Rock n' Roll not "showy" anymore?

fraroc

Okay, let me further explain my point. It almost seems as if a modern rock band trying to put on a big arena-style production is an uncool thing to do. I recently came across a post while looking for information on drum kits about how small, four peice drum kits are better than big ones and that having a big kit automatically means you suck as a drummer, you're compensating for a small dick, and you're trying to put style over substance. Hell, some people were even calling a simple five peice kit like THIS a "big kit"

http://staticimages.hifisoundconnection.com/dsmp205cblk.jpg

On what universe is this considered a "big kit"? And another thing, it's not cool to want to use actual double bass on your kit? Everybody's gotta use a double pedal on one bass drum?

It almost seems like it's not cool to think that bigger is better anymore in Rock n' roll, everything's gotta be small and minimalistic. Pop stars always take things to an excess nowadays, why can't rock n' rollers do the same like they used to back then. Even if you can't sell out stadiums and have to play in clubs, at least try and make it look like you put SOME effort into putting on a big show.

• Like 2

It goes with what the performer wants. You don't need to have a Neil-sized kit to be a good drummer, or have fancy Les Pauls to be a good guitarist. It's not for the trendy purpose of being "minimalistic" or whatever, you use what serves the music and what instruments serve your tastes. Does the stuff you play only call for a basic trap set? Then a trap set is fine. It doesn't have to be showy.
  • Like 3

Holdover of the Alternative Age... guitar solos suck, being in tune sucks, etc... It's supposedly too self-indulgent or something.
  • Like 1

The grunge movement ruined rock 'n' roll.

Well... I'm a Seattle-ish area guy from that age and love the music. But, yeah, I understand. It did purposely knock a lot of the grandeur of rock in the head.

• Like 1

Hair band shit ruined rock and roll.

If anything, that genre kept it alive.

Sometimes people like crap. But that can't last forever.

Hair band shit ruined rock and roll.

If anything, that genre kept it alive.

Sometimes people like crap. But that can't last forever.

Since when is music that to me, sounds like a half-assed version of Evanesence better than music that makes you want to have fun?

And, don't even get me STARTED on Creed.

Just don't.

Edited by fraroc

It seems weird now that bands like Pearl Jam are considered one of the ultimate classic rock bands, often adding lots of songs by Neil Young and The Who in their live shows

Yeah I agree. It is weird. :)

Hair band and grunge both contributed to the current lame state of rock. Grunge/ alternative killed the excess of the 80s, but they in turn brought about shit like the black keys.. You'd be hard pressed to find any modern musicians who admit to liking anything between 1980 - 1990..I don't use this saying often, but the early 90s scene tossed out the baby with the bathwater.. Not all bands from the 80s , and drummers with big kits, looked and sounded like warrant.

Hair band and grunge both contributed to the current lame state of rock. Grunge/ alternative killed the excess of the 80s, but they in turn brought about shit like the black keys.. You'd be hard pressed to find any modern musicians who admit to liking anything between 1980 - 1990..I don't use this saying often, but the early 90s scene tossed out the baby with the bathwater.. Not all bands from the 80s , and drummers with big kits, looked and sounded like warrant.

That's even more annoying, the "Everything that's not between 1960 to1979 is garbage" crowd.

Edited by fraroc

It seems weird now that bands like Pearl Jam are considered one of the ultimate classic rock bands, often adding lots of songs by Neil Young and The Who in their live shows

Yeah I agree. It is weird. :)

I don't know about that. Pearl Jam cover a lot of their influences and inspirations. So did Neil Young and The Who. Honestly, I see no irony.

Edited by ReRushed
  • Like 1

Well... I'm a Seattle-ish area guy from that age and love the music. But, yeah, I understand. It did purposely knock a lot of the grandeur of rock in the head.

But grunge revived the musicianship of 70's rock artists. Nothing simple about Soundgarden's stuff, sonically. The effeminate wankery of the glam and hair metal images were rejected, though.
  • Like 1

But grunge revived the musicianship of 70's rock artists. Nothing simple about Soundgarden's stuff, sonically. The effeminate wankery of the glam and hair metal images were rejected, though.

Wasn't that the point of the OP? That it's not "showy" anymore?

The vibes in the rock world that everything should be basic and simple have been around as far back as the first dummies who lamented at the excess of Sgt. Pepper's and the then rising prog movement a few years later. It became really popular to think that way about the exact same time the Ramones, the Sex Pistols, and the Clash released their debut albums (I.e. When punk hit), and more intellectual rising musicians who took inspiration from punk's short lived initial reign brought some of the same ideas into new wave and techno music, which of course kept developing until what had been simple became truly complex in new ways (no small thanks to the influence of bands like Rush, The Police, and Talking Heads on new wave).

So going into the nineties you had quickly dying hair metal, recomplexified (now inventing a word) new wave and techno, already date eighties pop, and a collection of other popular miscellaneous artists like Tom Petty, Aerosmith, and Bryan Adams who seemed to be singlehandedly keeping classic rock alive. But most of the greats had passed their heyday, aged considerably, and already begun living on their past successes, and few new artists kept the classic rock spirit alive (not to mention many who did were just as old as the old legends). Popular music was in a pretty bad state at this time (good old undying Rush even released their worst record in 91...IMO), so grunge's simplistic fusion of Boston-pop-songwriting, punk attitude and simplicity, and metallic weight had far more impact than it would have, say, five years prior.

It was the dominating, fiery rebirth of the transcendentalist idea that simplicity ruled, the punk aversion to flashy solos or unusual instrumentation and arrangements, that determined the shape of rock to come for at least the ensuing few decades. Not even Radiohead, the most popular and influential band ever to be pigeonholed as a one-hit-wonder, easily the most forward thinking music act of the late nineties and early two-thousands, not even Radiohead has been able to topple the effects of the style that Kurt Cobain (probably unintentionally) immortalized with four chords and four words ("Smells Like Teen Spirit") in 1991. Put shortly, the reason for oversimplification in modern rock today has less to do with grunge itself or "what was wrong with it," and more to do with its nigh-on perfect timing, its incalculable influence, and the raving support and precipitation its ideas received from young rockers everywhere (e.g. The White Stripes, early Muse and Radiohead, The Black Keys, The Strokes, and, much more recently, Royal Blood).

Wishing for a public return to flashy solos, humongous drum kits, and even more humongous rock stars at this point is like wishing for a repopularization of Jazz after bebop took over from big bands and first-wave rock 'n rollers like Elvis, Buddy Holly, and Chuck Berry came along. There will always be revival acts, and the significance, influence, and reverence of the old style will never fully disappear, but popularity is the greatest source of power in a capitalistic world, and popular music is always changing.

That's my shpeel on that. Basically, this won't be going away any time soon because Grunge rocked the music world to its core, and that's that. Sorry.

EDIT: Also, the effects of the exponentially increasing capitalistic value of "convenience" cannot be over-estimated in this discussion. Simplicity and travel convenience were some of the main factors that initially popularized rock and roll bands over jazz big bands, and even jazz big bands were smaller and usually less complicated than big classical orchestras. The way I see it, the main values of capitalism and popularity work directly against the artistic evolution of music. As artists naturally progress from their beginnings and roots and make more complex art, fewer people have the time for them, fewer people are interested, less money can be made. It's much more difficult to advertise, explain, popularize, create, go on tour with, understand, appreciate, listen to, and play an hour-long, orchestral suite than, say, "Shut Up And Dance" by Walk The Moon. It requires more people, more time, more instruments, more thinking (IMO more creativity), more skill (IMO more talent), more money...more everything, and people don't like using up more of almost any of those things, and find it hard to gain a great amount of any of them. So don't expect a return to the golden age of prog rock any more than a return to the golden age of classical music.

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo
  • Like 1

:no:

It ruined the "showy" aspect of it.

Getting rid of that didn't ruin rock, though. It put renewed focus on the music.

There was showiness embedded within the music which I think has been sorely missed by many such as the OP.

• Like 3