The Counterparts Appreciation Thread (or moan fest thread)

Segue Myles

It's one reason i wasn't the most popular in school. these Clicky attitudes. i never went for any of it. Sometimes this place is like being back in school.

Shame really.

Mick

Well I said my piece.

Not sure at all what happened and why no one spoke directly to me but never mind.

No disrespect meant to Narps and Lorraine, but both of you are right I feel. I don't want to say what I feel on this issue due to the high probability of me getting in trouble for it, but I just wanted to thank you both for being cool to me. That is all. :)

Both Narps and Lorraine know i love them......and would rush to their side to defend them in a heartbeat. But you are ok in my book bud. you've never done a single thing to make me think otherwise.

i lie you a lot.

Mick

So would I bud, which is why I feel really let down. I really couldn't understand where they were coming from, and somehow me trying to amicably agree to disagree led to silly TRF drama.

I bet I will come out looking the bad guy, when really I have no clue why they lacked trust for me, when I always defend them.

Last of my sermons.

I don't think you did anything wrong. I just hope I didn't hurt any friendship you had with Narps or Lorraine.

I just feel that if I had somehow upset them, rather than leave cryptic barbs for me to try and use to connect dots, they should have just come to me. So the issue isn't you at all bud.

It is probably all my fault, but then again I wasn't and haven't been told directly where I went wrong, and I already tried to apologise.

Anyway: STICK IT OUT SUCKS!

• Like 1

It's one reason i wasn't the most popular in school. these Clicky attitudes. i never went for any of it. Sometimes this place is like being back in school.

Shame really.

Mick

Well I said my piece.

Not sure at all what happened and why no one spoke directly to me but never mind.

No disrespect meant to Narps and Lorraine, but both of you are right I feel. I don't want to say what I feel on this issue due to the high probability of me getting in trouble for it, but I just wanted to thank you both for being cool to me. That is all. :)

Both Narps and Lorraine know i love them......and would rush to their side to defend them in a heartbeat. But you are ok in my book bud. you've never done a single thing to make me think otherwise.

i lie you a lot.

Mick

So would I bud, which is why I feel really let down. I really couldn't understand where they were coming from, and somehow me trying to amicably agree to disagree led to silly TRF drama.

I bet I will come out looking the bad guy, when really I have no clue why they lacked trust for me, when I always defend them.

Last of my sermons.

I don't think you did anything wrong. I just hope I didn't hurt any friendship you had with Narps or Lorraine.

I just feel that if I had somehow upset them, rather than leave cryptic barbs for me to try and use to connect dots, they should have just come to me. So the issue isn't you at all bud.

It is probably all my fault, but then again I wasn't and haven't been told directly where I went wrong, and I already tried to apologise.

Anyway: STICK IT OUT SUCKS!

Aw, Stick It Out is awesome! Not the best track on the album, but I still really enjoy it!

Speed Of Love kinda is a dirt bag song. Replayed it! Love a couple of lines, but I never noticed how bored Geddy sounds.

Hmmm...well, it's not as engaging for me as a lot of their songs with more evident hooks, riffs, or complicated interplay. It's a decent tune. Not trademark Rush, but it's all right. Just not as good as most of the rest of the album.

In my opinion.

• Like 2

I just went back and saw the blow up.........you know......the one that really shouldn't have been a blow up. holy. shit.

that was not clled for. anyway. i shall say no more.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

Speed Of Love kinda is a dirt bag song. Replayed it! Love a couple of lines, but I never noticed how bored Geddy sounds.

Hmmm...well, it's not as engaging for me as a lot of their songs with more evident hooks, riffs, or complicated interplay. It's a decent tune. Not trademark Rush, but it's all right. Just not as good as most of the rest of the album.

In my opinion.

I almost feel like it fits better on Hold Your Fire or Power Windows. Counterparts was more of a hard rocking album overall, but Speed of Love puts that to an awkward halt that makes me like the song even less.

Hideous, hideous album with no redeeming qualities at all, possibly excepting Animate which rises to the dizzy heights of mediocrity.

Nobody's Hero in particular is a howler of epic proportions, and I can't listen to it without my buttocks clenching in embarrassment.

• Like 1

Hideous, hideous album with no redeeming qualities at all, possibly excepting Animate which rises to the dizzy heights of mediocrity.

Nobody's Hero in particular is a howler of epic proportions, and I can't listen to it without my buttocks clenching in embarrassment.

Hey look......my opinion from 2 weeks ago.

Just kidding. i get it. totally.

Mick

• Like 1

I just went back and saw the blow up.........you know......the one that really shouldn't have been a blow up. holy. shit.

that was not clled for. anyway. i shall say no more.

Mick

I did not go back to look for it, but even without reading it, I come to the same conclusion that you did- "I shall say no more." Exactly.

• Like 1

In my opinion.

I almost feel like it fits better on Hold Your Fire or Power Windows. Counterparts was more of a hard rocking album overall, but Speed of Love puts that to an awkward halt that makes me like the song even less.

I think you just wish it were on Hold Your Fire so you could dismiss it more easily. ;)

I am the co-ambassador for Hold Your Fire here on TRF, y'know...so I just had to say something. :)

• Like 1

In my opinion.

It went from a 9/10 to a 6/10. Not one of my least faves, but to be honest I really am amazed by how much I loved it at one time! Haha

But it is good. (Dirt bag was strong, just had hopes that phrase my kickstart a new conversation away from drama).

Also, I'd like to say (as some others already have) something in defense of Nobody's Hero. It seems to be the subject of some vehement dislike. And why? The lyrics, most say.

If we project that the subject matter is acceptance of others' sexuality, and tangentially about the tragedy of venereal disease...before you dismiss it as just preachy and you don't like it or whatever...I feel compelled to point out that it was written in 1992-'93...civil rights hadn't progressed anywhere near to the point that they have today, at least in the Western world. And AIDS had only been in existence for roughly ten years. There were a whole lot of backwards opinions, at that time. So...it's all about context.

That is all. :)

it's not the subject matter of the song which is actually quite worthy, it's the utterly ham-handed, cringeworthy way in which it was written...the first verse in particular is a staggering piece of lyrical ineptitude, and it comes across as an averagely bright thirteen year old trying to write about adult subjects he doesn't really understand yet.

• Like 1

In my opinion.

I think you just wish it were on Hold Your Fire so you could dismiss it more easily. ;)

I am the co-ambassador for Hold Your Fire here on TRF, y'know...so I just had to say something. :)

That's not what I meant, I just meant to say that I feel like Hold Your Fire is more slow and soft, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Speed of Love fits that tone much better than the rest of Counterparts in my opinion. :)

• Like 1

In my opinion.

That's not what I meant, I just meant to say that I feel like Hold Your Fire is more slow and soft, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Speed of Love fits that tone much better than the rest of Counterparts in my opinion. :)

I think that Speed Of Love would have fit well on Roll The Ones (it would have been a nicer choice than You Bet Your Life), as songs like Ghost Of A Chance and The Big Wheel would have completed a Love song trilogy.

• Like 1

In my opinion.

I think that Speed Of Love would have fit well on Roll The Ones (it would have been a nicer choice than You Bet Your Life), as songs like Ghost Of A Chance and The Big Wheel would have completed a Love song trilogy.

Yeah I can see that too.

• Like 1

In my opinion.

Yeah I can see that too.

All I know is that in my condensed version of CP, I like the song but I would have to cut it.

But I agree with Blue J, dumping it on HYF is wrong!

HYF is way too grand and perfect to contain SOL.

• Like 2

In my opinion.

Yeah I can see that too.

All I know is that in my condensed version of CP, I like the song but I would have to cut it.

I think a re-listening of Hold Your Fire is in order. Hopefully I can learn to appreciate it more.

• Like 1

In my opinion.

Yeah I can see that too.

I think a re-listening of Hold Your Fire is in order. Hopefully I can learn to appreciate it more.

Start by reading the lyrics, and appreciating the honesty! A lot of beauty there. Musically, plenty going on as well (personally I think this is Alex's most underrated effort, he really shines everywhere in this).

• Like 2

In my opinion.

Yeah I can see that too.

Start by reading the lyrics, and appreciating the honesty! A lot of beauty there. Musically, plenty going on as well (personally I think this is Alex's most underrated effort, he really shines everywhere in this).

Will do!

• Like 1

In my opinion.

Yeah I can see that too.

Will do!

Some call it wimpy, but I think it is the most mature and heartfelt albums the band has released, and Tai Shan, for all the flack it gets, works beautifully as a dreamlike distraction from the rest of the very to the point lyrical matter.

• Like 1

Some call it wimpy, but I think it is the most mature and heartfelt albums the band has released, and Tai Shan, for all the flack it gets, works beautifully as a dreamlike distraction from the rest of the very to the point lyrical matter.

I've just found it boring whenever I listen to it. I don't dislike it but it's just kind of forgettable. Maybe that will change with another listen though, I haven't heard it in a long time.

• Like 1

I've just found it boring whenever I listen to it. I don't dislike it but it's just kind of forgettable. Maybe that will change with another listen though, I haven't heard it in a long time.

Go back two years, when I started I was really upfront about how much I hated Power Windows, how boring the synth era was, and how I would never move beyond PoW except for CA. (Aside from Toto, I didn't even like cheesy AOR, I listened mostly to metal and post-hardcore haha!).

Then I got into Power Windows and I ate my hat! All of Rush appeals to me, but not all for the same reasons (I can even enjoy RTB in the right frame of mind!).

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

Go back two years, when I started I was really upfront about how much I hated Power Windows, how boring the synth era was, and how I would never move beyond PoW except for CA. (Aside from Toto, I didn't even like cheesy AOR, I listened mostly to metal and post-hardcore haha!).

Then I got into Power Windows and I ate my hat! All of Rush appeals to me, but not all for the same reasons (I can even enjoy RTB in the right frame of mind!).

Enjoying Roll The Bones? That's quite an impressive feat you have there... :D

In all seriousness, my Rush opinions have changed over time as well. I used to have the same opinion of Grace Under Pressure that I do Hold Your Fire, but after another listen I grew to love it.

• Like 2

HYF Is my fav Rush Album. Creepily it's their Stevie Nicks album. i'm serious. Stylistically. it's remarkably close to a high end Stevie Nick's album.

Mick

Yeah I remember you agreeing with a statement I made!

My beloved Open Secrets was playing, and my friend was like "dude stop playing Stevie Nicks". Upon learning it was Rush, he looked disgusted!

This is the same friend who told me to listen to other bands besides femme metal, only to shut up when I told him it was Rush (the album? Moving Pictures! I DON'T EVEN GET THE CONNECTION HAHA!).

• Like 2