The Steven Wilson Thread

In 2007, around the time "Fear of a Blank Planet" was released he stated in an audio interview that his musical DNA is made up of 4 bands: Pink Floyd, King Crimson, RUSH, and Tangerine Dream.

But is he *really* a fan. :P

His remastering of the 2 Gentle Giant albums( Octopus, The Power and the Glory) are nothing short of sensational. Jethro Tull( Aqualung) as well.

Mind you the original recordings of the GG pair were terrible.

Saw him live last night. Sounded good. He needs new stuff. People are starving for it. Get the PT band back together. Gavin is a monster player.

Gavin Harrison is currently the center kit in the revitalized King Crimson. The plate is full for at least the next few years. I'm sure that is the gig of a lifetime for him and he played with SW for 15 years. Sadly, I don't think we will get a PT reunion for a while.

• Like 1

Saw him live last night. Sounded good. He needs new stuff. People are starving for it. Get the PT band back together. Gavin is a monster player.

Gavin Harrison is currently the center kit in the revitalized King Crimson. The plate is full for at least the next few years. I'm sure that is the gig of a lifetime for him and he played with SW for 15 years. Sadly, I don't think we will get a PT reunion for a while.

But a new King Crimson album with Gavin on drums?

I'm not complaining.

• Like 1

But a new King Crimson album with Gavin on drums?

I'm not complaining.

This will be incredible! :o

• Like 1

that Raven album is something special. Since I first heard that album years ago it was an instant wow of an album. He played the Raven that refuses to cough up the goods song as his last song last Saturday night. It just leaves you with a amazing feeling. Great tune. Sleep together was also played as the last song of the set. Two balls ass songs live!!! Can't wait to hear the new blackfield album next year. Anything he's on it's a good spin
  • Like 3

Sleep together was also played as the last song of the set. Two balls ass songs live!!!

Not sure why the original album version wasn't as flat-out rocking as the live performances. He added a more aggressive guitar to the live PT performances and has carried that into his solo live cover as well. Always liked the song, but the live version kills.

• Like 1

I want to hear Gavin play drums with a rock/metalish band again.
  • Like 1

This Sunday!!!!! So excited for both Steven and Wes (who is opening).
  • Like 3

This Sunday!!!!! So excited for both Steven and Wes (who is opening).

Me too, but on Thursday.

• Like 1

It's not that they were against it, but in the past he preferred to do it all himself.

Now that he has a viable outlet, it would be interesting to hear a 'band' written PT album.

I agree with this. And given John Wesley's past two albums, I'm quite certain that he could contribute nicely here as well, in addition to Richard and Colin.

It's not that they were against it, but in the past he preferred to do it all himself.

Now that he has a viable outlet, it would be interesting to hear a 'band' written PT album.

I agree with this. And given John Wesley's past two albums, I'm quite certain that he could contribute nicely here as well, in addition to Richard and Colin.

Unfortunately John was never formally made a band member, just a second touring guitarist. I'd be all for him BEING a member, just don't see it happening. The technicalities of band management and splitting royalties almost preclude adding another member.

Edited by stoopid

Whew - the shows were awesome (I did Orlando and St. Pete "Tampa" shows) - although I am still nearly crippled today due to having to stand for more than 5 hours each night... (one hour in line to get in, another 45 minutes with John Wesley, and then Steven's band played for more than 3 hours.... both shows ended well after 1 am and having been on my feet since 7 or so, I was not alone in being physically toast!) John Wesley was great - although solo (it was not economical for him to hire and support a full band for this mini tour!) He played mostly from his new album - including backing tracks from some of the songs. He also did a couple older songs. IMO, he sounded great - playing and singing. SW's show was absolute perfection. The band was incredibly tight, yet having fun and clowning around (which led to a few errors, but all in good energy). I was quite pleased with Craig Blundell's progression with the band (I had seen him last year on the tour and felt he was still pretty tight and green with the band; now, he is owning it!) In St. Pete, SW made fun of the Orlando crowd several times (calling us lame, shit crowd "we could hear our footsteps coming on for the encore" and "applause didn't outlast the last guitar note...") and I can understand his impression - although people were cheering and having fun, the sound just did not carry in the venue. However, Orlando had MUCH better lighting than St. Pete (the old State Theater has shitty 70's era cans with nothing else mounted above) - which IMO greatly enhanced the show in Orlando. The St Pete venue also did not allow them to use the front-of-stage curtain on which they projected various video during "Sleep Together",etc. This was a very cool effect (had seen on previous tours) but could not be used in St. Pete. The sound was also better in Orlando - just a wider frequency range and punchier drums in Otown (all seemed muted in St. Pete). Steven was very talkative at both shows - offering his take on why modern music is sucking so bad (too much time between albums, nobody wants to take risks and try many different angles) paying homage to Prince (his idol) and Bowie (whom he called the two greatest artists of the 80's and 70's respectively). Musically, he did change the setlist up between shows, and I have to say, I preferred Orlando (Orlando got Dark Matter, Lazarus, and Raven that Refused to Sing; St Pete got No Twilight, Insurgentes, and Space Oddity. cool for different sets, but I missed the two PT songs and Raven, which SW introduced as his favorite song he's written.) St Pete crowd did have more enthusiasm, and the sound carried more in that shitty old venue, BUT this came at the price of a few too many obnoxious people - talking through quiet parts, lot less courteous, pushing, wedging in front of your view, etc.) With the lights, setlist, sound, and mellower crowd, I preferred Orlando. I could have met SW again this time around (he did in-store signing in Orlando, and was at the Dali Museum before St. Pete), but I just had too much going on personally to get there (had met him a couple times prior too). I did see Adam Holtzman finishing up dinner at a Greek restaurant before the St. Pete show (said hello). I was maybe a bit surprised that Steven didn't have Wes out to play Lazarus with them, or something, but it's clear that he wants to put distance between his solo career and any inkling of a PT reunion. At one point in St Pete he said something about Insurgentes (his first solo work) came out at the same time as "the last PT album" - that could be taken differently, but the way he emphasized "the last" was telling. His tour farewell note today (on FB), he says he's going back to write his next solo disc.
  • Like 4