Band of the week

djflex

One last comment on metallica, if lars wasnt such a douchebag, so many people wouldnt hate them lol. That and their run of crappy releases...

Loathe Megadeth...I'll return next week.

Well i hope someone doesnt pick metallica then next week lol..

Would be a crappy pick for sure

Oops misread this post my bad.

Look forward to seeing you next week

• Like 1

Why do you loathe them?

Mustaine's vocals, mostly.

I get that. But aren't you the one who listens to Rush specifically for the music and is magically able to tune out Geddy's voice? You could try to do the same thing with Megadeth as well.

Why do you loathe them?

Mustaine's vocals, mostly.

I get that. But aren't you the one who listens to Rush specifically for the music and is magically able to tune out Geddy's voice? You could try to do the same thing with Megadeth as well.

Lyrics, not vocals. There's the fine line there. I listen to vocals as an instrument rather than a method of relaying text.

I get what you're saying but I dislike Megadeth for much the same reason many dislike Rush; the sound of the vocalist.

• Like 1

Today I listened to Rust and Countdown. CTE is pretty good, tailes off near the end, but I still give it an 8/10 overall. Foreclosure of a Dream is amazing.

But every track on RIP is amazing. After the fury and controlled mayhem on offer there, the only thing they could do was slow things down. Youth shows diminishing returns but is still a uniformly solid album.

• Like 1

man, weird thread. it's hard for me to even imagine someone into heavy music who hasn't heard peace sells and rust in peace. classics.

and yes, megadeth is clearly better than metallica unless your criteria is album sales. aside from being better players which really doesn't actually matter, mustaine is just a more consistent riff writer. he didn't become a millionaire at 30 like the metallica guys so he never really lost his edge. he's found god, but he's still a bitter, angry m***********, but hey, that's what keeps your spark going in the metal business. not that every megadeth record is great, far from it, their past several have all been pretty so-so aside from endgame, but still better than all the metallica post-justice.

Yeah, I still don't think Mustaine has ever truly let go of being fired from Metallica and it drives him to feel he has something to prove with every new release. Mustaine is just a naturally pissed off guy and that has never gone away. Even when Megadeth went to writing more straightforward metal songs, that anger always remained.

I would give Metallica the edge in the 80s. It's tough to beat those first four albums. But from 1990 onward, it's all Megadeth. Risk and Supercollider were bad albums and Thirteen was half good half whatever but for the most part they have been one of the most consistently good metal bands around when it comes to releasing quality new material over the last 25 years.

Mustaine will never lose that chip on his shoulder and the need to feel he's always got something to prove and I for one love that.

Edited by J2112YYZ

Today was hidden treasures

This release is mostly stuff that came from various singles he did for movie soundtracks. A couple of covers on here as well. Also, the version i listened to today had a few bonus tracks of demo and edit. Nothing really outstanding here imo, although i always liked angry again and 99 ways to die. I can say its been ages since i listened to this and will be ages before i listen again.

Hidden Treasures is worth a listen for Angry Again, Go To Hell and 99 Ways To Die. All three songs were worthy of being on actual albums.

It may be just me but i never seem to like when megadeth does covers. Not sure why

I wrap up the week with dystopia

Overall, after one listen it seems pretty good. They def worked to try and get back to there roots it seems. One thing is daves vocals sounds a little different. Not sure how to describe, just different. Too early yet for an overall review but a good first listen.

Overall, after one listen it seems pretty good. They def worked to try and get back to there roots it seems. One thing is daves vocals sounds a little different. Not sure how to describe, just different. Too early yet for an overall review but a good first listen.

Dave's voice is just suffering from being a little older and worn out a bit, that's all it is.

Dave's voice is just suffering from being a little older and worn out a bit, that's all it is.

He pretty much tours relentlessly so that makes sense...

So that pretty much wraps up the week for me. I may throw in RIP tomorrow , but most likely will just throw new one into heavy rotation.

Anyone wish to pick next weeks band?

Looks like I won't be participating next week lol.

I have zero interest in listening to anything from them.

Well, cone back after that and pick one out man

I am not a superfan of the night ranger so there are probably several i can find i may have never heard

• Like 1

I am not a superfan of the night ranger so there are probably several i can find i may have never heard

I'd recommend Dawn Patrol, Midnight Madness, 7 Wishes, Somewhere In California, and High Road.

• Like 1

I'd recommend Dawn Patrol, Midnight Madness, 7 Wishes, Somewhere In California, and High Road.

DP and MM i know quite well may have heard Sic but will try , thanks

• Like 1

As picked by super25smasher next weeks band is Night Ranger.

To remind of general guidelines . Try to listen to one album a day of your choice, as time permirs post the bands album you picked and any general comments. If you cant or dont want to do every day thats ok too. If you dont like the band come back in a week..

• Like 2