first wife LOVED IKEA. I had to assemble all that s***. Hope you like drinking and cussing.
  • Like 4

My first wife LOVED IKEA. I had to assemble all that s***. Hope you like drinking and cussing.

Should've had her assemble that crap!!! She wanted it!!

That might have been fun to watch. She took all that crap with her when she left. No IKEA for me since. I buy vintage stuff.

• Like 1

IKEA... down the street from me.

Cheap crappy furniture you put together yourself. No thanks.

Now we have a Jordan's furniture as well.

Largest indoor ropes coarse, a zipline, colorfull waterfalls that dance to pop music, gourmet food.

oh...and you can even buy a couch. :sarcastic:

• Like 1

When I hear IKEA, I think of that episode of 30 Rock where Liz Lemon and her boyfriend go shopping there for a dining room table and they end up arguing and breaking up because of it.

That's the only time i've ever heard of IKEA. I had no clue what it was before that episode and i'm pretty sure I haven't heard anything about it since. There's never been a store in my area.

• Like 2

When I hear IKEA, I think of that episode of 30 Rock where Liz Lemon and her boyfriend go shopping there for a dining room table and they end up arguing and breaking up because of it.

That's the only time i've ever heard of IKEA. I had no clue what it was before that episode and i'm pretty sure I haven't heard anything about it since. There's never been a store in my area.

I put IKEA in the same ballpark as Starbucks coffee: trendy, overrated, & cost isn't equivalent to the quality...yet it's still popular as hell

• Like 3

Sweedish meatballs, Mashed Potatoes and lingon berry sauce with Lingon berry juice... Thats why :yes:

My sister loves their Swedish meatballs as well. :hail: Don't have one near us, but have visited a few and the non-furniture stuff we bought is actually very good- coffee mugs, knives and forks, pillows, picture frames, etc. Plus it's fun to laugh at all of the weird fake Swedish names for everything! :D

• Like 1

I put IKEA in the same ballpark as Starbucks coffee: trendy, overrated, & cost isn't equivalent to the quality...yet it's still popular as hell

Not with me. Its worthless.

• Like 1

Not with me. Its worthless.

Not with me either.

• Like 1

Ikea is cheap and therefor its good for people that moving to their first own home. Here in Sweden there is no home whitout Ikea stuff.

I buy alot of furniture at garage sales and flea markets. I never see Ikea stuff there...because it's already in the dumpster.
  • Like 2

I buy alot of furniture at garage sales and flea markets. I never see Ikea stuff there...because it's already in the dumpster.

Yes, I love the vintage pieces; I figure if they lasted through someone else's home they will last through ours, lol.

• Like 1

People love the place. I bought my tv stand there because for the price and selection they're pretty good. They have some great sales.

I recently tore apart the master bedroom closet and installed the ikea closet/drawer combos. They are very well made, easy to assemble and install and allowed me to get rid of several large pieces of furniture.
  • Like 1

I recently tore apart the master bedroom closet and installed the ikea closet/drawer combos. They are very well made, easy to assemble and install and allowed me to get rid of several large pieces of furniture.

hush you! you're ruining our mocking!
  • Like 3

There are IKEAs in this area and I am happy to have never been to any. Cheap, low-quality furniture, huge crowds to park, lines in the store, it's not worth it to me. I prefer quality furniture that will last to trendy stuff with cutesy names.
  • Like 3

WHY? What is it about IKEA?

Because Wisconsin desperately needs a competitor for Ashley Furniture in Arcadia..... :P :P

There are IKEAs in this area and I am happy to have never been to any. Cheap, low-quality furniture, huge crowds to park, lines in the store, it's not worth it to me. I prefer quality furniture that will last to trendy stuff with cutesy names.

Obviously you haven't been to one.