Loudness war or Embracing metal?

fraroc

When most music critics and audiophiles talk about Vapor Trails and Clockwork Angels (not so much Snakes and Arrows), they always throw out the words "loudness war" and say that Rush is trying to play their music as ear-splittingly loud as possible for whatever reason.

My theory is that for those two (or three if you count SnA) albums, Rush was simply experimenting and beginning to embrace heavy metal and that they were going through another genre shift as they've done many times before. Think about it...

In 1975 when Neil joined, they went from hard rock to progressive rock.

In 1980 they went from straight progressive rock to a more progressive variant of arena rock.

In 1982, they went from arena rock to new wave.

In 1990, they went from new wave to power pop/AOR,

In 1994 they went from power pop to 1990s hard rock/grunge

and from 2002-onward, they went to progressive heavy metal.

That's why I think the production on those two albums were made to be as heavy as possible. They experimented with metal and were satisfied with the result.

• Like 2

I think they and the producers/engineers just followed the crowd and pushed the sliders way up. Everybody else is doing it so why don't we? As I understand it, the original reason for someone doing that was to make their song a bit louder so it would stand out when played on the radio. What I don't think that idiot understood, is that radio stations normalize the volume for every song they play no matter how "hot" it was recorded.

Why is it so hard for people to do their own thing these days?

• Like 2

As a big metal fan, it's the loudness wars. Yes, Rush has sounded more metal at times on the last three albums but the sound has more to do with modern day production than it does about them going metal.

Plenty of bands sound metal without the kind of production VT has. It's the loudness wars and nothing more.

• Like 3

As a big metal fan, it's the loudness wars. Yes, Rush has sounded more metal at times on the last three albums but the sound has more to do with modern day production than it does about them going metal.

Plenty of bands sound metal without the kind of production VT has. It's the loudness wars and nothing more.

Rick Ruin is f***in it up for all of us.

I think they and the producers/engineers just followed the crowd and pushed the sliders way up. Everybody else is doing it so why don't we? As I understand it, the original reason for someone doing that was to make their song a bit louder so it would stand out when played on the radio. What I don't think that idiot understood, is that radio stations normalize the volume for every song they play no matter how "hot" it was recorded.

Why is it so hard for people to do their own thing these days?

I think the reason they still do it now has more to do with I pads and mp3 players than radio play. I run every song I put on my mp3 player through an audio editor to "normalize" the volume as you say. It's annoying when you get a modern song blasting in your ear followed by a Fleetwood Mac 70's song or something that is totally quiet.

• Like 2

It's always hilarious when people confuse loudness/brickwalling with heaviness or even metal. Take away CA's brickwalling and thousand layers, then it would sound wimpy compared to Hemispheres or 2112, but at least it would sound better then.
  • Like 4

This is pretty much my opinion also. I can also name 10 metal albums (both modern day and in the past) from the top of my head that have better production than VT and/or CA.

Take away CA's brickwalling and thousand layers, then it would sound wimpy compared to Hemispheres or 2112.

This.

Actually what I've noticed with a lot of well-produced metal music is how dynamic and rich it is. It's not necessary for the effectiveness of the genre, nor is it a simple inevitability of recording heavy metal music.

The "loudness" of CA and VT (and subsequently, its relative monotony and, to my ears, quietness) is the fault of Rush.

• Like 1

I have heard lots of current albums where you can hear all of the instruments and it's very clear and yet it's very heavy music. Symphony X and Spocks Beard immediately come to mind. Their albums are always immaculately produced. Why can't Rush find someone to produce their albums like that? To me the last decently recorded album of theirs was TFE. Snakes isn't bad, but it suffers from all of the layering and is still mixed too loud.
  • Like 3

How about calling it "mid life crisis"

See, see, we can still rock, we're not that old

Counterparts is the Rush midlife crisis. Modern-era Rush is the point where your grandfather starts saying racist shit cause he doesn't care about what people think anymore.

I'm only kidding. I enjoy those albums.

• Like 3

Has anyone here heard the vinyl mix of CA??

Yes. I have it. I does sound better. Not as good as it could I believe but there is more definition. I find it much easier to listen to at a loud volume with headphones. I use an amp and open headphones which helps open up the sound stage.

Edited by catherine
  • Like 2

Modern-era Rush is the point where your grandfather starts saying racist shit cause he doesn't care about what people think anymore.

I see you read Neil's last blog entry

• Like 1

Not to derail the discussion of Permanent Waves, but the "loudness" of Vapor Trails evokes the emotional state of the band's drummer at the time...and to a lesser extent, Ged and Alex. It's a painful listen...but intentionally so. Edited by goose

Counterparts is the Rush midlife crisis. Modern-era Rush is the point where your grandfather starts saying racist shit cause he doesn't care about what people think anymore.

:LOL:

I like you.

• Like 1

:LOL:

I like you.

• Like 2