Do you love JOURNEY?? Or do you think they suck??

treeduck

What do you think of JOURNEY?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Do you love JOURNEY? Or do you think they suck?

• I love all their stuff they're one of my absolute favourites!
    • They fuckking suck balls! I hate all their shit!
    • I only like the early years when they had prog sensibilities
    • I only like the Perry years 1978-83 (Raised on Radio doesn't count)
    • I love them now with their Asian YouTube kareoke star
    • Meh I just ignore them
    • I like one or two songs
    • I just like the Escape album
    • I like the one they did with Steve Augery
    • I only like the debut album

Bland 80s power ballad AOR....like Bon Jovi with a better guitar player.

"chick rock"

There 70s stuff, too?

*Crickets*.... :LOL:
  • Like 1

I have to admit though that some of their songs(especially "open arms" and "faithfully") make me a little queasy. I think like Foreigner they were best when they rocked out. They should have left the emotional and sentimental stuff to Air Supply or Lionel Richie.
  • Like 1

I have to admit though that some of their songs(especially "open arms" and "faithfully") make me a little queasy. I think like Foreigner they were best when they rocked out. They should have left the emotional and sentimental stuff to Air Supply or Lionel Richie.

Perry wanted the romantic Motwown sound to permeate the band's repertoire.

I only really like Infinity, Evolution, Departure, and sometimes Escape. Honestly Escape isn't my favorite but I listen to it on occasion. I have Frontiers and it's okay but I rarely listen to it. Those first three are my go to Journey albums.
  • Like 4

"chick rock"

There 70s stuff, too?

That gets forgotten after they soldout to pussy power ballads.

"chick rock"

There 70s stuff, too?

*Crickets*.... :LOL:

Sorry it takes me a while to respond to the forum because I don't live on here all damn day.

• Like 1

The last one I heard by them is "raised on radio." It's actually not too bad but I think they were past their peak at this point for sure. Some of their later albums are supposed to be good also. I can also make a comparison with Van Halen. I've never heard any VH after 0u812 but some of their later albums are supposed to be good also. Maybe the two bands should tour together.

Journey was/is the epitome of a professional corporate rock band designed to release popular, easy on the ears, mass consumption rock music. Some of it very good.

I don't dispute that you may be or are in fact a music expert, but I am at a loss as to how you can say that just about Journey when what you posted could be said about almost any band back then.

Journey was/is the epitome of a professional corporate rock band designed to release popular, easy on the ears, mass consumption rock music. Some of it very good.

I don't dispute that you may be or are in fact a music expert, but I am at a loss as to how you can say that just about Journey when what you posted could be said about almost any band back then.

How anyone could watch that 17 minutes or so of Midnight Special (shining its ever love'in light on you :LOL: ) and not think that is a thing of beauty is beyond me. That Infinity album is the stars aligning just right and perfection to my ears. What happened a few years down the road may not be everyone's cup of tea but the Perry/ Rolie/Schon/Valory/Dunbar then Smith were magic if only for a limited time. When Cain came on board the band did loose something no doubt. The Rolie/Perry duo was iconic and I only wish it had continued for much longer.... :( Edited by Narps
  • Like 2

Their record company "nudged" them in the direction of being more commercial so they would sell more albums. That's the reason why they "hired" Steve Perry. Less jazzy and proggy by record company dictate. Steve Perry is not John Lydon. Also, I don't think, in fact, that I am a musical expert.

• Like 1

How anyone could watch that 17 minutes or so of Midnight Special (shining its ever love'in light on you :LOL: ) and not think that is a thing of beauty is beyond me. That Infinity album is the stars aligning just right and perfection to my ears. What happened a few years down the road may not be everyone's cup of tea but the Perry/ Rolie/Schon/Valory/Dunbar then Smith were magic if only for a limited time. When Cain came on board the band did loose something no doubt. The Rolie/Perry duo was iconic and I only wish it had continued for much longer.... :(

How anyone could watch that 17 minutes or so of Midnight Special (shining its ever love'in light on you :LOL: ) and not think that is a thing of beauty is beyond me. That Infinity album is the stars aligning just right and perfection to my ears. What happened a few years down the road may not be everyone's cup of tea but the Perry/ Rolie/Schon/Valory/Dunbar then Smith were magic if only for a limited time. When Cain came on board the band did loose something no doubt. The Rolie/Perry duo was iconic and I only wish it had continued for much longer.... :(

Are you guys intentionally ignoring my opinion that some of Journey's music is very good?

• Like 1

Their record company "nudged" them in the direction of being more commercial so they would sell more albums. That's the reason why they "hired" Steve Perry. Less jazzy and proggy by record company dictate. Steve Perry is not John Lydon. Also, I don't think, in fact, that I am a musical expert.

You are to me! :) You seem to know a lot about everything to do with music. So, in my book, that's an expert! :LOL:

I know that Steve Perry was hired, and that they (Journey) went through a few managers, but they were talented and Steve Perry could sure sing!

Are you guys intentionally ignoring my opinion that some of Journey's music is very good?

I wasn't. Journey in my opinion is comparable to Styx in that regard as far as I am concerned. Sort of mirror images and pretty much in the same exact era and years of real success and greatness. There is much to enjoy with both bands but you have to know which albums to choose to get the very best. Didn't mean there to be any confusion... :)
  • Like 1

:no:

The Monkees were a manufactured band too. I just thought of that. i can say today what I would never have admitted in the late sixties - i think they had some very good songs.

• Like 2