Band of the week

djflex

I'll join. And I've never heard a full Leppard album. Where should I start?

Pyromania.

I'm not sure how much you would like them after their first three albums though. They get very mainstream sounding from Hysteria to now.

That I know. They came to Rio when Slang came out, and there were less than 200 people to see them.

Wow, they must not be too popular there. Ever since they late 80s they regularly fill arenas and amphitheaters around here. They still draw great crowds and tour North America often.

Wow is right. 200 or less. They were close to sold out at our local out door last year

They were supposed to come to the very first Rock in Rio in 1985, but cancelled due to Rick Allen´s car accident. This festival was the first exposure most of us had to heavy music, with great shows by Queen, Maiden, Ozzy, AC/DC, Scorpions, Yes, and Whitesnake, who took over from Def Leppard. They had some success over here when Hysteria came out, but not so much outside the rock fans´ community.

• Like 1

Woohoo! I am starting from the first On through the Night and work my way forward. I have had much love for this band since they broke in my late teens. I almost had a chance to go to the Hysteria tour when they came to Nashville but it fell through.

Congrats ReGor on the Ramones marathon! I am gonna do the same with my Def Leppard collection but they were not quite as prolific. :notworthy:

Edited by catherine
  • Like 2

Oh yeah they had some doosies. Have you gone back and watched them now as an adult? I thought they were pretty cool at the time but some are pretty cringe worthy by their own admission. It is good to be able to laugh at yourself. :laughing guy:

I knew somebody would go seek some out. I was too lazy. ;)

Some of the most embarrassing ones were from Pyromania IIRC. I may have to cruise Youtube myself.

Another good one. If they would just let the band play it would be fine. It's all the "interludes" that are so goofy.

http://youtu.be/jACrmwTsi08

Edited by catherine
  • Like 2

I just want to say as a kid in the 80s who divided my free time between playing nintendo and watching MTV, Def Leppard was my favorite band back then. Pretty much all the way up through Adrenalize they were. So, you don't have to ask me twice to give them a listen.
  • Like 1

I have listened to On Through the Night, High 'n' Dry, and Pyromania since this began. The latter two are indeed kick ass! I really love Switch 625 on High 'n' Dry. I am hard pressed to pick one from Pyromania but if I could only pick one I would have to go with Comin' Under Fire. I just love that intro and the drums sound great. Then again I have always loved Photograph. It's an awesome album, hands down. Edited by catherine
  • Like 2

I don't like Def Leppard.

I try and I try but they are one of the worst pop metal bands of the eighties. Dokken, Ratt, Bon Jovi...even Iron Maiden are much better at this radio friendly rock/metal sound.

I really don't connect with them.

I look forward to next week!

Edited by Segue Myles

I don't like Def Leppard.

I try and I try but they are one of the worst pop metal bands of the eighties. Dokken, Ratt, Bon Jovi...even Iron Maiden are much better at this radio friendly rock/metal sound.

I really don't connect with them.

I look forward to next week!

Aw. I think they can be hit and miss but for me, at the very least, they're good for fun background music that doesn't demand a lot of mental investment.

• Like 1

Is there a list of who gets to pick for each subsequent week?

No not really. Im not so good at administration

If someone wants to assume control im ok with that

I think seque wanted kansas next week , but thats all i know so far.

I listened to Songs From Sparkle Lounge yesterday. Not their weakest effort, but not their best. My favorites are Bad Actress, Love, C'mon C'mon, and Nine Lives (though i'm not a Tim McGraw fan).
  • Like 1

I listened to Hysteria and Adrenalize today. What I noticed most today was how in your face the drum is in the mix on Hysteria. Now personally I like that sound. The guitars are very upfront too but the bass is hard to pick out most of the time. Pyromania is like that too but I think it's even more noticeable on Hysteria. Adrenalize is more of a meh album for me. It's good but not one I go to very often. Not sure why really.
  • Like 2

Listened to def leppard - def leppard today

Cant remember what i thought of it last time i heard it, but i enjoyed it today. The metal elitist snob in me wants to not like these guys, but they are just a good funtime band lol

• Like 2

I enjoy each Def Leppard album more than the previous. Listening to Slang right now and really digging it.

I'd literally not heard anything else from them except for a few cheesy radio hits. Regardless of whether or not they stay a part of my regular listening catalog, I've gained a higher appreciation for them.

Also, since I've gotten in the habit of misspelling the name of each of my playlists, this week's is called Deaf Leopard.

• Like 2