Different Strings

Text For Echo

What is another band you love intensely that is musically opposite of Rush somehow? Mine answer is Phish. Go!

Awesome, suffice it to say that Phish actually replaced Rush in my affections for a while there, jumped on board around A Live One/Hoist and didn't look back. Actually I hadn't been listening to Rush for a while by then, but they just seemed to occupy that same space in my affectionns. I haven't actually listened to them on a regular basis since about 2002, incidentally thats about when VT came out and well....

I would go a step further and say the Dead, but I would perhaps go even deeper and say Zappa/Beefheart, but that is about polar opposite from the Dead/Phish as you can get without getting into The Fall's territory.

• Like 2

What is another band you love intensely that is musically the opposite of Rush in some way? Mine is Phish. Go!

I like a good bit of Phish music. Not everything, but a lot of it.

A few of mine:

The Black Crowes

The Grateful Dead

The Allman Brothers Band

Ray LaMontagne

Joni Mitchell

James Taylor

Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Rahsaan Roland Kirk, Charles Mingus, etc...(you get the hang, I trust)

Marvin Gaye, Aretha Franklin, Stevie Wonder, Otis Redding, Sam Cooke, et. al.

I could go on and on...and on...

• Like 3

All that comes to mind is possibly "Weezer".

I consider a vast majority of the rock / metal that I like too similar to Rush either technically or melodically to ever consider them as "opposite"

(PS this thread belongs in MOTS or "Rush", not RS)

Edited by Mr. Not
  • Like 1

Phish...got Junta, Rift, Hoist, and Round Room. I've seen them a few times back in the 90s too. I have memories of hippies and pseudo-hippies grilling grilled cheese sandwiches in the parking lot after the gigs and passing spliffs as if Mary Jane had already been legal. 15 minute jams with lyrical content limited to "UB40" and "David Bowie". Fun.

However, if I tried to relive those days today I'd probably wind up accidentally suffocating on some chick's patchouli scented armpits while passing her the bong in the back of a VW bus half an hour BEFORE the show!

• Like 2

What is another band you love intensely that is musically opposite of Rush somehow? Mine answer is Phish. Go!

Awesome, suffice it to say that Phish actually replaced Rush in my affections for a while there, jumped on board around A Live One/Hoist and didn't look back. Actually I hadn't been listening to Rush for a while by then, but they just seemed to occupy that same space in my affectionns. I haven't actually listened to them on a regular basis since about 2002, incidentally thats about when VT came out and well....

I would go a step further and say the Dead, but I would perhaps go even deeper and say Zappa/Beefheart, but that is about polar opposite from the Dead/Phish as you can get without getting into The Fall's territory.

Phish replaced my affections years ago as well. I loved their prog-ish compositional side mixed with the beautiful improv stuff. Plus the fact that they play a different setlist every night made them very different from Rush to my ears. I would recommend seeing a Phish concert nowadays. They are scary good!

Oh and by the way, I'm a huge Zappa fan too! HUGE! We should start a Zappa thread lol

I really LOVE the music of Dreadzone.

Also a huge fan of Twin Atlantic.

Both are light years removed from the RUSH sound.

Thanks bud I've never heard either of em but I'll look em up!

What is another band you love intensely that is musically the opposite of Rush in some way? Mine is Phish. Go!

I like a good bit of Phish music. Not everything, but a lot of it.

A few of mine:

The Black Crowes

The Grateful Dead

The Allman Brothers Band

Ray LaMontagne

Joni Mitchell

James Taylor

Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Rahsaan Roland Kirk, Charles Mingus, etc...(you get the hang, I trust)

Marvin Gaye, Aretha Franklin, Stevie Wonder, Otis Redding, Sam Cooke, et. al.

I could go on and on...and on...

My 3 jam hero bands as a highschooler were the Allmans, Cream, and the Dead. Quickly followed by Miles and later Coltrane stuff like Sun Ship. Nice! I'm glad I did this thread!

Edited by Text For Echo
  • Like 1

Growing up, both my Mom and Dad had music playing all the time, so I absorbed a lot from an early age ... Music was a huge part of our family . .

Some of the music I love and listen to these days that is different from Rush:

- AKB48

- Social Distortion

- Earth, Wind And Fire

- Momoiro Clover Z

- ABBA

- Dwight Yoakam

- Dead Boys

- Ramones

- The Carpenters

- Ray Conniff

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 1

All that comes to mind is possibly "Weezer".

I consider a vast majority of the rock / metal that I like too similar to Rush either technically or melodically to ever consider them as "opposite"

(PS this thread belongs in MOTS or "Rush", not RS)

Love Weezer! Lol yeah sorry bud. I actually have this thread in Random Samples also but I thought it fit better here. I'm still learning the ropes but I really like this forum!

Edited by Text For Echo