November 10th, 1975: The SS Edmund Fitzgerald Sinks

Principled Man

40 years ago this week, the heavy Great Lakes freighter, the SS Edmund Fitzgerald, sank in a November storm on Lake Superior.

http://symonsez.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/fitzgeraldpic.jpg

All 29 crewmen went down with the ship. Hurricane-force winds and 35-foot waves sank the fully-loaded ship 17 miles from Whitefish Bay in Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan.

The tragedy has never been forgotten, thanks to Gordon Lightfoot, the celebrated Canadian folk-rock singer and songwriter.

http://youtu.be/oalhWi48BpI

Edited by Principled Man
  • Like 4

JERRY: Hey. How's the new place?!

GEORGE: Gone. The tenant association made me give it to this guy because he was an Andrea Doria survivor..

ELAINE: Andrea Doria? Isn't that the one they did the song about?

JERRY: Edmund Fitzgerald.

ELIANE: I love Edmund Fitzgerald's voice.

JERRY: No, Gordon Lightfoot was the singer. Edmund Fitzgerald was the ship.

ELAINE: I think Gordon Lightfoot was the boat.

JERRY: Yeah, and it was rammed by the Cat Stevens.

KRAMER: The Andrea Doria collided with the Stockholm in dense fog 21 miles off the coast of Nantucket.

• Like 2

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one that loves that song. Gordon isn't my typical cup of tea, but I do dig that song.

One of my friends that I used to hang with had a sports bar by his apartment, and the bar has that song on the juke box. My buddy, being the goofball that he was, would put $5 in the juke box and play "The Wreck" 20 times before he would leave. :LOL:

• Like 1

Wasn't there some controversy about one of the lyric lines?

No "controversy" to speak of. Just some inaccuracies in the lyrics. The ship was headed for Detroit. In the song, it was headed for Cleveland. Minor stuff like that.

I love the G. Lightfoot song, did anyone make a decent movie aboot this tragic event?

Not that i know of but The Discovery Channel showed an hour long documentary on it.. also on Youtube, Smithsonian Channel and National Geographic.

No "controversy" to speak of. Just some inaccuracies in the lyrics. The ship was headed for Detroit. In the song, it was headed for Cleveland. Minor stuff like that.

Oh. I thought I heard something about the "main hatchway caved in" line - that may have suggested the crew didn't secure it properly - and some of the wives or relatives were upset because it suggested that the boat sank due to human error.

Edited by toymaker

40 years ago this week, the heavy Great Lakes freighter, the SS Edmund Fitzgerald, sank in a November storm on Lake Superior.

http://symonsez.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/fitzgeraldpic.jpg

All 29 crewmen went down with the ship. Hurricane-force winds and 35-foot waves sank the fully-loaded ship 17 miles from Whitefish Bay in Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan.

The tragedy has never been forgotten, thanks to Gordon Lightfoot, the celebrated Canadian folk-rock singer and songwriter.

http://youtu.be/oalhWi48BpI

I rarely enter this subforum but I'm glad I did today! I was lucky enough to see Gordon Lightfoot last month! He was AWESOME! He talked about the 22 men who went down with her and then went right into the song! One of my goals in life was completed. I always wanted to hear that song live. Life is short! Live long rock strong! Gordon rules!!!!

• Like 1

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one that loves that song. Gordon isn't my typical cup of tea, but I do dig that song.

One of my friends that I used to hang with had a sports bar by his apartment, and the bar has that song on the juke box. My buddy, being the goofball that he was, would put $5 in the juke box and play "The Wreck" 20 times before he would leave. :LOL:

Yeah! :LOL:

I could actually sit through it all. :D

Oh. I thought I heard something about the "main hatchway caved in" line - that may have suggested the crew didn't secure it properly - and some of the wives or relatives were upset because it suggested that the boat sank due to human error.

Yes, that is true. Lightfoot doesn't sing that phrase in concert anymore, but only to satisfy the families of the crewmen.

No one knows what sank the ship. There has been no official determination on what exactly caused the ship to go down. It could have been structural failure, or human error, or simply the horrible storm. I don't think we'll ever know for sure.

• Like 1

At the time the song was popular, I was in my late teens and started to get a little tired of it, it was played SO much. Then a friend mentioned her dad lost a relative on that ship and it seemed so real, suddenly. About 10 years after that we ended up living in Cleveland and used to see the huge lake freighters come in and out all the time; I couldn't see them without thinking of the Edmund Fitzgerald. Such a beautiful, haunting song.