New Neil Interview in Modern Drummer

ChrisUK

Excellent interview. :ebert: Great comment about appreciating the fans singing along with Geddy.....:ebert:

We don't have any songs that we hate, and there's none that we get sick of. They all have their charm to us, because they were all written from the heart, so there's none we feel reluctant to play.

Aww. :wub:

"The Spirit of Radio" is another great example. Since 1979, I don't think I've changed anything except the feel.

That settles the Permanent Waves decade debate. ;)

• Like 5

We don't have any songs that we hate, and there's none that we get sick of. They all have their charm to us, because they were all written from the heart, so there's none we feel reluctant to play.

"The Spirit of Radio" is another great example. Since 1979, I don't think I've changed anything except the feel.

I saw Rush at Bingley Hall in September 1979 and they played early versions of Spirit of Radio and Limelight.

• Like 4

I saw Rush at Bingley Hall in September 1979 and they played early versions of Spirit of Radio and Limelight.

What was the date? I will look to see if I have a bootleg from it.

• Like 1

No it doesn't. They often play songs they have written before they record them.

• Like 1

:LOL:

Are you saying that it wasn't recorded in the 70s? Is Neil a Time Lord? :LOL:

• Like 1

Very nice interview. I think he's right about their longevity being due a large part to the breakdown of duties in the band. Since he writes the lyrics and Geddy sings.

MD: What's in the future? If Rush isn't touring, will you still record? Write prose? Be a dad?

Neil: You just answered it. There's no strict answer, but those possibilities are all there.

It's coming soon--Moist. Here's a snippet of the opening of Adam's Rib...cool, thought provoking lyrics:

For years along the Darwinian path

ambition lifted man to the skies.

Searching beyond the veil for the echo of our past

Only to discover wisps of terrestrial lies.

Not alone, yet we can't see our guests

Walking beside us, step by step.

We've never seen the coming hordes

As we stare into empty nests.

Arriving at the points between enchantment and disillusion

Our lives are revealed for what they are.

Life is nature's tedious ad-lib,

We come from Adam's Rib.

http://i341.photobucket.com/albums/o371/x1yyz/MOIST_zpsv5j05ey9.jpg

http://i341.photobucket.com/albums/o371/x1yyz/MOIST%20back_zpsksjedkqx.jpg

Edited by Tombstone Mountain
  • Like 2

Cool. Thanks for posting.

Lorraine, I didn't notice that line! 70s album!!

So does that make Feedback a 60s album ?

;)

• Like 1

MD: What's in the future? If Rush isn't touring, will you still record? Write prose? Be a dad?

Neil: You just answered it. There's no strict answer, but those possibilities are all there.

Yay, they're planning the second leg of the R40 tour!

Actually it sounds like he's equivocating. In other articles he's flat-out said he's retired.

Edited by antiquark