Is Neil Peart a Selfish Prick?

Union 5-3992

77 members have voted

1. 1. Is Neil Peart a selfish prick?

What is wrong with Neil wanting to retire?

Aside from loving the band, I see no issue with this at all. Not even a tiny bit. It isn't like the music is somehow going to die. Just be happy for him!

He has a life away from music.

Love Neil.

Love Geddy.

Love Alex. But it does seem that everyone has chosen to overlook that he looked to be in agony the first few shows on the R40 tour. Neil is not the only reason Rush are slowing down, for this I am certain.

• Like 1

Love Neil.

Love Geddy.

Love Alex. But it does seem that everyone has chosen to overlook that he looked to be in agony the first few shows on the R40 tour. Neil is not the only reason Rush are slowing down, for this I am certain.

More than just a few. Alex looked in pain up until about Buffalo when he started smiling and moving around more, and not as many mistakes.

• Like 1

Love Neil.

Love Geddy.

More than just a few. Alex looked in pain up until about Buffalo when he started smiling and moving around more, and not as many mistakes.

Yeah I suppose Alex was being a prick for hanging it up because of his arthritis. Wimp.

• Like 2

FOH, can't remember if you ever answered this but is all Geddy and Alex were asking for was a couple month extension of the R40 tour? If they had their way would they be doing more tours and albums even in their late 60's or were they also fine with the band ending after an extensive final tour?

They knew this would be the last tour, and in order to show their appreciation to the fans, all everyone, except Neil, wanted was more dates (another 3 moths), and an overseas leg. Neil would only agree to 35 US shows. The hope was that he'd get back out on the road and have a change of heart, but that never happened...

Not knowing how this would all end, I don't think that there was ever any talk about the band's future. However, Neil made it crystal clear that he would do more touring, ever.

people can change their minds :huh:

OK, if that makes you feel better... :D

Just curious mate, you speak as if you have quite a bit of inside knowledge of the band.....would you mind sharing how you come by this?...I'm not wanting any private info about anyone, but you really need to back up what you are saying, or I'm inclined to take it with a large rock of salt.....saying that, what you have been stating recently makes sense......

Haha, I'm fortunate enough to have some very good friends! But I'm not going to name drop in order to prove it. All you have to do is check my history, and the accuracy of what I've shared here over the years.

And yes, of course it makes sense. Facts usually do. :D

Oh well. He's paid his dues.

I definitely agree, he has. But I also think that's a real shame, if Ged and Al really feel slighted by it. I wasn't aware that there was any notion of bad blood between either of the two of them and Neil.

I definitely agree, he has. But I also think that's a real shame, if Ged and Al really feel slighted by it. I wasn't aware that there was any notion of bad blood between either of the two of them and Neil.

I highly doubt there is. In '02 at Mohegan Sun I met a guy who had flown in from Argentina because he had absolute solid info that Rush was finished and wanted to see as many shows as he could. After all, they weren't traveling together.

I just don't see them holding a grudge with Neil over 3 extra weeks, after 40+ years.

I highly doubt there is. In '02 at Mohegan Sun I met a guy who had flown in from Argentina because he had absolute solid info that Rush was finished and wanted to see as many shows as he could. After all, they weren't traveling together.

I just don't see them holding a grudge with Neil over 3 extra weeks, after 40+ years.

Yeah, I hope not.

The 3 "extra" weeks were just the straw that broke the camel's back. Neil has been holding the whole organization hostage for a lot of years. And there was ZERO compromise on his end. He was the proverbial, "unless I get my way, I'm taking my ball and going home" kid on the playground. It would be nice the think that they're all good friends at this point, but that's just not the way it is.

The 3 "extra" weeks were just the straw that broke the camel's back. Neil has been holding the whole organization hostage for a lot of years. And there was ZERO compromise on his end. He was the proverbial, "unless I get my way, I'm taking my ball and going home" kid on the playground. It would be nice the think that they're all good friends at this point, but that's just not the way it is.

Exactly how much more could they have done since '01? They worked all of '01 & '02. Took 2003 off. Alex screwed up whatever they may have had planned for 2004, but they still worked. Took 2005 off. Worked in 2006, 2007, and 2008. Took 2009 off. Worked in 2010, 2011, 2012, & 2013. Took 2014 off. Worked this year.

I'm not necessarily calling bullshit on whatever "in" you have with the band; I'm just not sure it's as "in" as you're thinking it is.

• Like 3

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

This is by far the STUPIDEST thing I have ever read here at The Rush Forum. It's also the biggest LIE.

• Like 2

Exactly how much more could they have done since '01? They worked all of '01 & '02. Took 2003 off. Alex screwed up whatever they may have had planned for 2004, but they still worked. Took 2005 off. Worked in 2006, 2007, and 2008. Took 2009 off. Worked in 2010, 2011, 2012, & 2013. Took 2014 off. Worked this year.

I'm not necessarily calling bullshit on whatever "in" you have with the band; I'm just not sure it's as "in" as you're thinking it is.

I agree. FOH has asserted in multiple posts that Neil has held them hostage for the last several years. No matter how many times he says it, I'm not buying it. It doesn't hold up to the facts. Like you point it out, all the activity since Vapor Trails. And if his "hostage" claim has some small measure of truth to it, then it is quite probable that the number of "hostage years" equals the age of his daughter. Whoa, family first? What a concept!

This is Neil's interview with Prog magazine that came out in January, so it was conducted late 2014.

--

Q- There are still no Rush dates confirmed yet - Alex suggested there might be, Ged wasn't so sure - but where do you stand on touring now? Does the idea of it still enthral you, or leave you cold?

A- It's a true dilemma, there's no right answer. People say to me, 'Are you still excited when you go out on tour?' Should I be excited about leaving my family? No, and no one should. It's as simple as that: if you put aside the fantasy of it, it is what it is and has to be done, and that's fine and I pour my entire energy and enthusiasm into it, but, of course, I'm of two minds about the whole idea.

Q- Your write very lovingly about your daughter Olivia in the book: how old is she now?

A- She's five and again with the separation, it's heartbreak, I've been doing this for 40 years, I know how to compartmentalise, and I can stand missing her, but I can't stand her missing me and it's painful and impossible to understand for her. How can a small child process that? And there's the guilt that comes with that, you feel guilty about it, of course. I'm causing pain.

• Like 2

This is by far the STUPIDEST thing I have ever read here at The Rush Forum. It's also the biggest LIE.

C'mon, there's no way that's the stupidest thing posted to TRF. :)

That said, I don't believe FOH has any way of knowing the exact state of their friendship.. especially since the tour ended. I think FOH is pissed at Neil and wants everyone at TRF to hate him too. That's my general feeling about his post R40 tour TMZ-style posts.

I'm fine with Neil's reasons for hanging it up, if that's indeed the case. My kids are 7,8 & 10, and I turned down a job not too long ago that would have had me gone every 6 out of 8 weeks.

Howver, as relatively short as the last few tours have been, I'm curious as to why he didn't just bring the family on the road in the million-dollar house on wheels he rides around in.

WOW, so you have information to the contrary from a reliable source? Maybe from pre-tour interviews or the like? Yeah, we all know how reliable that information is.

Look, believe me or not, but to become insulting, simply because you wish it to not be true, is kind of ignorant & naive. To call me a liar when to date, everything I've posted on this site has been proven to be 100% true, makes no sense to me either. Check my history, Friend.Then get back to me about what a liar I am.

That said, I don't believe FOH has any way of knowing the exact state of their friendship.. especially since the tour ended. I think FOH is pissed at Neil and wants everyone at TRF to hate him too. That's my general feeling about his post R40 tour TMZ-style posts.

Seriously? Why on earth would I, personally, be pissed at Neil? Additionally, why on earth would I even post unreliable information here? What would I have to gain from it??

• Like 1

I'm fine with Neil's reasons for hanging it up, if that's indeed the case. My kids are 7,8 & 10, and I turned down a job not too long ago that would have had me gone every 6 out of 8 weeks.

Howver, as relatively short as the last few tours have been, I'm curious as to why he didn't just bring the family on the road in the million-dollar house on wheels he rides around in.

Well...I can understand him not wanting to his daughter, at the age of five or six, to be anywhere that close to the trappings of a Rush tour. And not because of anything that he does, but just...I don't know, my sons are ages 8 and 11, and I don't think I'd do that, if I were in his position. Especially with my younger one.

But who knows? He (and his wife) could have had other reasons as well.

It is the stupidest thing that I have ever read, but then, I have only been here for five years. I may have missed out on other stupid lies.

WOW, so you have information to the contrary from a reliable source? Maybe from pre-tour interviews or the like? Yeah, we all know how reliable that information is.

Look, believe me or not, but to become insulting, simply because you wish it to not be true, is kind of ignorant & naive. To call me a liar when to date, everything I've posted on this site has been proven to be 100% true, makes no sense to me either. Check my history, Friend.Then get back to me about what a liar I am.

Seriously? Why on earth would I, personally, be pissed at Neil? Additionally, why on earth would I even post unreliable information here? What would I have to gain from it??

I don't know. Tell us why you keep posting the same things over and over that suggest we should be as mad at Neil as you sound to be in your posts. You can't keep posting this somewhat inflammatory insider stuff and have a "what did I do, you're suppose to treat my posts as the gospel truth" mentality when you're challenged. Some of your claims sound false, and when challenged you don't defend or explain them. Instead, you're giving Trump-like replies instead of substance.

It is the stupidest thing that I have ever read, but then, I have only been here for five years. I may have missed out on other stupid lies.

I've read dummer in the last week, but I'll accept your answer :cheers:

I don't know. Tell us why you keep posting the same things over and over that suggest we should be as mad at Neil as you sound to be in your posts. You can't keep posting this somewhat inflammatory insider stuff and have a "what did I do, you're suppose to treat my posts as the gospel truth" mentality when you're challenged. Some of your claims sound false, and when challenged you don't defend or explain them. Instead, you're giving Trump-like replies instead of substance.

What defense could I give that would appease you or anyone else who doesn't want to hear it? But if you really question my authenticity, check my posting history & dates over the years and compare it against actual facts/information that came out afterwards.

Like I said before, believe me or not, but unless you have reliable contrary information, other than your "gut feeling", please don't insult me by calling me a liar. Let's try and remain civil here.

What defense could I give that would appease you or anyone else who doesn't want to hear it? But if you really question my authenticity, check my posting history & dates over the years and compare it against actual facts/information that came out afterwards.

Like I said before, believe me or not, but unless you have reliable contrary information, other than your "gut feeling", please don't insult me by calling me a liar. Let's try and remain civil here.

You have no factual evidence to support anything that you have said. If you do have any facts, then POST THEM. If you have had personal communications with the band and their business partners, then POST those communications here.

YOU are the one who made the ridiculous claims. YOU are the one who has to show proof. If you have no proof, then you're just as dishonest as fraroc and a few other nincompoops here.

You have nothing but conjecture and gossip.

• Like 2

First of all, I did not call you a liar. You responded to two separate people in one post ealier, me and another man, and that obviously confused you on who you are speaking to. Just a friendly suggestion - only reply to one person at a time.

Second of all, your credibility will be greatly increased if you actually addressed some of the challenges to your statements. Perfectly valid challenges were made, and you just ignore them. It would be nice if you came clean and addressed every challenge made to you, and it would also be nice if you were to identify yourself in a better way. I have no idea if you are someone in Rush's inner circle, or you're just some tour employee who's pissed at Neil for bringing the tour, and therefore your job on R40, to a premature end. Again, you do not address challenges to your statements. You're just not transparent enough to be totally believable, and as such, should not be offended if someone thinks you are not accurate and/or honest.

• Like 1

FOH, I'm relatively new to this board. I've been at CP for 13 years, and over there, there are a few people with connections to some degree. We all know who they are, and give their posts the credibility they deserve. When someone shows up who is a bullshitter, they tend not to last very long there. We're not very nice to those folks. So far in my week or so here, no one has stepped up to bat for you. I don't know who the mods are, or the senior posters, but either way, from my limited exposure, you're making assertions with no more credibility than I have. And I'm not going to go digging through your posts to link your predictions with whether they came to be or not. Feel free to post links.

So having said all that, at the moment you come across as someone looking for attention on a messageboard, which is never a good thing.

• Like 2

FOH, I'm relatively new to this board. I've been at CP for 13 years, and over there, there are a few people with connections to some degree. We all know who they are, and give their posts the credibility they deserve. When someone shows up who is a bullshitter, they tend not to last very long there. We're not very nice to those folks. So far in my week or so here, no one has stepped up to bat for you. I don't know who the mods are, or the senior posters, but either way, from my limited exposure, you're making assertions with no more credibility than I have. And I'm not going to go digging through your posts to link your predictions with whether they came to be or not. Feel free to post links.

So having said all that, at the moment you come across as someone looking for attention on a message board, which is never a good thing.

:goodone:

Indeed. The best way to expose one's self as a bullshitter is to make a questionable or outrageous assertion, and then, when called on it, challenge others to prove that you're wrong.

In any discussion or debate about anything, if you make a claim about something or someone, if you claim that what you say is a fact, then the burden of proof is fully on YOUR shoulders. You have to provide factual evidence. If you can't or won't provide the proof, then you're just another bullshitter.