The Steven Wilson Thread

I just listened to Yes----Tales from Topographic Oceans.He did a fantastic job on this classic. Can,t say enough about how good it sounds!!!!

In parts it sounds like a completely different album.

Yes it does, that blew me away.

This is my all time favourite prog album.

I haven't heard this remix yet and now you have me actually full on mega excited!

I have the SW remix and it is fantastic!

• Like 2

Blackfield V doesn't top I and II but it makes the (IMO) okay at best Welcome To My DNA and EP except in name IV almost non-existent. It's a really great album, I'd describe it as a more older and wiser I and II. If I had to rank the Blackfield discography right now it'd look like this:

Blackfield II

Blackfield I

Blackfield V

Welcome To My DNA

Blackfield IV

• Like 1

Blackfield V doesn't top I and II but it makes the (IMO) okay at best Welcome To My DNA and EP except in name IV almost non-existent. It's a really great album, I'd describe it as a more older and wiser I and II. If I had to rank the Blackfield discography right now it'd look like this:

Blackfield II

Blackfield I

Blackfield V

Welcome To My DNA

Blackfield IV

That is my impression so far, too. An upgrade over the last two, especially the sucky 4th album, but not as great as the first two. Still many listens forthcoming...

• Like 1

Blackfield II

Blackfield I

Blackfield V

Welcome To My DNA

Blackfield IV

That is my impression so far, too. An upgrade over the last two, especially the sucky 4th album, but not as great as the first two. Still many listens forthcoming...

I would also rank the albums in this order.

I find Blackfield V patchy. I like Family Man, How Was You Ride, Lately, October and From 44 to 48. Most of the other tracks are ok(ish) but Undercover Heart is dreadful and sounds like it belongs in The Eurovision Song Contest.

I haven't heard a Blackfield song yet that has me rushing out to buy their material. I *should* like it though, based on my other interests. "44 to 48" was okayish, but again I'm not buying the album as a result of it or the other track I've heard. Edited by stoopid
  • Like 1

I haven't heard a Blackfield song yet that has me rushing out to buy their material. I *should* like it though, based on my other interests. "44 to 48" was okayish, but again I'm not buying the album as a result of it or the other track I've heard.

I'm totally in the same boat. As much of a SW fan-boi that I am, you'd think I'd have all of them. I have none. I've "sampled" them online, they just don't hit the spot.

I haven't heard a Blackfield song yet that has me rushing out to buy their material. I *should* like it though, based on my other interests. "44 to 48" was okayish, but again I'm not buying the album as a result of it or the other track I've heard.

I'm totally in the same boat. As much of a SW fan-boi that I am, you'd think I'd have all of them. I have none. I've "sampled" them online, they just don't hit the spot.

Ironically, the only Blackfield albums I own are my least favorite albums Welcome To My DNA and IV and I also have the Live in NYC live CD/DVD which I really like. Got WTMDNA cause I pre-ordered it at the time of its release and didn't even have a clue as far as quality goes. And IV because I saw SW's last ever (for now at least) Blackfield show and I got the album cause the tees (which were mediocre honestly) all sold out and I wasn't going to put in any effort in sampling the album nor listening to it if I didn't buy it then and there.

Same here. It surprises me that I can't get into Blackfield because normally if it's SW I am in.

• Like 1

I gave Blackfield V another listen a few days ago and while I stand by my opinion that I think it's great, I think it's only great in comparison to Welcome To My DNA and IV. I and II were consistent in quality and enjoyability for me. Everything up to "Sorrys" I really like (yes, that includes "We'll Never Be Apart") but then I found the album to dip down and up in quality afterwards and never seems to stay consistent for the remainder of the album. I highly doubt I'll give it a healthy dose of plays for the remainder of the year. Edited by PolarizeMe

I love the talk he gave at shows prior to playing Routine. I related so much the first time I heard this it brought me to tears. Happy tears. ;) Edited by stoopid