Rock n' Roll not "showy" anymore?

fraroc

my favorite opeth is my arms your hearse. heritage is pretty good but I don't really listen to them too much

I enjoy "My Arms."

I am weird. Opeth is the only cookie monster vocal band I adore.

I know they changed their sound to Porcupine Tree meets Storm Corrosion Meets Rush.

.. and showy doesn't necessarily have to mean glam

If anybody has a problem with Cheap Trick or Earth, Wind & Fire, you're gonna have to answer to me

;)

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/files/2013/05/CheapTrick1978.jpg?w=600&h=0&zc=1&s=0&a=t&q=89

http://blog-imgs-10-origin.fc2.com/s/e/k/sekiguchihirotsugu/photo.jpeg

Interesting that Pearl Jam is mentioned a few times here as indicative of "non showy"

I remember being on a school bus in sixth grade in 1976 with my friend Rick Friel, who eventually played in my high school band Shadow. He had a lunch box that had Kiss on it. "What is that?" Then he played me some music and I was hooked immediately. Then I had a Kiss room and I started playing guitar. They were the Beatles to me. They are the reason I started playing music.

They were larger than life, with this intangible thing that I basically think about all the time. I was Peter Criss for Halloween in 1976. I loved Alive!. "Black Diamond" blew my mind. Ace Frehley came onstage and did it with us at Madison Square Garden a few years ago, which was a total high watermark in my life. When I was 13, I never thought in a million years that I would even talk to him; I’d probably pass out. And here I am playing with him!

- Mike McCreedy, Pearl Jam

http://assets.rollingstone.com/assets/images/story/pearl-jams-mike-mccready-talks-kiss-obsession-and-influence-20140403/mccready-624-1396461069.jpg

It's a sad day when a person loses that youthful spirit and eveything then becomes the accepted mundane

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 1

Interesting that Pearl Jam is mentioned a few times here as indicative of "non showy"

I remember being on a school bus in sixth grade in 1976 with my friend Rick Friel, who eventually played in my high school band Shadow. He had a lunch box that had Kiss on it. "What is that?" Then he played me some music and I was hooked immediately. Then I had a Kiss room and I started playing guitar. They were the Beatles to me. They are the reason I started playing music.

They were larger than life, with this intangible thing that I basically think about all the time. I was Peter Criss for Halloween in 1976. I loved Alive!. "Black Diamond" blew my mind. Ace Frehley came onstage and did it with us at Madison Square Garden a few years ago, which was a total high watermark in my life. When I was 13, I never thought in a million years that I would even talk to him; I’d probably pass out. And here I am playing with him!

http://assets.rollingstone.com/assets/images/story/pearl-jams-mike-mccready-talks-kiss-obsession-and-influence-20140403/mccready-624-1396461069.jpg

It's a sad day when a person loses that youthful spirit and eveything then becomes the accepted mundane

Well as I am guilty as charged with my take on Pearl Jam I must say that Lucas, you keep me rocking man. Fukk the mundane. I am youthful at heart but how would like people on this very forum and in real life telling me I'm always on drugs because of personality and out in left field threads?

I don't care Lucus. I still write the way I want to write.

No one will ever change me.

Probably why I am divorced now.

20 years down the drain because I'm still in love with KISS and not my woman.

Shoot me now.

SHOCK ME!

FUKK IT!

Everything changes when these guys get to college. You join the college radio station, and everyone ridicules you for liking stuff like kiss.. You need to start listening to the Pixies man!!

• Like 2

and fraroc- who is talking about poison and their shitty no balls music? my point was that there is good music that is theatrical and over the top, there is good music that is minimalist and simplistic. rock is way too big and amazing to put yourself in either a prog box or a punk box and refuse to leave

From what you said in that original post, it seemed like you were forcing Rock into either bands like Nightwish or Darkmoor with lyrics about wizards and dragons and knights or bands like Nirvana with songs about heroin, depression etc.

I used Poison as an example because that is an example of a band that does not fall in either one of those two categories.

Edited by fraroc

Everything changes when these guys get to college. You join the college radio station, and everyone ridicules you for liking stuff like kiss.. You need to start listening to the Pixies man!!

you are right - WHERE IS MY MIND ?!?!?!

A buddy of mine works for Live Nation planning and setting up festivals. Talking to him recently and he told me straight up, 'Rock and roll is dead'.

The only marketable ROCK bands are older ones. And they lose a band or 2 every year. Once they are gone, it's over. The rock concerts are becoming less profitable as their audience is getting older.

The only profitable tours are Country and EDM festivals. It's what the kids want. It is what sells these days. The days of coast to coast tours are over, because bands can't sell out in 100 cities anymore. Most can't sell 75% of their tickets, Bands that are popular are either playing theaters on their own, or part of a package/ festival.

• Like 1

The grunge movement ruined rock 'n' roll.

Can't agree with that.....I accept there were a few turkeys in there, but there was some cracking stuff too.

IMO Dirt by Alice in Chains is a masterpiece, and although Layne Stayley was fairly low key as a person, there was bags of "showiness" in his vocals...that guy could really sing.

Also, Chris Cornell is a major talent, despite the increasing ridiculousness of his lyrics.

:LOL:

Can't decide if you're laughing at my opinion, or because you think the chris cornell crack was funny....

I'm laughing because you're saying it's good, but...

There's a lot of people who would disagree with you, and even by any objective standard you can't dismiss the quality of Cornell or Stayleys vocals.

Can't agree with that.....I accept there were a few turkeys in there, but there was some cracking stuff too.

IMO Dirt by Alice in Chains is a masterpiece, and although Layne Stayley was fairly low key as a person, there was bags of "showiness" in his vocals...that guy could really sing.

Also, Chris Cornell is a major talent, despite the increasing ridiculousness of his lyrics.

Can't decide if you're laughing at my opinion, or because you think the chris cornell crack was funny....

There's a lot of people who would disagree with you, and even by any objective standard you can't dismiss the quality of Cornell or Stayleys vocals.

Maybe if I were objective, but since I don't care for the music that accompanies them the point is a bit moot.

Maybe if I were objective, but since I don't care for the music that accompanies them the point is a bit moot.

Well ok then...

I can now ignore your opinion with a clear conscience ;-)

Well ok then...

I can now ignore your opinion with a clear conscience ;-)

That's fine. My opinion was just that, my opinion. It really only belongs to me. No point trying to sway me either way. :)

I read the pixies biography...they're rush fans! and black francis's first show was jethro tull

A buddy of mine works for Live Nation planning and setting up festivals. Talking to him recently and he told me straight up, 'Rock and roll is dead'.

The only marketable ROCK bands are older ones. And they lose a band or 2 every year. Once they are gone, it's over. The rock concerts are becoming less profitable as their audience is getting older.

The only profitable tours are Country and EDM festivals. It's what the kids want. It is what sells these days. The days of coast to coast tours are over, because bands can't sell out in 100 cities anymore. Most can't sell 75% of their tickets, Bands that are popular are either playing theaters on their own, or part of a package/ festival.

as long as I'm in a band, rock lives

and I dont wanna play "kraft macaroni and cheese hockey stadium"

Edited by bathory

Like i said earlier. Muse is the band that comes to mind for me.

In the bigger picture is the scaling back of showiness indicative that the industry is ailing?

I guess bands have less to spend?

That and over the top showiness was marketing made obsolete by the internet?

I have a feeling there are a couple kids somewhere in a basement or garage starting something special. Get rock bands out of the arenas and stadiums and get them back into clubs and theaters. And audotoriums. And basements. And backyards. And church halls.

Something is out there.

• Like 1

How can rock die? And who or what killed it?

Taylor swift and Katy perry aren't profitable?

Mainstream acceptance of rock music is pretty much dead. And I know we don't care about the mainstream, but back in the day, rock music was a relevant part of pop culture. Now Kenny Chesney has taken over that role. Where are the Bruce springsteens, motley crues, guns and roses, van Halens, Billy idols , zz tops.. I could go on and on . Today's youth ( for the most part) just dint give a shit about dudes on stage with guitars anymore.
  • Like 1

But they are pop . Where are the big rock bands besides foo fighters? Back in the day, you'd have a different huge band coming through town every week.

• Like 1

But they are pop . Where are the big rock bands besides foo fighters? Back in the day, you'd have a different huge band coming through town every week.

Whoops

Mainstream acceptance of rock music is pretty much dead. And I know we don't care about the mainstream, but back in the day, rock music was a relevant part of pop culture. Now Kenny Chesney has taken over that role. Where are the Bruce springsteens, motley crues, guns and roses, van Halens, Billy idols , zz tops.. I could go on and on . Today's youth ( for the most part) just dint give a shit about dudes on stage with guitars anymore.

What took the place of music with them?

Edited by Lorraine

Whoops

My reply was in reference to th claim that the only tours making money are country and edm. Clearly not true.

What took the place of music with them?

Texting