Does the No True Scotsman fallacy sometimes apply to Rush fans?

fraroc

10 members have voted

1. 1. Does the No True Scotsman fallacy apply to some Rush fans

• Yes, some members are guilty of using that fallacy
    • No, no one used that fallacy
    • Other

I like Nessie

1443138374644.jpg

I like her too! I like Tahoe Tessie. There is no water in Lake Tahoe. Sightings of her have been hard to find though because they can't get boats into the water. All the docks are on dry land.

"Dry Land"

Isn't that a Marillion song?

Reminded me of Bob Dylan, actually.

"...ohhh, and you are on dry land..."

(from You're a Big Girl Now)

Love,

Robbie Zimmerman

• Like 2

According to the RationalWiki, "No True Scotsman is a logical fallacy by which an individual attempts to avoid being associated with an unpleasant act by asserting that no true member of the group they belong to would do such a thing."

The question I'm trying to ask is that based on the quote I posted, does this fallacy apply to some members of the Rush fanbase, including myself? I'd honestly say yes, it does. I feel like during the whole Neil Retirement Resentment Saga that just occurred, I feel like there was quite a bit of this stuff going on. "You're not a real Rush fan if you support Neil's retirement/don't support Neil's retirement." And of course, I will admit I was guilty of the second one during that whole mess.

I don't want to fight. I don't want to argue or yell at anybody, I just want to ask this question. Does this logical fallacy apply to what happened?

Or better yet, if there is another fallacy I'm not aware of, does it apply or not?

I'm very sorry. I am an educated man and I am filled with wit, puns and metal knowledge. I don't understand this thread.

First time for me.

I just don't get it.

Well...I'm an idiot, and I don't get it either.

I must third this motion. I don't get it either.

• Like 1

The OP is saying that he's encountered people who think that no true Rush fan would deny Neil his right to end Rush.
  • Like 2

The OP is saying that he's encountered people who think that no true Rush fan would deny Neil his right to end Rush.

Okay, that makes sense. However, I don't think it has to do with being a "true Rush fan" so much as just common sense.

• Like 1

It is always a fallacy when some members of a fan base accuse others of not being true fans.

Rush fans, Packer fans, Star Trek fans, Christianity ;) ..... etc., etc., ..... No fan base is immune from such foolishness. There are always some who try to set themselves above others. It's human nature.

• Like 2

It is always a fallacy when some members of a fan base accuse others of not being true fans.

Rush fans, Packer fans, Star Trek fans, Christianity ;) ..... etc., etc., ..... No fan base is immune from such foolishness. There are always some who try to set themselves above others. It's human nature.

Is it also human nature to be a bit turned off by that?

When did someone officially part of the Rush organization send out a survey or test to determine what a "real Rush fan" is anyway? I'm not a fan of superlatives, but in this case I think it applies, anyone who says that someone is or isn't a true fan of anything unless xxx, is a complete and utter moron.
  • Like 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S065ezDbDNw

I really DGAF about whether anyone thinks I'm a true Rush fan or not. It affects my life exactly not at all.

• Like 4

I really DGAF about whether anyone thinks I'm a true Rush fan or not. It affects my life exactly not at all.

The sign of a true Rush fan!!!

• Like 1

Is it also human nature to be a bit turned off by that?

I would answer that with a resounding YES.

• Like 1

I need to write a song with those 4 chords and see if anyone gets that it's because I DGAF.

• Like 1

That's half of the coin. The others say that no true rush fan would say that no one should have the power to end rush.

Edited by Ancient Ways

I need to write a song with those 4 chords and see if anyone gets that it's because I DGAF.

That may be dangerous. You could subliminally brainwash any who hears your song into dropping out of school, quitting their jobs, cheating on their spouses......

;) ;) ;)

Edited by Principled Man

That's half of the coin. The others say that no true rush fan would say that no one should have the power to end rush.

IMO, it's not a matter of being a TrueRushFan. It's a matter of being a good or bad Rush fan.

Expecting the band or any of its members to change their career plans just to please ME makes me a bad fan.

• Like 1

I've spent my first afternoon back here in years reading about all ye hate for Neil. Yet no one has really touched on Alex's arthritis issue. This board's setup doesn't allow me to post a pic as easily as on CP. I was going to post a pic of my pointer and ring fingers on my left hand, which are permanently bent from psoriatic arthritis. Luckily, I'm a bass player so I can still manage. I can play most of the things I could before, except songs like Turn The Page, or any other song that requires one finger to bar 2 strings. The point is, if I were a guitarist, I'd be finished. My fingers make it impossible to play most chords. Alex is 15 years older than me. If his situation is anything like mine, I completely understand his reluctance to continue as well.

• Like 2

I've spent my first afternoon back here in years reading about all ye hate for Neil. Yet no one has really touched on Alex's arthritis issue. This board's setup doesn't allow me to post a pic as easily as on CP. I was going to post a pic of my pointer and ring fingers on my left hand, which are permanently bent from psoriatic arthritis. Luckily, I'm a bass player so I can still manage. I can play most of the things I could before, except songs like Turn The Page, or any other song that requires one finger to bar 2 strings. The point is, if I were a guitarist, I'd be finished. My fingers make it impossible to play most chords. Alex is 15 years older than me. If his situation is anything like mine, I completely understand his reluctance to continue as well.

I know a couple of people that have it as well and they would have great difficulty doing what Alex does. I don't understand all of the hate aimed at Neil either. I guess because he tends to be the solitary one that shuns fan interaction that people feel like they need to pick on him. Even before this last tour and them coming out and saying he wanted to spend time with his family, it was like this. I always admired him and was inspired by his lyrics for a lot of years. I think a lot of people here feel the same way but with all of the hate flying around it's hard to have a positive viewpoint.

Dumb thread.

The "F" in "TRF" doesn't stand for "Fraroc".

Sheesh...

Not sure about the Neil hate. I've been a proponent of Neil retiring since the tour ended. After all he's been through he deserves a chance at a semi-normal family life.