Does the No True Scotsman fallacy sometimes apply to Rush fans?

fraroc

10 members have voted

1. 1. Does the No True Scotsman fallacy apply to some Rush fans

• Yes, some members are guilty of using that fallacy
    • No, no one used that fallacy
    • Other

According to the RationalWiki, "No True Scotsman is a logical fallacy by which an individual attempts to avoid being associated with an unpleasant act by asserting that no true member of the group they belong to would do such a thing."

The question I'm trying to ask is that based on the quote I posted, does this fallacy apply to some members of the Rush fanbase, including myself? I'd honestly say yes, it does. I feel like during the whole Neil Retirement Resentment Saga that just occurred, I feel like there was quite a bit of this stuff going on. "You're not a real Rush fan if you support Neil's retirement/don't support Neil's retirement." And of course, I will admit I was guilty of the second one during that whole mess.

I don't want to fight. I don't want to argue or yell at anybody, I just want to ask this question. Does this logical fallacy apply to what happened?

Or better yet, if there is another fallacy I'm not aware of, does it apply or not?

Edited by fraroc
  • Like 1

Above and beyond what a fanbase desires, perceives, or believes to be known...

A man retires from a career in the spotlight after a long and prosperous and wondrous contribution to world culture. Legacy assured.

Does not care what public opinion asserts thereafter. Focuses on family and well being.

The end.

• Like 2

Above and beyond what a fanbase desires, perceives, or believes to be known...

A man retires from a career in the spotlight after a long and prosperous and wondrous contribution to world culture. Legacy assured.

Does not care what public opinion asserts thereafter. Focuses on family and well being.

The end.

Very much this.

I don't know. It's a slippery slope but I'll save my ad hominem attack on you for another time.

Ok. Mr. Tu quoque

According to the RationalWiki, "No True Scotsman is a logical fallacy by which an individual attempts to avoid being associated with an unpleasant act by asserting that no true member of the group they belong to would do such a thing."

The question I'm trying to ask is that based on the quote I posted, does this fallacy apply to some members of the Rush fanbase, including myself? I'd honestly say yes, it does. I feel like during the whole Neil Retirement Resentment Saga that just occurred, I feel like there was quite a bit of this stuff going on. "You're not a real Rush fan if you support Neil's retirement/don't support Neil's retirement." And of course, I will admit I was guilty of the second one during that whole mess.

I don't want to fight. I don't want to argue or yell at anybody, I just want to ask this question. Does this logical fallacy apply to what happened?

Or better yet, if there is another fallacy I'm not aware of, does it apply or not?

I'm very sorry. I am an educated man and I am filled with wit, puns and metal knowledge. I don't understand this thread.

First time for me.

I just don't get it.

• Like 5

I'm very sorry. I am an educated man and I am filled with wit, puns and metal knowledge. I don't understand this thread.

First time for me.

I just don't get it.

Well...I'm an idiot, and I don't get it either.

• Like 3

I like Nessie

1443138374644.jpg

I like her too! I like Tahoe Tessie. There is no water in Lake Tahoe. Sightings of her have been hard to find though because they can't get boats into the water. All the docks are on dry land.

"Dry Land"

Isn't that a Marillion song?

• Like 1

First time for me.

I just don't get it.

Well...I'm an idiot, and I don't get it either.

We are idiots together. No comprende amigo.

I would bet that a whole host of fallacies, when applied to any online forum, would likely apply.

Hmmm...perhaps I can come up with a new one, myself. I could call it the Stone the Narcissist Fallacy, or something. :P

• Like 1