20 Albums That Best Represent Classic Rock?

The Cat 3

The riff in Hells Bells is really the only thing close to metal on Back In Black.

Why do you say that?

Because it's the only riff on the album that has a metal feel to it. Metal has a certain sound and playing style and that's not really anywhere to be found on BIB or For Those About To Rock. Just because a band plays loud doesn't make them metal. You wouldn't call The Who metal just because they were once the loudest live band of all time. ACDC just plays rock that's a little louder than most but it doesn't mean they're metal.

I never understood the AC/DC is metal opinion. Blues based hard rock. No more, no less.

• Like 2

The riff in Hells Bells is really the only thing close to metal on Back In Black.

Why do you say that?

Because it's the only riff on the album that has a metal feel to it. Metal has a certain sound and playing style and that's not really anywhere to be found on BIB or For Those About To Rock. Just because a band plays loud doesn't make them metal. You wouldn't call The Who metal just because they were once the loudest live band of all time. ACDC just plays rock that's a little louder than most but it doesn't mean they're metal.

I didn't say it was the volume. For me it is the feel. I think with Brian Johnson AC/DC is a metal band. Give me an example of who you'd say IS a metal band.

A lot of great selections and not to duplicate albums already mentioned, I'd like to insert the following.

Traffic - Low Spark of High Heeled Boys

The Who - Live at Leeds

Crosby Stills & Nash - Crosby Stills & Nash

Blind Faith - Blind Faith

• Like 5

A lot of great selections and not to duplicate albums already mentioned, I'd like to insert the following.

The Who - Live at Leeds

Absolutely!

I tried to stick to all studio albums, but the Allmans at Fillmore East, I couldn't resist.

Good calls on the others as well...I love that Traffic album (my favourite of theirs is John Barleycorn Must Die, even though it doesn't represent a defining classic rock moment quite as well).

I can understand how AC/DC might be considered classic rock, but I wouldn't put them, or any of their albums, in the classic rock category

Same goes for Guns N Roses and Appetite For Destruction with me - definitely a different niche than classic rock

Edited by Lucas

I can understand how AC/DC might be considered classic rock, but I wouldn't put them, or any of their albums, in the classic rock category

Same goes for Guns N Roses and Appetite For Destruction with me - definitely a different niche than classic rock

Classic rock basically runs from the late 1960s to the late 1980s. I would definitely categorize AC/DC, specifically Highway to Hell and Back in Black, as Classic rock. The songs are a staple on Classic rock radio. And I think Appetite for Destruction slips in because of its massive popularity. Classic rock is a popular consensus genre. And these albums have been played to death, prime Classic rock eligibility.

The Who - Live at Leeds

Absolutely!

I tried to stick to all studio albums, but the Allmans at Fillmore East, I couldn't resist.

Good calls on the others as well...I love that Traffic album (my favourite of theirs is John Barleycorn Must Die, even though it doesn't represent a defining classic rock moment quite as well).

I agree but the are notes, jams, screams, solos, etc on live albums that you can't find on the studio versions of the songs.

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w276/custom55/IMG_0391.jpg

• Like 2

Alot of common albums listed so far. I guess thats to be expected and in a way kind of brings home the purpose of trying to define the classic rock sound.

Either way its been fun reading the lists and a good thread

• Like 2

The Who - Live at Leeds

Absolutely!

I agree but the are notes, jams, screams, solos, etc on live albums that you can't find on the studio versions of the songs.

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w276/custom55/IMG_0391.jpg

I almost put Live at Leeds on my list but we only got 20 choices. :)

• Like 1

IV - Led Zep

Machine Head - Deep Purple

Moving Pictures - Rush

Sabotage - Black Sabbath

Van Halen - Van Halen

Selling England By The Pound - Genesis

Going For The One -Yes

Piledriver - AC/DC

Are You Experienced - Hendrix

Who's Next - The Who

Boston - Boston

Jailbreak - Thin Lizzy

Obsession - UFO

Bat Out Of Hell - Meatloaf

Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd

Rumours - Fleetwood Mac

News Of The World - Queen

Leftoverture - Kansas

Pieces Of Eight - Styx

Long Live Rock and Roll - Rainbow

Piledriver? Never heard of that. Edited by goose

I don't really recognise the term "classic rock". Either a band has a genre or it doesn't, you can't make one up decades later just to suit radio stations. For instance Black Sabbath are hard rock or heavy metal, that's their genre that's it. Ozzy Osbourne doesn't describe himself as a classic rocker, Tony Iommi doesn't say "well we're working on our new classic rock album and then we're going on tour to bring our classic rock material to the classic rockers" does he? The term classic rock is for fools who allow shit-eating cock-knocking DJ's to control their thought processes for them!
  • Like 2

The Who - Live at Leeds

Absolutely!

Oh, I totally agree with that- I'm as big a proponent of live music as you'll find.

All a matter of perception and subjective judgment, as to what things make our lists versus those that don't. (After all, Frampton Comes Alive is most likely Peter Frampton's defining album when it comes to the 'classic' in classic rock- I think most people would say so, anyway).

For the record, I consider Live at Leeds to be the second best live rock album ever made- right behind At Fillmore East. :)

I don't really recognise the term "classic rock". Either a band has a genre or it doesn't, you can't make one up decades later just to suit radio stations. For instance Black Sabbath are hard rock or heavy metal, that's their genre that's it. Ozzy Osbourne doesn't describe himself as a classic rocker, Tony Iommi doesn't say "well we're working on our new classic rock album and then we're going on tour to bring our classic rock material to the classic rockers" does he? The term classic rock is for fools who allow shit-eating cock-knocking DJ's to control their thought processes for them!

Classic rock isn't a genre though. It's a label put on rock bands who released music in the 60s and 70s for the most part. It's just a way for the radio to label things.

Classic rock isn't a genre though. It's a label put on rock bands who released music in the 60s and 70s for the most part. It's just a way for the radio to label things.

Agreed.

Because a lot of my favourite albums of the seventies aren't known very well, and very few would say they were "classics".

Trillion

Starcastle

Channel

I don't care, i don't recognize it, period.

Classic

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/photopost/data/3231/01425.JPG

New Wave

http://images1.americanlisted.com/nlarge/2004_ford_mustang_gt_28244809.jpg

:D

Wouldn't New Wave be more like:

http://i0.wp.com/www.mustang.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/1979_Mustang.jpg

• Like 4

Then why did you respond to this thread? :huh: :haz: :notworthy:

I wanted to let you know ReRushed. You personally. And that I have i can rest. :hail:

• Like 1

I wanted to let you know ReRushed. You personally. And that I have i can rest. :hail:

Thanks. You really seem to care. About what, I have no idea.

• Like 1

Thanks. You really seem to care. About what, I have no idea.

You and your music. :givebeer:

Classic

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/photopost/data/3231/01425.JPG

New Wave

http://images1.americanlisted.com/nlarge/2004_ford_mustang_gt_28244809.jpg

If those are "Classic" and "NuWave", then what the heck is THIS ??

Maybe "Van De Graaff Generator" ?!?!

http://s.images.boldride.com/saab/1976/saab-95-1306197339-321.jpg

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 1

20 random top of my head album selections, trying to keep it to one per artist if possible. Really not in order. Love all the mentions of Queen btw.

1. Queen - A Night At The Opera

2. David Bowie - The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars (honestly, this plays like a sonic template for the entirety of rock and roll, not just of the time period, but for all time, I can hear every decade in there)

3. Rush - Moving Pictures (only my 2.5 fav Rush album, but easily the most essential to classic rock cannon)

4. The Rolling Stones - Let It Bleed

5. Van Halen - Van Halen

6. Boston - Boston

7. The Beatles - Abbey Road or Sgt. Pepper's, I can't decide

8. Yes - Fragile

9. Bruce Springsteen - Born To Run

10. AC/DC - Back In Black

11. Aerosmith - Toys In The Attic

12. U2 - The Joshua Tree

13. The Cars - The Cars

14. Led Zeppelin - _________

15. The Who - Who's Next (going on faith for this one, still haven't heard past the three hits)

16. The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Are You Experienced? (Same as above, though I've heard many more songs from it)

17. Pink Floyd - Dark Side of The Moon (...or The Wall)

18. Black Sabbath - Paranoid

19. Kansas - Point of Know Return

20. KISS - Alive

• Like 2

But you understand the concept even if you don't like it and the thread title even makes it easy for you.

I cannot accept that you believed "classic rock" is being passed off as a genre of music, that would be so stupid...