2112 vs.THE ASTONISHING; (RUSH vs.DREAM THEATER) LET THE BATTLE COMMENCE!

Red Dwarf

Over on the Dream Theater forum there's big news concerning DTs forthcoming album The Astonishing. Apparently it's going to be a concept album/"rock opera",and over the last few days their website has been asking it's users to choose one of two"paths",and they will receive an e-mail from the band! Today the e-mails have started to be sent out,and they are very cryptic in nature!

Our friends over on DT forum are all getting very excited,and before one note has been heard,they are proclaiming that this is going to be DTs answer to 2112!

Now this is some statement and as much as i enjoy the music of DT this has really lit a fuse.

Will have to wait and see until early 2016 to find out the answer but in the meantime let the battle of words commence!

I don't how it'll match up to 2112 but if it's like DT'S last 2. it'll be Superb. The self titled is a top album in my collection. it was amazing. so Come on...... i'm really pulling for more great things.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 3

I totally see the 2112 parallels, but I also see them in Styx's Kilroy Was Here, so it doesn't really mean much, not to mention the whole dystopian future thing hasn't really been surprising since, I dunno, George Orwell's 1984...or before that.

Still, I think it's gonna be great! :)

• Like 2

...this is going to be DTs answer to 2112!...

http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh597/greyfriar2112/897440_avatar_zps40c4fe7c.gif

• Like 1

I've heard it...it's better than 2112, Hemispheres and Moving Pictures combined.

This is a joke right? Cause if it's not I want details. Not all of them, but enough to make me super excited.

I got the email from DT or Roadrunner Records and played along just for fun. I picked the Ravenskill side.

So today I get a long ass email about Ravenskill and the people who live in the community.

It's the stupidest thing I have ever read. Actually I had to stop. It was so stupid. "Dungeons & Dragons" bullshit.

I have no idea why the hype I mean tripe is so high on this record.

Dream Theater makes me sick. They always have to do covers of other bands and now they are trying to write a "Fugazi" 2112 sequel concept album?

Text Box Losers.

Please Dream Theater, learn to play your own chops and leave the real musicians alone. You know, the ones who play with heart and soul.

Not some stupid music book found in some over priced music school in New York City.

I used to rip the spitting camel apart but he's the smartest one of the bunch by leaving that overrated band of bloated baboons.

There is absolutely NOTHING ASTONISHING about Dream Theater. JMO

Sorry Rod buddy! Not a fan of this band anymore. I will only listen to it if I get it for free.

Hopefully it's an instrumental album.

Hopefully Jordan Rudeness has quit. Not a typo.

The new album has Petrucci's best guitar tone ever. Rudess is quite prominent as well, with tasty keyboard parts without overplaying. Mangini's horrible snare sound on their self titled album is fixed at last, and Myung's bass is higher in the mix than in previous studio releases. LaBrie sticks to the mid-range delivery most of the time, but reaches incredibly high notes on the ending track.

The storyline is rather complex...2112 with more grit. As I heard the album, I could definitely see a movie being made about it, kinda like "V for Vendetta". The songs vary in length, but even the longer ones go straight to the point, without pointless and never ending intros. Several catchy choruses as well will guarantee that those who see the album played live in its entirety will not get bored.

From an instrumental point of view, it's a rather varied album. Touches of Rush, Maiden, Floyd, Metallica and even Toto are heard everywhere, but with the distinct DT style. In my opinion, their best release ever.

Of course I could be just trolling and everything written above is just my wishlist. You decide...

The new album has Petrucci's best guitar tone ever. Rudess is quite prominent as well, with tasty keyboard parts without overplaying. Mangini's horrible snare sound on their self titled album is fixed at last, and Myung's bass is higher in the mix than in previous studio releases. LaBrie sticks to the mid-range delivery most of the time, but reaches incredibly high notes on the ending track.

The storyline is rather complex...2112 with more grit. As I heard the album, I could definitely see a movie being made about it, kinda like "V for Vendetta". The songs vary in length, but even the longer ones go straight to the point, without pointless and never ending intros. Several catchy choruses as well will guarantee that those who see the album played live in its entirety will not get bored.

From an instrumental point of view, it's a rather varied album. Touches of Rush, Maiden, Floyd, Metallica and even Toto are heard everywhere, but with the distinct DT style. In my opinion, their best release ever.

Of course I could be just trolling and everything written above is just my wishlist. You decide...

Wow Rod! I hope your "Dream" Theater comes true!

No Ghost influence? That breaks my heart................ I mean my soul. I mean my mind..............

• Like 1

Dear goodness, don't toy with us like that! That album sounds epic! I want it now! Give me your heart and your soul!

The poster for the live shows, which is likely to be the cover of the new album, is rather similar to Marillion´s Somewhere Else...

220px-Marillion_-_Somewhere_Else_%282007%29_front_cover.jpg

http://www.dreamtheater.net/sites/g/files/g2000003226/f/201510/DT-thanxbg.png

• Like 2