what songs scared you as a kid?

barry123

In 1976 my older brother used to blast "2112" all the time. I was scared of the beginning outer-space sound effect from Overture, and Geddy's shrieking on "Temples of Syrinx", and also the ending scream from Cygnus X-1.

Then there's this repeated sort of half-assed fire truck siren sound effect from Michael Jackson's "Heartbreak Hotel", when he sings "We walked up the stairs still concealin' gloom There were two girls sittin' in my room...". More scary than a post-op Michael Jackson.

Then there's the unexplained industrial sound effect at the beginning of Paul McCartney's "Silly Love Songs", this is something my step brother would play and then tell me that this was an old man in chains escaped from the looney bin and headed my way (stupid, I know, but give me a break, I was only 28!). Now that I'm older and wiser, I recognize that the sound was simply furniture movers with a lot of change in their pockets, scooting couches around on a hard floor.

And of course, Robert Plant's yelling at the beginning of "Immigrant Song", sounding like somebody very angry was galloping toward you.

• Like 1

A song I remember scaring me was the Rockafeller Skank by Fatboy Slim, where it goes really high in pitch in the middle of the song.

X-files theme too.

I can't think of any right now that scared me, but Donna Summer's "Love To Love You Baby" gave me some of my earliest boners, and I wasn't even sure why

Ya know what dude, I have an Ipod with about 3500 songs on it. Full of Metal, prog, industrial, punk, then there's THIS fuggin song. I just still love it to this day. It appealed to me as a little kid in the 70s and now it's still damn sexy
  • Like 2

As a little kid I was always scared of These Boots are Made for Walking - Nancy Sinatra, particularly the part 'are going' to walk all over you'. I thought some huge boots were going to come marching out of the radio. Great track though.
  • Like 1