The Counterparts Appreciation Thread (or moan fest thread)

Segue Myles

I'm getting to really dig Double Agent. an off the wall idea for them.....that somehow works, lol

Mick

Took Double Agent less time to grow on me than Spindrift. I think both are similar in terms of strangeness!

• Like 1

I'm getting to really dig Double Agent. an off the wall idea for them.....that somehow works, lol

Mick

Took Double Agent less time to grow on me than Spindrift. I think both are similar in terms of strangeness!

Took me one listen to enjoy Double Agent. Unfortunately, I still dislike Spindrift.

• Like 1

Counterparts is not better than Presto, which stylistically I consider as part of the nineties albums (not defining this era by decade), but it is better than RTB. Not sure about T4E. I enjoy that a lot if I ignore the lyrics!

Mick

Took me one listen to enjoy Double Agent. Unfortunately, I still dislike Spindrift.

Took me one listen as well! Took a few spins to become a highlight for me.

Spindrift is excellent to me now.

Counterparts is not better than Presto, which stylistically I consider as part of the nineties albums (not defining this era by decade), but it is better than RTB. Not sure about T4E. I enjoy that a lot if I ignore the lyrics!

I find Counterparts to be several worlds better than T4E. The latter is now truly the only Rush album that I don't enjoy.

I find Counterparts to be several worlds better than T4E. The latter is now truly the only Rush album that I don't enjoy.

Regarding those albums...

Counterparts > Presto > T4E > RTB

Counterparts & Presto are hard to judge though.

I appreciate CP because it allows me to better appreciate Rush music and lyrics that don't suck.

I understand why some might not like the lyrics on the album but I don't get how someone can think the music sucks?

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 2

CP is easily the best album of 90's Rush for me now. It's not better then snakes or Presto for me though. It's Easily Rush's most interesting though. in terms of throw shit at the wall and see what sticks. and i'm dead serious about that.

Mick

When I listen to the lyrics to Double Agent, I sometimes wonder if Neil is addressing addiction. As far as I know, none of the boys have had addiction issues, but I am sure Neil has been touched by someone who has. In fact, has Rush ever written a song about addiction? I thought it was a requirement to be in a rock band lol Edited by LeaveMyThingAlone

When I listen to the lyrics to Double Agent, I sometimes wonder if Neil is addressing addiction. As far as I know, none of the boys have had addiction issues, but I am sure Neil has been touched by someone who has. In fact, has Rush ever written a song about addiction? I thought it was a requirement to be in a rock band lol

I've heard Neil was decently into cocaine for awhile...so I guess that could be connected.

When I listen to the lyrics to Double Agent, I sometimes wonder if Neil is addressing addiction. As far as I know, none of the boys have had addiction issues, but I am sure Neil has been touched by someone who has. In fact, has Rush ever written a song about addiction? I thought it was a requirement to be in a rock band lol

I've heard Neil was decently into cocaine for awhile...so I guess that could be connected.

Never heard that before. When was he doing that?

I love Double Agent. I've never given much thought to what the lyrics meant though. All I know is combined with the music, the lyrics paint a very cool image. I love the "wilderness of mirrors" parts.

I love Double Agent. I've never given much thought to what the lyrics meant though. All I know is combined with the music, the lyrics paint a very cool image. I love the "wilderness of mirrors" parts.

Alex has mentioned that all three of them did some Coke in the late 70s and 80s, but I've heard that Neil kept the habit up for longer
  • Like 1

Alex has mentioned that all three of them did some Coke in the late 70s and 80s, but I've heard that Neil kept the habit up for longer

You have all the gossip, don't you? :LOL: :lol: :LOL: ;) ;) ;) :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :hug2:

• Like 1

Oh ok, that'll explain how they were able to write something as great as La Villa then :LOL:

• Like 2

i have unbelievable memories when this album came out. just totally awesome. roll the bones was obviously great but the band needed to do something extra special to resurrect their cutting edge in my view and this was it.

all they did really was ramp it up and pump up the juice.

absolutely fantastic album.

i need a new one, desperately.

• Like 2

I made my Own CP. It cuts Nobody's Hero, Between Sun and Moon and Speed of Love. Because upon multiple listens. those are the ones i'm less then thrilled with.

Comes in at 39 mins.

Mick

Speed Of Love has fallen off my radar as well, and Nobody's Heronis a really good melody, but the direct lyrics feel almost as obvious as reading poetry from a teen girls diary. Between Sun And Moon has a great chorus, but it is so un-Rush like I am not sure quite what to think of it!

I made my Own CP. It cuts Nobody's Hero, Between Sun and Moon and Speed of Love. Because upon multiple listens. those are the ones i'm less then thrilled with.

Comes in at 39 mins.

Mick

Speed Of Love has fallen off my radar as well, and Nobody's Heronis a really good melody, but the direct lyrics feel almost as obvious as reading poetry from a teen girls diary. Between Sun And Moon has a great chorus, but it is so un-Rush like I am not sure quite what to think of it!

My problem with both Nobody's hero and Between Sun and Moon. is they both just drag. I like the ideas but the execution is so poor. And Speed of Love.........so stupid and i don't mean fun stupid, lol

Mick

Love Nobody's Hero. The strings are a nice touch and Geddy's singing really well.

Overall, any minor issues I have are made up for by the fact the song itself is just great to listen too.

And the lyrics stay on the the right side of cringe.

Comes in at 39 mins.

Mick

My problem with both Nobody's hero and Between Sun and Moon. is they both just drag. I like the ideas but the execution is so poor. And Speed of Love.........so stupid and i don't mean fun stupid, lol

Mick

They drag...hmmm... That is my problem with certain other Rush songs, on the albums where they appear, but not those two.

(Actually, I'm only thinking of one Rush song that qualifies as such, at the moment).

Edited by Blue J
  • Like 2