20 Albums That Best Represent Classic Rock?

The Cat 3

I agree with Keith Richards regarding Their Satanic Majesties Request.

Its appraisal by some is postmodernism defined. Personally, I have no problem if someone considers it their favorite Stones album, but I think it's silly to argue it's the best Stones album or as objectively good as the Beggars Banquet to Exile on Main St. run. It's the Stones' sell-out moment, lightweight product by a band better off grounding their music in blues roots. I can't wrap my head around someone claiming the least sounding Stones album is among the best Stones albums. That was Keith's argument for calling Sgt. Pepper's rubbish.

Classic rock is defined by populism and consensus. Their Satanic Majesties Request better represents the Stones on cult album lists or overrated/underrated lists.

Its appraisal by some is postmodernism defined. Personally, I have no problem if someone considers it their favorite Stones album, but I think it's silly to argue it's the best Stones album or as objectively good as the Beggars Banquet to Exile on Main St. run. It's the Stones' sell-out moment, lightweight product by a band better off grounding their music in blues roots. I can't wrap my head around someone claiming the least sounding Stones album is among the best Stones albums. That was Keith's argument for calling Sgt. Pepper's rubbish.

Classic rock is defined by populism and consensus. Their Satanic Majesties Request better represents the Stones on cult album lists or overrated/underrated lists.

You don't seem to be very good at ever wrapping your head around the idea someone might like something more what is suggested the norm.

But no biggie!

I am not a massive stones fan anyway.

• Like 1

You don't seem to be very good at ever wrapping your head around the idea someone might like something more what is suggested the norm.

But no biggie!

Oh, you don't know me very well. And your response to some of my posts suggest you don't read them very carefully.

But no biggie!

Oh, you don't know me very well. And your response to some of my posts suggest you don't read them very carefully.

Dude, you post so many interesting things...but you did tell me the other day that whether I like it or not, I should regard a certain album as a classic because it was that popular.

So I asked you to pay more attention to Bon Jovi as they remain megastar attractions whether you like it or not, and it fell on deaf ears.

I like to preach with a more open mind.

But no biggie!

Dude, you post so many interesting things...but you did tell me the other day that whether I like it or not, I should regard a certain album as a classic because it was that popular.

So I asked you to pay more attention to Bon Jovi as they remain megastar attractions whether you like it or not, and it fell on deaf ears.

That's my point. I never argued that you should consider Born in the U.S.A. a classic because it was popular and sold millions of copies. Far from it. It's an album that captured a specific time and attitude. It's an album that represented a specific growth in Springsteen's career. It's essential to the culture in the 1980s. Album sales have nothing to do with my argument.

And part of my argument of why Bon Jovi sucks is because he rode the coattails of what Springsteen accomplished, both artistically and commercially, with Born in the U.S.A. Bon Jovi is, at best, an artisan and, at worst, a hack.

Edited by ReRushed
  • Like 1

But no biggie!

That's my point. I never argued that you should consider Born in the U.S.A. a classic because it was popular and sold millions of copies. Far from it. It's an album that captured a specific time and attitude. It's an album that represented a specific growth in Springsteen's career. It's essential to the culture in the 1980s. Album sales have nothing to do with my argument.

Oh my days this is proof I need to find a cure for insomnia.

This has ben happening a lot lately haha

SORRY

But no biggie!

SORRY

Why apologize? We're just debating and arguing and discussing music.

And I added an opinion on Bon Jovi you might have missed!

• Like 1

But no biggie!

SORRY

Why apologize? We're just debating and arguing and discussing music.

And I added an opinion on Bon Jovi you might have missed!

I am currently such a fanboy I probably couldn't see it haha

Toys in the Attic - Aerosmith

Foghat - Foghat Live

At Budokan - Cheap Trick

Frampton Comes Alive - Peter Frampton

Are You Experienced – The Jimi Hendrix Experience

Bad Company – Bad Company

Abbey Road – The Beatles

Let It Bleed – The Rolling Stones

Boston – Boston

Van Halen - Van Halen

Dark Side of the Moon – Pink Floyd

Led Zeppelin IV – Led Zeppelin

Machine Head – Deep Purple

Paranoid – Black Sabbath

Pronounced ‘Leh-‘nerd-‘Skin-‘nerd – Lynyrd Skynyrd

Who’s Next – The Who

Rumors - Fleetwood Mac

News of the World - Queen

4 - Foreigner

Rising - Rainbow

These aren't necessarily my favorite albums by these bands, nor are they necessarily albums I personally like.

• Like 3

I've tried to post my list 3 times now and my cell phone kept wiping it out. Now I'm on the computer so if I lose it then someone is trying to tell me something. :LOL:

Here's my list. Just ones I think of when I think "classic" classic rock. Not all favorites of mine either, but ones I think have been deemed worthy of the title "classic" and ones I have personally owned.

The Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers

Boston - Boston

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon

Pink Floyd - The Wall

Rush - 2112

Rush - Moving Pictures

Meat Loaf - Bat Out of Hell

CCR - Chronicle Vol. 1 (official release so it counts lol)

Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin IV

The Who - Who's Next

The Who - Quadrophenia

Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road

Van Halen - Van Halen

The Beatles - Abbey Road

Paul McCartney and Wings - Band on the Run

Fleetwood Mac - Rumours

Jimi Hendrix - Are You Experienced

AC/DC - Back In Black

Peter Frampton - Frampton Comes Alive

Kansas - Leftoverture

Edited by EagleMoon
  • Like 3

I've tried to post my list 3 times now and my cell phone kept wiping it out. Now I'm on the computer so if I lose it then someone is trying to tell me something. :LOL:

Here's my list. Just ones I think of when I think "classic" classic rock. Not all favorites of mine either, but ones I think have been deemed worthy of the title "classic" and ones I have personally owned.

Boston - Boston

Pink Floyd - The Wall

Rush - 2112

Rush - Moving Pictures

The Who - Who's Next

The Who - Quadrophenia

Van Halen - Van Halen

The Beatles - Abbey Road

Fleetwood Mac - Rumours

AC/DC - Back In Black

Kansas - Leftoverture

I contemplated including Back in Black. That's more "metal" IMO, but maybe Rising is too.

Boston - Boston

Pink Floyd - The Wall

Rush - 2112

Rush - Moving Pictures

The Who - Who's Next

The Who - Quadrophenia

Van Halen - Van Halen

The Beatles - Abbey Road

Fleetwood Mac - Rumours

AC/DC - Back In Black

Kansas - Leftoverture

I contemplated including Back in Black. That's more "metal" IMO, but maybe Rising is too.

I don't consider anything AC/DC has done as metal. Seems like just straight ahead basic rock to me.

• Like 1

You hear the term "Classic Rock" tossed about all the time.

But what does it really mean?

The question here is, in your opinion, what would you say are 20 albums that best define what "Classic Rock" is.

It is harder than you think to narrow it down to 20, unbiased selections.

This is a great topic RGLT

You sir are definitely on the TRF Mt Rushmore !

• Like 2

His Satanic Majesty's Request

Picking this over Beggar's Banquet, Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers and Exile On Main St? Very interesting. I like the album a lot too but it's not the Rolling Stones album I would put on the list. Mainly because the album wasn't them musically.

Maybe that's the appeal?

That's why I like the album myself. But I don't think it's the album from them that best represents classic rock.

Does that mean we have to run our list by you first?

Nope.

Don't understand how you got that out of what I was saying? Just trying to get a little discussion going.

I understand what you mean; I'm right there with you. That's the reason why I didn't pick Black and Blue, even though I love it. Sticky Fingers and Let it Bleed fit the criteria much better, in my opinion.

But Lorraine also said those choices were her opinion. No fault; no right nor wrong. It's all good.

Completely agree !!!

Black And Blue is my favorite Stones album

• Like 1

Putting this together was fun .. But I am leaving off a lot of albums that had first come to mind ie Jimi's Are You Experienced, Queen's Night At The Opera, Steely Dan's Aja, etc

I see those albums - and bands for that matter - distanced from the "classic rock" tag as they lean one way or another in a more specific bend .. KISS and Rush being in that group too, as they carved out a more distinct niche ..

I also limited my picks to one album per band or performer ..

ok, here's mine, not really in any particular order:

1) Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers

2) Bob Seger And The Silver Bullitt Band - Stranger In Town

3) Allman Brothers Band - Idlewild South

4) Boston - Boston

5) Meat Loaf - Bat Out OF Hell

6) Heart - Dreamboat Annie

7) Beatles - Let It Be

8) ZZ Top - Eliminator

9) Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon

10) Wings - Band On The Run

11) Eric Clapton - Slowhand

12) Creedence Clearwater Revival - Green River

13) Rod Stewart - Every Picture Tells A Story

14) Eagles - Hotel California

15) The Who - Who's Next

16) Bruce Springsteen And The E Street Band - Born To Run

17) Foghat - Fool For The City

18) Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road

19) Billy Joel - The Stanger

20) Led Zep - IV

• Like 4

Picking this over Beggar's Banquet, Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers and Exile On Main St? Very interesting. I like the album a lot too but it's not the Rolling Stones album I would put on the list. Mainly because the album wasn't them musically.

Maybe that's the appeal?

That's why I like the album myself. But I don't think it's the album from them that best represents classic rock.

Nope.

Don't understand how you got that out of what I was saying? Just trying to get a little discussion going.

I understand what you mean; I'm right there with you. That's the reason why I didn't pick Black and Blue, even though I love it. Sticky Fingers and Let it Bleed fit the criteria much better, in my opinion.

But Lorraine also said those choices were her opinion. No fault; no right nor wrong. It's all good.

Completely agree !!!

I vividly remember when they performed Memory Motel, on the Voodoo Lounge tour- that was the highlight of the show, for me.

I still have yet to visit the place that song was written about, out in Montauk. I will get there, sometime.

• Like 1

Maybe that's the appeal?

Nope.

Completely agree !!!

I vividly remember when they performed Memory Motel, on the Voodoo Lounge tour- that was the highlight of the show, for me.

I still have yet to visit the place that song was written about, out in Montauk. I will get there, sometime.

I've seen them play Memory Motel three times. Twice on the Voodoo Lounge tour and the other on Bridges To Babylon.

Not a song they've done too often, so I guess I lucked out when they played it during the 90s. I'm not sure if they ever did it live before 1994 or not? I found it kind of funny that each time I saw it, the crowd cheered wildly when Keith sang his part.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 2

Boston - Boston

Pink Floyd - The Wall

Rush - 2112

Rush - Moving Pictures

The Who - Who's Next

The Who - Quadrophenia

Van Halen - Van Halen

The Beatles - Abbey Road

Fleetwood Mac - Rumours

AC/DC - Back In Black

Kansas - Leftoverture

I don't consider anything AC/DC has done as metal. Seems like just straight ahead basic rock to me.

Fans of the Cookie Monster singing about killing his mother while everyone in the band plays as fast as possible would agree. :)

To me, Back in Black and For Those About to Rock are metal, though.

• Like 1

IV - Led Zep

Machine Head - Deep Purple

Moving Pictures - Rush

Sabotage - Black Sabbath

Van Halen - Van Halen

Selling England By The Pound - Genesis

Going For The One -Yes

Piledriver - AC/DC

Are You Experienced - Hendrix

Who's Next - The Who

Boston - Boston

Jailbreak - Thin Lizzy

Obsession - UFO

Bat Out Of Hell - Meatloaf

Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd

Rumours - Fleetwood Mac

News Of The World - Queen

Leftoverture - Kansas

Pieces Of Eight - Styx

Long Live Rock and Roll - Rainbow

Edited by Tony R
  • Like 2

IV - Led Zep

Machine Head - Deep Purple

Moving Pictures - Rush

Sabotage - Black Sabbath

Van Halen - Van Halen

Selling England By The Pound - Genesis

Going For The One -Yes

Piledriver - AC/DC

Are You Experienced - Hendrix

Who's Next - The Who

Boston - Boston

Jailbreak - Thin Lizzy

Obsession - UFO

Bat Out Of Hell - Meatloaf

Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd

Rumours - Fleetwood Mac

News Of The World - Queen

Leftoverture - Kansas

Pieces Of Eight - Styx

Long Live Rock and Roll - Rainbow

I should have put UFO - Lights Out on mine.

• Like 1

The riff in Hells Bells is really the only thing close to metal on Back In Black.

Why do you say that?

Because it's the only riff on the album that has a metal feel to it. Metal has a certain sound and playing style and that's not really anywhere to be found on BIB or For Those About To Rock. Just because a band plays loud doesn't make them metal. You wouldn't call The Who metal just because they were once the loudest live band of all time. ACDC just plays rock that's a little louder than most but it doesn't mean they're metal.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 1