Rock n' Roll not "showy" anymore?

fraroc

Hair band shit ruined rock and roll.

If anything, that genre kept it alive.

Sometimes people like crap. But that can't last forever.

How dare you talk about my ex wife like that!!!!

JUST KIDDING!!!!

I like showy shows but yeah I agree I have seen in this month.

When I saw Jane's Addiction there was nothing going on in the background. Some standard lights and shit but nothing flashy.

Then a week later I saw The Cult.

They had nothing in their background either.

Everything has been totally toned down as far as backdrops are concerned.

I loved it actually.

FUKK GRUNGE!

I saw all of those bands live back in the day.

Boring ass shit.

The best one was Alice In Chains opening up for OZZY.

Layne had a broken leg so he sang the set list in a wheelchair.

Classic shit!

Ok so Soundgarden on the Badmotorfinger Tour was fuckking great.

JESUS CHRIST POSE!!!!

Nirvana sucked.

They were a copy cat The Who when I saw them.

Saw the Pearl Jam TEN Tour. It was fantastic but man, RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE opened! No one knew who they were. They kicked PJ's ASSHOLE.

Zach handed me a demo cassette tape in the crowd after their show.

I lost it.

I see no difference between the hair bands of the 80s and the grunge of the 90s - using hairspray and wearing girl's clothes is no different than going to the Goodwill and buying an old sweater ..

It's all about image, and for the most part, it's fake

Just ask Pantera, who changed when it just wasn't cool anymore

http://assets.noisey.com/content-images/contentimage/18272/Pantera.jpg

Edited by Lucas

The grunge movement ruined rock 'n' roll.

:no:

It ruined the "showy" aspect of it.

Getting rid of that didn't ruin rock, though. It put renewed focus on the music.

Okay, I should have said "in my opinion" it ruined rock n roll. I hated it.

Well... I'm a Seattle-ish area guy from that age and love the music. But, yeah, I understand. It did purposely knock a lot of the grandeur of rock in the head.

But grunge revived the musicianship of 70's rock artists. Nothing simple about Soundgarden's stuff, sonically. The effeminate wankery of the glam and hair metal images were rejected, though.

Wasn't that the point of the OP? That it's not "showy" anymore?

Rock wasn't that showy until the early 70's. Alice cooper, elton John and David Bowie pretty much started Glam Rock and then Rock bands started emulating them in ways. At Woodstock most of the artists were dressed similarly to what would be considered grunge style. Edited by snowdogged
  • Like 1

Well... I'm a Seattle-ish area guy from that age and love the music. But, yeah, I understand. It did purposely knock a lot of the grandeur of rock in the head.

But grunge revived the musicianship of 70's rock artists. Nothing simple about Soundgarden's stuff, sonically. The effeminate wankery of the glam and hair metal images were rejected, though.

Wasn't that the point of the OP? That it's not "showy" anymore?

Rock wasn't that showy until the early 70's. Alice cooper, elton John and David Bowie pretty much started Glam Rock and then Rock bands started emulating them in ways. At Woodstock mosts of the artist were dressed similarly to what would be considered grunge style.

• Like 1

I just had a thought about a double bass drum: I can't remember who it was, but I could've sworn there was a band that had two of them in addition to the rest of the kit.

Two doubles, as in four bass drums?

http://www.drummagazine.com/images/lessons/040813-avhopener-1.jpg

Alex VH. Showy.

I just had a thought about a double bass drum: I can't remember who it was, but I could've sworn there was a band that had two of them in addition to the rest of the kit.

Two doubles, as in four bass drums?

http://www.drummagazine.com/images/lessons/040813-avhopener-1.jpg

Alex VH. Showy.

Er... oh cripes..! I meant two bass drums..! :blush:

• Like 1

Can't agree with that.....I accept there were a few turkeys in there, but there was some cracking stuff too.

IMO Dirt by Alice in Chains is a masterpiece, and although Layne Stayley was fairly low key as a person, there was bags of "showiness" in his vocals...that guy could really sing.

Also, Chris Cornell is a major talent, despite the increasing ridiculousness of his lyrics.

• Like 1

Can't agree with that.....I accept there were a few turkeys in there, but there was some cracking stuff too.

IMO Dirt by Alice in Chains is a masterpiece, and although Layne Stayley was fairly low key as a person, there was bags of "showiness" in his vocals...that guy could really sing.

Also, Chris Cornell is a major talent, despite the increasing ridiculousness of his lyrics.

:LOL:

in all seriousness, I don't like the arena rocker's obsession with showmanship, and I don't like the hipster's insistence that no songs should have solos. there's a happy medium to be found here... if you only like bands with 9 minute solos and lord of the rings lyrics, you're stupid. if you only like bands with 3 minute songs who sing about heroin, new york and bad breakups, you're stupid.
  • Like 2

Don't forget to defrost before Crimbo. :D-13:

in all seriousness, I don't like the arena rocker's obsession with showmanship, and I don't like the hipster's insistence that no songs should have solos. there's a happy medium to be found here... if you only like bands with 9 minute solos and lord of the rings lyrics, you're stupid. if you only like bands with 3 minute songs who sing about heroin, new york and bad breakups, you're stupid.

People are stupid.

People are stupid.

except me ������������

That's what everyone thinks. ;)

And his mother!