Why IKEA?

Lost In Xanadu

There are IKEAs in this area and I am happy to have never been to any. Cheap, low-quality furniture, huge crowds to park, lines in the store, it's not worth it to me. I prefer quality furniture that will last to trendy stuff with cutesy names.

Obviously you haven't been to one.

I'm happy with the kitchen stuff I have bought. Those bookshelves are crap though. I've had some luck but anything I have had to put together usually ends up breaking when trying to put together. At least they have the sense not to have words in their instruction sheets.

I'd rather go somewhere else, once you get in it takes forever to get out. Its like an endless maze with directions in Swedish. Ok, we get it. Its like listening to ABBA or driving a Volvo.

;)

Edited by Digital Dad
  • Like 1

Spit bitchin' toilet refuse furniture.....but I live next door to Ann Arbor, MI and with the Main campus of the U of M there, it's a pretty trendy, multicultural World here. STILL never been to ANY IKEA. "Pier 1 Imports" is the store around here since I was a kid in the '60s...Good stuff too. My bedside table is a wood rod and Iron affair that I LOVE! Edited by OldRUSHfan

I don't care if anyone loves ikea or not but it's clear that many here have not been to ikea and have no personal experience with their products and are basing their opinion on what they've heard. It's fascinating, really.
  • Like 1

I don't care if anyone loves ikea or not but it's clear that many here have not been to ikea and have no personal experience with their products and are basing their opinion on what they've heard. It's fascinating, really.

Yeah, I can understand that.

I can only speak about the ones I've been to in Portland, OR and here in Osaka. They're busy but not too crazy for me. The material (and I'm only talking about furniture) does seem a bit cheap to me. Mind you, it's nowhere in the Wal-Mart zone but I never could find any furniture I wanted AND that I thought would last. And though it's not TOO expensive, I don't think it's worth what they sell for.

I can only speak about the ones I've been to in Portland, OR and here in Osaka. They're busy but not too crazy for me. The material (and I'm only talking about furniture) does seem a bit cheap to me. Mind you, it's nowhere in the Wal-Mart zone but I never could find any furniture I wanted AND that I thought would last. And though it's not TOO expensive, I don't think it's worth what they sell for.

I have a outdoor deck chair and table set that has been outside for years and looks still looks brand new.

I have a outdoor deck chair and table set that has been outside for years and looks still looks brand new.

Then I'm surprised and that's cool.

There are IKEAs in this area and I am happy to have never been to any. Cheap, low-quality furniture, huge crowds to park, lines in the store, it's not worth it to me. I prefer quality furniture that will last to trendy stuff with cutesy names.

What do you mean by that?

• Like 1

Just what I said. Not all that is true.

Never bought anything from IKEA in my life. My family is German, not Swedish.

Whykea? It isn't necessarily "cheap" but some of it is. It's mostly inexpensive, and the stuff we have has been pretty durable. It depends on what you're getting too. We have some flatware that is great. It has a nice heft to it and was very reasonably priced for the place settings we chose. We also have a kitchen table and 4 matching chairs that are light in weight but are stable. They don't get a lot of use and have held up well.

I get a larf when I read about people having a fit trying to put stuff together. Those are probably the same type of person who wouldn't know how to change a flat tire or maybe even check their oil. Sucks to be them.

• Like 1

Well, the furniture is cheap (inexpensive). Generally, furniture you have to assemble is lower-quality than craftsman-type furniture. Friends who shop there tell me IKEA stores here get very crowded and the parking lots are horrible. Even though I haven't been inside one of these stores I know all these things are true.

Well, the furniture is cheap (inexpensive). Generally, furniture you have to assemble is lower-quality than craftsman-type furniture. Friends who shop there tell me IKEA stores here get very crowded and the parking lots are horrible. Even though I haven't been inside one of these stores I know all these things are true.

I'm so happy you're so smart. ;)

:yes: Their stuff is decent quality for the price. Much better than the particle board shit you would buy at Wal-Mart or Target.
  • Like 1

If you want to buy a piece of furniture that doesn't cost an arm or a leg, there is nothing wrong with IKEA.
  • Like 1

IKEA haters consider:

If you think about visiting don't go on a weekend. Even their CEO hates it on the weekends.

Go in the evening during the week around 5.

Honestly compare it to a place like rooms to go. The quality is at least as good if not better IMO. Their bookcases are freaking awesome.

Kitchens. I re-did my kitchen last year down to the 2x4s. I did tear out and re did drywall. I called over 20 cabinet companies. Most never returned calls. 2 did estimates but left something to be desired in quality, expertise, and other departments. I should mention that due to my kitchen design the install is very difficult. On one wall I had a 120 and 135 degree angle. I visited ikea. Very professional. Sent out a design pro to assist with the issues. Measured everything with lasers and a computer while the other 2 used a tape measure. They sent installers that did a fantastic job and did a great job working around my obtuse walls. Are they solid wood? No. I prefer that though. They are lighter. The doors cover the entire cabinet unlike the "real" wood ones. In the unlikely event of a water spill my cabinets will not be ruined since they are raised about 3 inches.